Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #31
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Guess I'm another lucky TF owner, mine has no issues. Please remember that people are far, far more likely to take the time to make a complaint. Not that complaints aren't valid and it does seem that a number of TFs have problems.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #32
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
i really wish i didn't have any of the problems... i could have lived with most of them, but the frame separation is one that had me worried since it got worse the longer i had it.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #33
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Funny you mention frame separation because I was watching a very favorable review of the TF on YouTube and the person doing the review was flipping the device mentioning the back texture, etc. and then suddenly stopped, surprised, and said, "oh, there seems to be a little separation on this corner where the back meets the front. Hmm, not on the other 3 corners."

I blew it off til hearing your comments. I think I will let this tablet bake 6 months. I'm sure most are fine, but I am in the anal camp when it comes to overall quality of a product. If I spend this much it has to be super sound design-wise. I am sure they will hear the criticism and work that out.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #34
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
I'm sure most are fine, but I am in the anal camp when it comes to overall quality of a product. If I spend this much it has to be super sound design-wise. I am sure they will hear the criticism and work that out.
me too, lol. what may have made it worse was the fact that i had to keep squishing it every time i held it. i couldn't stop!

it was first the lower left corner then creeped up to the middle left. then the lower right corner started.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #35
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Not sure how long it will last but Best Buy has them. Just ordered one.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #36
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Not sure how long it will last but Best Buy has them. Just ordered one.
still showing available for the 16g,, 32g is sold out
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I have the dock on order and have no idea when I'll see it but the dock is why I am trying out the TF. I'm seeing the TF as a laptop/netbook replacement.
I've read a number of reviews which have commented that the weight distribution is an issue when using the dock. In the TF, most of the weight is (obviously) in the screen portion of the device, compared to a normal laptop where most of it is under the keyboard. This seemingly makes it "top heavy" and difficult to use on your lap without it tipping over.

I'll be interested to hear your views on this when you receive your dock.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #38
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Harry:

The dock works well with the ASUS Transformer, especially on hard surfaces, as it has rubber feet underneath the pivot connector holding the screen to the dock. The interaction of this "connector" is such that it angles upward the dock and, at the same time, the rubber feet stop it from sliding backwards. It is most stable and doesn't exhibit any "tipping". The keyboard is then slightly angled downward from there. A most impressive design!

Actually, my ASUS eee PC 1000H netbook experiences that tipping when I tilt the screen too far back, as it's keyboard is missing the heavy components usually found in laptops, i.e. cd-rom, off-centered battery pack, ...

Regards,
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Harry:

The dock works well with the ASUS Transformer, especially on hard surfaces, as it has rubber feet underneath the pivot connector holding the screen to the dock. The interaction of this "connector" is such that it angles upward the dock and, at the same time, the rubber feet stop it from sliding backwards. It is most stable and doesn't exhibit any "tipping". The keyboard is then slightly angled downward from there. A most impressive designed!
Thank you - that's good to hear!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #40
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've read a number of reviews which have commented that the weight distribution is an issue when using the dock. In the TF, most of the weight is (obviously) in the screen portion of the device, compared to a normal laptop where most of it is under the keyboard. This seemingly makes it "top heavy" and difficult to use on your lap without it tipping over.

I have no issues working with the dock on a hard surface and most of the time I use it on a tilted surface. On your lap it's a little tippy but no worse, IMO, than juggling a fullsize laptop.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #41
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
it's been almost two full days and the 16G wifi only still shows 'add to cart" on Best Buy's website. This is a good sign. Seems like Asus has stock piled Best Buy's online sotre. Hopeful instore and keyboard dock is not too far behing.

still sold out everywhere else from Amazon (the non third party) Target, Walmart etc.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #42
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Now if we can just get more docks! I received my TF yesterday and so far I'm quite happy. No frame separation on mine, by the way.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #43
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

IMO, the majority of TF's are fine but people are more likely to complain loudly.

Good luck with finding a dock!
Old 05-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #44
Ellipsys
Ellipsys began at the beginning.

Device: Asus EeePad Transformer
I just bought a Transformer to be my primary tablet/e-reader device. I have the dock on order, but who knows when it will get here. For anyone wondering these are the "proper" prices

16gb Transformer (tablet only) - $399
32gb Transformer (tablet only) - $499
Transformer Dock/Keyboard (only) - $150
Package 32gb Transformer + Dock - $650

The vast majority of sellers these days are selling WAY above that - 500+ for just the 16gb!

Overall, I like it but I'm having the following issues...

1. It does seem the right speaker is louder than left, as aforementioned. For awhile I was worried it was a mono-output device. Not a huge deal, but I wonder what the cause is.
2. I'd like to "decrapify" it and disable the Asus preinstalled widgets in favor of my own, but I've not found a tutorial as to how to do so safely and completely.
3. The biggest issue I've found to date - Video Playback. I've tried a handful of video players and nearly all of them are choppy on a typical 720p HDTV mkv format rip. Now, this thing plays Vendetta Online and Dungeon Defenders, some higher end 3d graphical offerings, without any trouble. The thing is advertised to play 1080p video (via HDMI out), so I figured simple 720p on the screen wouldn't be an issue. If I can't find a solution, its going back.

That said, aside from video playback (which I am assured is a bug, fixable by Honeycomb 3.1 or another patch) its easily one of the most powerful/thinnest tablets I've found and has a nice feature set.

For reading, I've picked up Moon+ Reader Pro from the Android Market. Inexpensive (and there is a free version) with tons of features. It expressively is said to work with online Calibre libraries and seems to have a nice aesthetic. I also plan to try both CoolReader and FBReader and if they work for me, I'll donate to show support for open source software.

On my PC - I'm using Calibre for library management (and reading. Not sure if there are any better, ideally open source but not truly required, plain readers out there for either books or manga, but I've not found any yet) and its fantastic, really showing that a Free and Open Source program can be the top tier solution for a given market.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to recognize my Transformer. I'll post about this over in their forums hoping for a solution. Once I get it to recognize the Transformer, and I know the proper settings (Do I use Generic Ipad-like-device? Android Tablet? Something else?) for use and conversions, everything ought to be excellent.

Last edited by Ellipsys; 05-28-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Ellipsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #45
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

For video you need to reencode from high profile to whatever is not high profile. (Sorry, I'm on painkillers after an extensive root canal.) There's a thread at XDA giving a correct handbrake profile to reencode your video. IIRC, it's an issue with the OS.

For Calibre what I do is start up the Calibre content server and then use the browser to access it and download from there. Your books must already be converted or in the correct format.

If I wasn't very clear, it's the pain killers.

Tags
android, asus transformer, honeycomb