Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
otaviomacedo
otaviomacedo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
Why such a difference in information between the browser and the device?

When I log on to my account on the Sony Reader Store using my Sony reader PRS-T1 and search for a certain book, it doesn't return any results. When I search using the same keywords using a browser in my PC, it finds several matches for that search. In addition, the information displayed on "My Account Overview" (using the reader's browser) is different from that displayed in a normal browser. For example, the "Buy Now" option is enabled on my device and disabled on my PC.

I have already made sure that I am using the same account both on the PC and the device (same email = same account, right?). Why is there such a difference?
otaviomacedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
I would point to the differences in the browsers and how they may render stuff... your device has an Android browser while your pc will have a mozilla (Firefox) or an ms one i am old enough to remember the old Netscape/Explorer times when some sites would not even display if you were using the "wrong" browser I suspect this is the reason you see differences, of course I could be completely wrong lol.....
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
otaviomacedo
otaviomacedo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
No, I don't think it's that. The information is consistent across browsers (Firefox, Opera and Chrome, at least). Besides, I'd expect to see differences in presentation of data, like distorted tables, scripts that throw errors etc; not differences in the information itself, which suggests that the problem (if there is one) is on the server side.
otaviomacedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is very weird ... but I would still point to the browser and how it presents your query or request to the server the server will identify your device/browser-and will respond accordingly...... I must say I haven't come across that myself, if you do find a definitive answer please share it here good luck....
Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Do you have an example of a keyword that you are searching on that returns different results? Then someone can try to replicate your issue.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
bla
E bookworm

Again...Different browsers will do searches differently, some will treat the search string as a "regular expression" some as plain text etc it can be frustrating but absent any real standards it's not going to change anytime soon.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
Again...Different browsers will do searches differently, some will treat the search string as a "regular expression" some as plain text etc it can be frustrating but absent any real standards it's not going to change anytime soon.
I think when doing a book search it'll probably be the server doing the searching, not your browser.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The OP says that a search on the Reader Store with the T1 gets no results. If the OP provided a specific example, then perhaps someone could recommend an alternate way to search on the T1 to return better results.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote