Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 08-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #106
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm interested in doing some more of Voltaire's novellas. We've already got Candide and Zadig. I would like to do The Princess of Babylon and L'Ingenu ('The Innocent' or 'The Child of Nature'). Despite some searching, I've been unable to find an english translation on the web.
If anyone finds one then I would be very pleased if they point me in its direction. (I'm happy to convert the book myself.) If not, I may well have a go at the original French.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:06 PM   #107
ns66
Connoisseur
ns66 doesn't litterns66 doesn't litter

Device: sony reader
i'd love to have some reference books, like dictionary/encyclopedia/travel guides etc
thx
ns66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:28 AM   #108
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns66 View Post
i'd love to have some reference books, like dictionary/encyclopedia/travel guides etc
thx
Really? Suppose you had a dictionary on the Sony Reader. How would you look words up in it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #109
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
What HarryT is getting at, is that the Reader's relatively slow screen refresh time, and the absence of a search function means that you'd spend a really long time trying to look up say, the words "sarcastic" and "sardonic" to figure out the differences between them. That would tend to limit how useful a reference such as a dictionary can be in practical terms.

Right HarryT?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #110
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
What HarryT is getting at, is that the Reader's relatively slow screen refresh time, and the absence of a search function means that you'd spend a really long time trying to look up say, the words "sarcastic" and "sardonic" to figure out the differences between them. That would tend to limit how useful a reference such as a dictionary can be in practical terms.

Right HarryT?
Precisely. The lack of a "search" function on the Reader makes such books of extremely limited value. I suppose that some people might want to read a dictionary or an encylopaedia from start to finish, but the majority would - I suspect - wish to look up entries in them. That's why I was wondering why ns66 was expressing an interest in such books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:46 PM   #111
shiney19
shiney19 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Hi Folks

I love political books etc and was wondering if anyone gas a copy of American Legacy by C. David Heymann they woudl kindly share

Many thanx

Shiney19
shiney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:19 PM   #112
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not familiar with that one, Shiney19 -- is it Public Domain? Hmmm. It would seem not as it was published last month.

I think that pretty much means that you won't find it here, I don't know if there are any legit e-copies of it available in any of the stores. We're pretty careful to avoid passing around the other variety here at MobileRead.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #113
ns66
Connoisseur
ns66 doesn't litterns66 doesn't litter

Device: sony reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Precisely. The lack of a "search" function on the Reader makes such books of extremely limited value. I suppose that some people might want to read a dictionary or an encylopaedia from start to finish, but the majority would - I suspect - wish to look up entries in them. That's why I was wondering why ns66 was expressing an interest in such books.
i like encyclopedia and travel books, when i don't have much to do and not in the mood to read 1000 page books, i like to browse and just read a few items in encyclopedia and hopefully learn something
ns66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #114
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I'm interested in doing some more of Voltaire's novellas. We've already got Candide and Zadig. I would like to do The Princess of Babylon and L'Ingenu ('The Innocent' or 'The Child of Nature'). Despite some searching, I've been unable to find an english translation on the web.
If anyone finds one then I would be very pleased if they point me in its direction. (I'm happy to convert the book myself.) If not, I may well have a go at the original French.
I have an almost finished version of Letters on England (in English) that I will post shortly. Other than that I am out of English language Voltaire works except for the Ninth Book of Voltaire's Henriad and Socrates.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:45 PM   #115
CJBarrow
Book worm
CJBarrow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/Cybook Gen3/Hanlin V5
Ebooks by category as well as Author

As the number of e books have increased would it be possible to sort them into categories first. A section for what's new would also be great.

Cheers,
Chris.
CJBarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #116
NatCh
Gizmologist

Hey, CJBarrow, I can't do anything about categories, but you can see the latest book postings on the Front Page (it's on the right hand side, third little boxey thing down).
Old 08-22-2007, 07:46 PM   #117
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Sounds great to me!

What problems are you having with the "title structure"? Can you be more specific, as someone here may be able to offer some assistance.

On the Toc [Table of Contents] that you allude to, let me offer some help, if you're not aware of it. If you already know this, I apologize in advance. Ok, the Toc:

Anything designated as "Title" has the ability to be turned into a ToC and a ToC can be quickly and automatically generated. So, if you've got a book with a 100 poems, and each poem is titled, then you can have a ToC done practically instantly.

It will even produce, as part of the ToC, a "Table of Content." [Notice that there's a bug in the program, and that you need to add an "s" to the word "Content."]

I hope this helps.

Let us know if you have some questions.

Don
Sorry for not seeing this earlier, Don!

The problem I had was that the structure of Leaves of Grass have "Books", individual poems, and then some of the poems had numbered stanzas as well. So BD was labeling some of the stanzas as Titles, some as Subtitles, some as Paragraphs. Then some of the poems were titles, some were subtitles. (And with close to 400 poems, that was something to get through.) I think all of the Books (38) were Titles. Anyway, it was a long time to get through, only to discover that BD wouldn't generate hanging indents....

Oh, and I was trying to figure out whether or not to try and incorporate every poem in the TOC, just the Books, or what. (Eventually, my in-book TOC which is not hyperlinked lists all of them. As Phil Ken Sebben might say, "Ha! Ha! Long!!!" )

Eventually Kovid was good enough to incorporate hanging indent support into HTML2LRF, and now it's available. (Also, this was my first experience with HTML2LRF - it took me a little while to figure it out, even though it's very nice and easy to work with.)

OK, off to see what the next book request to fulfill is.

Last edited by LaughingVulcan; 08-22-2007 at 07:50 PM.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #118
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Well. Those of you who dont like empty paragraphs. I've got good news. You can use the element browser part of Book Designer to find empty paragraphs aaaannndd.. Delete them en masse!

Totally sweet. It also works for all the other mistakes and mis0guesses Book Designer does on raw text.

Book Designer geeks take notice!
Is there a link on how to use the element browser, especially to pull empty paras???

And I'm now picking up Saki from ankitj's request above.

Also, I ran through the whole thread (yep, all of it! *whew*.) Unless I missed something, and I don't think I did, all specific book requests up through that one have been fulfilled.

So, of course, the next question would be, who's got more requests??? -And, of course, if I'm wrong, please corrct me.... ETA: erm, correct me... :lol:

Last edited by LaughingVulcan; 09-03-2007 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Geez, you'd think I'd get simple typos...
Old 09-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #119
LaughingVulcan
Technophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
New member here. Applied for sony card last week, and in process of getting a Sony reader. The aim is to use my love for gadgets to develop a healthy reading habbit.
<snip>
Just curios if anyone has any of these books by Saki in the works:
1) Beasts and Super-Beasts
2) The Chronicles of Clovis
I did both of these, but Project Gutenberg lists five other works for Saki in their archive....

# Reginald (English)
# Reginald in Russia and other sketches (English)
# The Toys of Peace, and other papers (English)
# The Unbearable Bassington (English)
# When William Came (English)

So if you'd like to work on those, be my guest.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #120
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan View Post
Is there a link on how to use the element browser, especially to pull empty paras???
:
In BD:
1. Open the element browser (in the tools menu).
2. Set it to show empty paragraphs.
3. Select the first empty paragraph that you wish to delete. Press the shift key. then select the final empty paragraph that you wish to remove. This highlights all the intervening empty paras.
4. Use the little box at the bottom of the element browser to delete the selected empty paragraphs and they are gone.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote