Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #16
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Thank you ATDrake!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:24 AM   #17
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
If you have any comfort level with editing css you can easily fix it in calibre by tweaking the epub. Open the style css file you get when the epub is exploded. Remove all the lines that say "Bookman" in them (to get rid of the extra large bold font they picked for some reason) and remove the two lines in the .calibre section that specify margins at 27%. Then have calibre put the epub back together and it is fixed.
So --in THIS case -- what do I lose by using the mobi version for my Kindle? Nice and clean.

Seems like the ePub format is - in this case - just a big headache.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 01:40 AM   #18
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Trust me, it's a much bigger headache to fix a messed-up Mobi file than an ePub. At least this one can be dealt with via a minor stylesheet edit. Mobi you'd have to take completely apart and rebuild.

I don't even bother downloading the Mobi files from Baen's Webscription site any more, simply because it's easier to work with the ePub versions and there's bound to be some typo or other that I'll want to edit if I ever intend to re-read the book.

And the Mobi file for Starfarers is mildly messed-up, though not in a way that most people will notice. On my Kindle, it has ragged-right setting instead of the usual auto-justify, which is admittedly an effect that some people will use a hack to get.

Anyway, all of this is Microsoft's fault, given that it looks like the BVC converted it from an un-cleaned-up Word document, with all the ensuing cruft.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #19
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
So --in THIS case -- what do I lose by using the mobi version for my Kindle? Nice and clean.

Seems like the ePub format is - in this case - just a big headache.
In any case, if your only device is a Kindle, I don't see what you'd gain by using any format except the mobi version. You have to convert the source file to mobi anyway, so why not just pick the correct format in the first place?

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #20
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
In any case, if your only device is a Kindle, I don't see what you'd gain by using any format except the mobi version. You have to convert the source file to mobi anyway, so why not just pick the correct format in the first place?
Sometimes the EPUB formatting is actually better (the same with metadata). I generally do a quick compare of the two and will sometimes convert the epub to mobi (and others the mobi to mobi after fixing the metadata). And I've converted mobi to epub for a different device, on occasion.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #21
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Sometimes the EPUB formatting is actually better (the same with metadata). I generally do a quick compare of the two and will sometimes convert the epub to mobi (and others the mobi to mobi after fixing the metadata). And I've converted mobi to epub for a different device, on occasion.
I have encountered this several times. So many times that I now just download epubs instead of mobi files on certain sites, especially from Smashwords. Often the epub is great and the mobi looks like a poor neglected imitation - no cover, no metadata, poor formatting. The Calibre conversion from epub > mobi usually turns out much better than the offered mobi, and it's faster than doing everything manually.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #22
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Because a txt file would not have the formatting that still remains - including bold, italic, included graphics, covec pages, etc. No doubt I lose "something", but since I don't want any text or font overrides and the defaults for indents are fine, I want the default margins.

Marcy
Quote:
The problem with doing this is that you lose all formatting of the story.
I am sorry if I misunderstood it?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #23
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Downloaded it, thanks for the heads up. Looks fine in iBooks on my iPad

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #24
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Open the style css file you get when the epub is exploded. Remove all the lines that say "Bookman" in them (to get rid of the extra large bold font they picked for some reason) and remove the two lines in the .calibre section that specify margins at 27%. Then have calibre put the epub back together and it is fixed.
When I exploded the epub in Calibre, the settings for the left and right margins for the ".calibre" style was 24pt ... not 27%. I changed it to 5pt (which is the calibre standard) and that seems to work best.

Other tweaks some may want to make are:

--For the ".title-TableOfContents" style, make the padding-bottom value 2em which will add space between the chapter titles and body text

--For the ".separator" style, make the margin-top and margin-bottom values 0.5em which will add space between the section separators.

--Change all the text-indent values from 1.5em to 0em except for the ".MsoNormal" style which is the body text. For some reason, they had text indentations for other parts of the book which threw off the centering of things like chapter heads.

In addition, for these changes to show up on my Sony reader, I had to do an epub-to-epub conversion in Calibre, which is a simple step.

When I was new to epubs, I would just delete the css stylesheet if there was problematic formatting. But now with Calibre's handy epub tweaking feature and more experience working with epubs, I much prefer to make selective tweaks like this.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #25
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Looks good... Kind of annoying since I already had a book by the same name from Poul Anderson and calibre threw a fit about it...
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #26
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is now a repeat freebie, apparently as one of the monthly specials, direct from the BVC, and they are also having a sale on 50% off all titles in their catalogue over $2.99 through July 8th only, more info in the DRM-free thread.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #27
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Got it, many thanks!
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:44 AM   #28
ATDrake
Wizzard

Just a reminder that this will probably be the last day to pick up the freebie if you're interested, since this was apparently one of the BVC's monthly specials.