Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
barkndog
Enthusiast
barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle DX (1st gen), iPad, Toshiba Thrive, Acer Iconia A100
Nook Color questions - General info, kids books and games

Need a little help here, thought maybe some of you with a Nook Color could give me some info.

My kids love playing with my iPad and I'm wanting to get the kids tablets for Christmas. The older kids are allowed to bring tablets to school to use for research on the internet. There's no way I can afford iPads for them all and I notice I could get a refurb Nook Color for about $150.00. I know that, as a tablet, the Nook Color would not be as versatile or as fast as an iPad, but for my kids I think a tablet that is geared toward reading is a good thing. But they'll also want the games, internet browsing and email as well. So, a few questions (with observations):

I looked at the Barnes and Nobel app store, everything seems expensive compared to the Apple app store and Amazon. Books especially. With my iPad (and my Kindle) I can find free books and side load - I assume that is possible with the Nook? If so, what is the best format?

Are the children's interactive books worth the price? (I have a 1st grader that could use some reading help). Are there some good low priced ones out there?

If I have multiple Nooks, can BN purchased books and games be shared between the two? For example, one BN account on multiple Nooks?

Does Netflix work on the Nook Color? without rooting?

What is the general feeling on the default browser and email client? Can the email client support multiple accounts?

Do graphical games (ok, Angry Birds) run smoothly on the Nook Color?

Anybody have experience with educational apps? What did you think of them?

I've considered the Nook Tablet because of the dual processors and additional memory. I've also considered a cheap general purpose tablet in line with the Archos 80 G9 that has dual processors and a more generic interface - and it would have access to the android market. But these options are more expensive, and neither have a lot of reviews yet.

Thanks for any info, sorry for the long post. If I do decide to go with a Nook Color, anybody upgrading to a tablet that might want to give me a deal?
barkndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkndog View Post
Need a little help here, thought maybe some of you with a Nook Color could give me some info.

My kids love playing with my iPad and I'm wanting to get the kids tablets for Christmas. The older kids are allowed to bring tablets to school to use for research on the internet. There's no way I can afford iPads for them all and I notice I could get a refurb Nook Color for about $150.00. I know that, as a tablet, the Nook Color would not be as versatile or as fast as an iPad, but for my kids I think a tablet that is geared toward reading is a good thing. But they'll also want the games, internet browsing and email as well. So, a few questions (with observations):

I looked at the Barnes and Nobel app store, everything seems expensive compared to the Apple app store and Amazon. Books especially. With my iPad (and my Kindle) I can find free books and side load - I assume that is possible with the Nook? If so, what is the best format?
Certainly can sideload - epub is the best format (unless rooted - then format becomes less important)

Quote:
Are the children's interactive books worth the price? (I have a 1st grader that could use some reading help). Are there some good low priced ones out there?
Yes, there are some great interactive childrens books on B&N. $10 seems to be the going rate. They are "worth it" as much as any other ebook is worht $10 (if you root, there other "apps" that are just interactive books - such as Sandra Boynton "The Going to Bed Book" - it is $2.99 - a real bargain!)

Quote:
If I have multiple Nooks, can BN purchased books and games be shared between the two? For example, one BN account on multiple Nooks?
Yes.

Quote:
Currently Netflix only works after "rooting" - or at least booting up off an SD card w/ full Android.

Quote:
What is the general feeling on the default browser and email client? Can the email client support multiple accounts?
Default browser is Ok. I dont' think there are multiple tabs available. I can't remember if flash is available in default browser, but I think it is now (after an update). Don't know about multiple email accounts in the default email client.

After rooting - alternate browsers provide tabs, flash. After rooting - email clients support mutliple accounts.

Quote:
Yes. If rooted, they are generally free, too. On the B&N "app store", they cost ($2.99 for Angry Birds).

Quote:
Memory games are the closest my kids have to educational on the Nook. Check out the android market (see below) to see more.

Quote:
I've considered the Nook Tablet because of the dual processors and additional memory. I've also considered a cheap general purpose tablet in line with the Archos 80 G9 that has dual processors and a more generic interface - and it would have access to the android market. But these options are more expensive, and neither have a lot of reviews yet.

Thanks for any info, sorry for the long post. If I do decide to go with a Nook Color, anybody upgrading to a tablet that might want to give me a deal?
The refurbs are a great deal at $139/$149. The option to run full android from SD card or dual boot is great. The only reason I kept the B&N software on my dualboot was for the kids books (they don't work on the Android B&N app). But I have started buying the Sandra Boynton book apps at $2.99 instead of the $10 kids books on B&N, and I rarely boot into B&N anymore on the Nook.

If you aren't familiar with Android apps, you can go to
http://market.android.com and browse the apps from your computer.

For $139 (refurb), The NC w/ CM7 is GREAT tablet for kids.

Last edited by jasoraso; 11-08-2011 at 06:45 PM.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:

The 1.4 update next month will add Netflix to the NC. With 1.4 the NC will get about the same software features at the NT.

There is no advertising in NC apps. That is why some apps are not free on the NC, but are free on other platforms.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
I have been thinking of buying an NC but have heard that you can not sideload and install apps. Is this true?

Thanks -John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
barkndog
Enthusiast
barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.

Thanks for the quick - and very detailed- responses. I greatly appreciate the information.

Nice to know that Netflix is coming to the Nook Color, that probably makes my decision easier. All of my kids love streaming old cartoons and movies.

I did a google search on Sandra Boynton for the kids books, found an odd (and funny) site. Later checked it at the BN website, the Nook Books by her are priced in the 3-5.00$ range, so that's acceptable.

jasoraso and geertm, you guys have been a big help, thanks again.
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
I have been thinking of buying an NC but have heard that you can not sideload and install apps. Is this true?

Thanks -John
You can only buy apps from the B&N app store. There are already more than 1000 apps in the store. See this link:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?dref=4815&sort=SA

Of course if you root the NC you have access to the Android Market.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I'm totally amazed that anyone with kids doesn't know Sandra Boynton. I was an admirer long before she started doing kids' books.

Her books are great, her music is great, she's great.

Tickle time!
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
Blue hat, green hat....OOPS!
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
mom2teebee
mom2teebee began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
In March we got Nook Colors and the kids (8 & 3) each have their own. Currently the NC's are stock and running CM7 off of a 16gb Sandisk SD card that I did myself.

My 3 year old loves the Little Critter apps/books and the Dr. Seuss books. Once rooted or running CM7 you can get apps from either the Android Market or Amazon's app store. The benefit of rooting is you keep the B&N interface and stock reader all in one place. It isn't difficult to dual boot though.

I think at $150 for refurbished that NC is a great deal since there is much you can do with it.
mom2teebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
Charger1
Charger1 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Having issues connecting my new NC to my home network. Using an Apple Time Capsule/Airport module for my wireless network...any suggestions???
Charger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:19 AM   #11
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger1 View Post
Having issues connecting my new NC to my home network. Using an Apple Time Capsule/Airport module for my wireless network...any suggestions???
Make sure you are using your Wifi password (passphrase), not the admin password of your router.

If you are using WEP, the NC only supports WEP open, not WEP shared key.

If you are using an N router, reduce the speed to G.

If there is a firmware update available for your router, update your firmware.

If your NC is not running firmware 1.3, than update to 1.3.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #12
barkndog
Enthusiast

An update: instead of a Nook Color, I purchased a Nook Tablet for my youngest (6 years old). I haven't opened it yet, but I plan to set it up and have Santa deliver it on Christmas.

For one of my older kids, I couldn't resist the Best Buy Black Friday pre-sale for rewards members - I got a Toshiba Thrive for 280$ - the Asus Transformer sold out in less than five minutes, it was 250$. Gonna still try to get one of those at the true black Friday sale on Friday. My oldest is in middle school, and the school encourages them to bring laptops and tablets for research - the school offers wifi for the students. So a generic, full size tablet will probably work best for her anyway.

But I think this Nook Tablet is going to be perfect for my six year old, she needs reading help and from what I can tell the Nook can help. I like that it has a microphone and (supposedly) I can record myself reading books on it. I've also seen where apps can be sideloaded on this tablet, so I can probably get access to the Android Market for some additional apps.

If anyone knows of B&N educational apps/games good for a first grader, I'd appreciate recommendations and reviews. Again, thanks everyone who has contributed in this thread, it helped me decide on the NT over the Kindle Fire.