Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
K J Parker - The engineer trilogy

just that really.... a 'got to stop highlighting because you end up with the whole damn book in clippings' trilogy.
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Love Parker.
Though I haven't read the Engineer Trilogy yet. I've read a lot of the stand-alones and short stories, though. I'm in no hurry to catch up to her/him.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Diap - if you have the time and the inclination give it a shot. I thought they were astonishing, actually.
Have you come across the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson, there's a similar dry wit about them both, but Parker is darker. S/he 'does' banal evil in a truly spine chilling manner.

So what d'you reckon, male or female. I'm backing female, but then I would claim her as one of ours!!
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not an author I've come across, but sounds interesting.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
Diap - if you have the time and the inclination give it a shot. I thought they were astonishing, actually.
Have you come across the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson, there's a similar dry wit about them both, but Parker is darker. S/he 'does' banal evil in a truly spine chilling manner.

So what d'you reckon, male or female. I'm backing female, but then I would claim her as one of ours!!
Oh I'll get around to all of Parker's work eventually. I'm just trying to stay in "savor" mode as opposed to "gobble."

I'm currently about a third of the way through The Fencer Trilogy. I'm probably overdue to start the second book. The Hammer has been my favorite book so far (a stand-alone).

I'm going with female, too (though neither would really surprise me).

Surprisingly enough, Stephenson's Baroque Cycle was some of my favorite reading. Check out Gregory Keyes' Age of Unreason series for some similar (albeit lighter) fun.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Authors who use only initials do tend to be predominantly, although certainly not exclusively, of the female persuasion .
Old 01-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

S/he's done a great job of stretching out the anonymity angle for quite a few years now. Of course relative obscurity helps, too.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I had never heard of this author before this thread. From what I have found out about him/her in my search, I think I'll give the author a try. I've already looked on Amazon for some material.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Parker's not for everyone. I don't mean that to sound elitist or anything, but s/he can a bit bleak at times. The humor is usually dry (and dark). Ofttimes poking a bit of fun at the various tropes of the genre s/he's considered a part of.

I'll shut up now, because I also don't want to scare anyone away.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've picked up a couple of her/his (I'm actually going with female too) during sales (The Hammer, Sharps and The Colours of Steel) but haven't got around to them yet. I like dark, so I really should give one of these a try.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Parker's not for everyone. I don't mean that to sound elitist or anything, but s/he can a bit bleak at times. The humor is usually dry (and dark). Ofttimes poking a bit of fun at the various tropes of the genre s/he's considered a part of.

Yes, I thought the engineer trilogy was heartless.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #12
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I really loved the first two books of this series. The ending of the final book required too much "suspension of disbelief" for my taste.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #13
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I was going to say that she was female, but then I realized I was thinking of Kage Baker.
Parker sounds interesting though. Apparently no one knows who s/he really is.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #14
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I thought I "knew" that KJ Parker was female, too, but I have no idea why.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:11 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Can I just clarify that these are fantasy? It's not entirely clear from the description.