Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Nalj
Nalj began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Not detecting books in main memory

Hi everyone,

I just got my Kobo touch a couple days ago and I'm pretty excited!
One significant problem I am encountering though is that my device won't detect my ePubs! I send them to my device using Calibre, to the main memory since I don't have an external SD card on the device. Calibre shows that my ePubs are on the device and they're all present when I open up the Kobo using Finder on my Mac. So the files arethere.

However, my Kobo never detects these files despite my computer and Calibre both saying they are there! Processing content sign will come on but when it's done processes the new ePubs still aren't detected. I've tried restarting a number of times with no luck.

I'm running Kobo with the latest update 1.9.6. Is there anyway to force my Kobo to "refresh " it's memory or rescan the memory?

Many thanks in advance!
Nalj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Try the paperclip reset while you books are loaded. There is also some talk about calibre not properly ejecting the Kobo Touch hence the glitches.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
This has helped some folks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I had to delete the books using calibre. Then eject the device. Close calibre. Then plug it up again and see if the books were in the directory (they were in the .trash folder). Then I deleted those .calibre files on the device. Then opened calibre (showing no books on the device) and resent them. It took me 1/2 hour to figure out what the heck was going on.
The .calibre files mentioned above are metadata.calibre and driveinfo.calibre.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
Nalj

Do these problems have to do with the latest software update?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
register512
Kobo Touch User
register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm quite new to this game, having just bought my Kobo Touch this afternoon, however I've experienced the same problem, namely that my books don't seem to be available after they've been sent to the reader by Calibre. BTW, this is also based on placement in the main memory, as I am not (as yet) using an SD card.

There does seem to be a quick solution, though. First, the problem seems to be that Calibre groups the books by author, and places each author in a separate directory.

However, it appears that the Touch doesn't understand a directory structure (odd, wouldn't you think). I found that if I moved the books out of the subordinate author directories, and placed them up one level in the structure, then the Touch recognized them right away. It went through its "Processing content" dance, and after that I could read all the books, and see them in the Library.

This has the unfortunate effect of making somewhat of a mess of the Kobo's storage structure, but at least it makes the books available. I don't know whether to consider this as a problem that should be rectified by the Kobo developers, or whether it's a Calibre issue. It could be that the Calibre support files (metadata.calibre and driveinfo.calibre) are not compatible with the new Touch software, so that the issue is that Calibre needs to catch up.

My inflated $0.02.
register512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by register512 View Post
There does seem to be a quick solution, though. First, the problem seems to be that Calibre groups the books by author, and places each author in a separate directory.

However, it appears that the Touch doesn't understand a directory structure (odd, wouldn't you think). I found that if I moved the books out of the subordinate author directories, and placed them up one level in the structure, then the Touch recognized them right away. It went through its "Processing content" dance, and after that I could read all the books, and see them in the Library.
I too just got a Touch this afternoon - and moved my ~400 books from the original Kobo over. I do have everything in folders grouped by author, within a 'Books' folder - and didn't have any problems. Took maybe 10-15 minutes for the process all the files

Only other thing I did beforehand is to back up all of the files, then erase everything in the kepub and images directories, and also delete everything from the content and volume_shortcovers (i think that is the right one) tables via my Sqlite manager plugin within firefox.
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
Sher0808
Sher0808
Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
I just got my Kobo last week and besides the Kobo desktop software, I downloaded Calibre and Adobe Digital Editions. I found that it was really easy using the Kobo desktop software by syncing it. Another way is plugging your e-reader in and opening ADE. Once there, you will see a file on the left come up for the Kobo e-books. You take all books in main directory and just drag and drop into the Kobo ebook file. HTH. I haven't had a problem this way at all.
Sher0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:09 AM   #8
register512
Kobo Touch User
register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Touch
SCION, and thp1017 -- OK, this is a little weird, but the end result is fine, so I'm not complaining...

After seeing your posts, I hooked up my Touch, and cleared all the books that had been copied over before. I then reselected them in Calibre, and sent them over again. They were once again organized into directories grouped by author. I ejected the unit, unplugged, and waited for the Processing... to end.

And guess what -- I can see all of the books in the Library, I can sort them by title or author, and I can read them.

Unlike you, I didn't delete any of the default stuff from the unit, but I did make a backup copy in case I decided to go that far.

Chalk it up to teething pains, I guess. It may be something to do with Calibre not having full support for the Touch yet. I think that will likely happen pretty soon.

Cheers

Last edited by register512; 07-23-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: proper threading
register512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalj View Post
Hi everyone,

I just got my Kobo touch a couple days ago and I'm pretty excited!
One significant problem I am encountering though is that my device won't detect my ePubs! I send them to my device using Calibre, to the main memory since I don't have an external SD card on the device. Calibre shows that my ePubs are on the device and they're all present when I open up the Kobo using Finder on my Mac. So the files arethere.

However, my Kobo never detects these files despite my computer and Calibre both saying they are there! Processing content sign will come on but when it's done processes the new ePubs still aren't detected. I've tried restarting a number of times with no luck.

I'm running Kobo with the latest update 1.9.6. Is there anyway to force my Kobo to "refresh " it's memory or rescan the memory?

Many thanks in advance!
Acutally I think the issue is Calibre. I have had no luck using calibre to push the books on my touch and ge the covers displayed. However when i do a facotry reset my covers show up. the epubs are stored on my sd card but are not deleted when one does a factory reset. Once kobo has been restored and updated and it processes the content every thing is great, Untill I start using calibre again and then i cant get covers to show etc. So now I dont use calibre to manage my books on my device and I dont allow it to communicate. An interesting side note here is that Books that i drag and drop onto my device from calibre... all work with the covers but if i use calibre to do it those covers will never appear on my device .

So I am certain that calibre is at fault for alot of the issues we seem to be seeing. It certainly is a common denominator.

good luck

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
So I am certain that calibre is at fault for alot of the issues we seem to be seeing. It certainly is a common denominator.
Then you might find it ironic that my wife recently used Calibre to solve a similar problem. Some public domain books installed with Adobe Digital Editions and dragged and dropped directly onto the Kobo Touch wouldn't show up even though we confirmed they were actually installed on the device itself and it did it's update thing. Then she tried Calibre and everything loaded without a hitch. I suspect it was a corrupted epub file that was aborting the update process that Calibre somehow automagically fixed.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 07-27-2011 at 08:34 PM.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
It might not be related, but from my own experience and what I could read about the touch support in calibre. If for example you delete a book in calibre and add it back to it without first disconnecting, the book would not be detected, because they are still in the database. The Kobo will only clear it's database when it is opening.

You might see a expired tag in the device view in calibre which could hint at this.

Beside this small problem I never had any problem at all and I have mine since the first day. Adding around 300 books in 1 shot in calibre and no problem at all. I also don't see why the .calibre file would interfere at all since the have nothing to do with the kobo.

You might want to download a sqlite database viewer and check the sqlite file inside the .kobo directory, this file is the database and look if the books are really there after they have been processed.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:13 AM   #12
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
It might not be related, but from my own experience and what I could read about the touch support in calibre. If for example you delete a book in calibre and add it back to it without first disconnecting, the book would not be detected, because they are still in the database.
I was happily adding books to my KT with Calibre, until I decided to replace one with a nicer PDF to epub conversion. Like you say, I deleted the one version from the Touch and, without disconnecting, replaced it with the new version (of the same book). Not only did it not show up properly, but other books I had sideloaded were no longer available.

Looking with Windows Explorer, I discovered that these bad books were now 0 byte files. I deleted them all, and the *.calibre files, ejected the Touch, plugged it back in again and started Calibre, and everything seems fine again.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #13
Nalj

I wish calibre and kobo would just play nice and do what I want it to