Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
Mygrrls
Mygrrls began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
iPad formatting issues

I am new to all of this and I am having some difficulty converting a file so I can read it on my iPad. I believe that the trouble is around the page break. When I transfer the file I am unable to see the whole page. If I make the text smaller more of the page shows and if I make the text larger less of the page shows. Does anyone know how to fix this. I am trying to convert a non-DRM epub file.

Thanks,
Mygrrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the linearize tables conversion option.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Mygrrls

Correction

I don't need help with DRM removal I just need to know how to format the file for my iPad. I just wanted you to know that the file does not have a DRM on it.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is NOT an iPad issue but an issue with either the eBook you are trying to read or the app you are using. Please specify which app it is and then request that a moderator fix the topic to what the issue really is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Mygrrls

I am sorry for not being as up on this technology as you are. I didn't realize that my iPad could have several different readers. I am just using the software provided by my device. You are not very understanding towards others and actually kind of mean.
Advert
Old 03-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygrrls View Post
I am sorry for not being as up on this technology as you are. I didn't realize that my iPad could have several different readers. I am just using the software provided by my device. You are not very understanding towards others and actually kind of mean.
The problem is many people blame the iPad and it's not the iPad, but the app. In this case, it's iBooks and iBooks does wonky things that need work arounds for these wonky things. There's not a lot anyone can do to help unless you post the code that is causing the problem.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Mygrrls

I never said that it was a problem with the iPad and I appreciate you talking about codes and such but I guess you didn't notice that I said I am new at this.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Hi Mygrrls! Welcome to MobileRead.

Have you tried what Kovid suggested?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use the linearize tables conversion option.
(The bit about DRM wasn't directed especially towards your post, it's in his signature and shows every time he posts.)

Here is how to find the option, in case you haven‘t tried it yet: Open up the conversion window in calibre, select Look & Feel, and on the right-hand side of the window you'll find the option to linearize tables. Select this and do your conversion.

Hopefully that will sort it out.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Is this a problem in all the pages or just one?
Old 03-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
Mygrrls

I tried what Kovid said but it didn't work. It is on all pages for example I will have at the top of the page table of contents then it goes to say page 50 and the rest you would expect on the next page except I have Chapter 1 and the first few paragraphs then the next page is references for the first chapter. If I shrink the text I can see more of the text and if I enlarge text I can see less of it. It does reflow however. It's so weird. I can see the text just fine on the calibre reader. It's really frustrating. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:21 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I've just worked my way down to this forum, and think we have a duplicate thread here.

If I'm right I suggest, if I may, that this not a good idea - most people find that duplicate threads are disparaged.

If I'm wrong and this is a new thread I apologise.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:48 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygrrls View Post
I tried what Kovid said but it didn't work. It is on all pages for example I will have at the top of the page table of contents then it goes to say page 50 and the rest you would expect on the next page except I have Chapter 1 and the first few paragraphs then the next page is references for the first chapter. If I shrink the text I can see more of the text and if I enlarge text I can see less of it. It does reflow however. It's so weird. I can see the text just fine on the calibre reader. It's really frustrating. Thanks for the help.
Page 50?
There are no (old style) Page Numbers in EPUB.
EPUB can have 'anchors' that can be accessed from links in other places, And Yes, you could create an in-line TOC with links to those anchors or simply, start of section file.

What you appear to have is an (poor, uncorrected) OCR conversion with the remnants (headers and footers) of a printed page.

You may have a paragraph Margin (top and or bottom) problem.
The puzzler is you say it looks OK in the Calibre viewer. I would expect a over sized margin to show there.
Note: Calibre's viewer (and coolreader) connect the files when displayed and you never see the file transitions. Your document may be so severely fragmented, that you need to do a 'Next Page' rather than scroll to the bottom.

Your book may actually be a original page per EPUB section and you need to do a Next Page. (really, you need to edit the file and combin the pieces as needed. Sigil is good for this type of repair.

ADE and others, treat each new file (EPUB section) as a distinct new 'Page'.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote