Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
armandaneshjoo
armandaneshjoo began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Gigantic book library

Hi. I have 50GB of books and I want to index them. Problem:

Calibre copies the books. so I'll need another 50GB. can calibre cut the books and take them to it's own library instead of copying them?
armandaneshjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandaneshjoo View Post
Hi. I have 50GB of books and I want to index them. Problem:

Calibre copies the books. so I'll need another 50GB. can calibre cut the books and take them to it's own library instead of copying them?
You have to do it in batches anyway, so take a thousand books, import them to Calibre, backup them and then delete originals. Repeat 50 times ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
armandaneshjoo

test for 100 books

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
You have to do it in batches anyway, so take a thousand books, import them to Calibre, backup them and then delete originals. Repeat 50 times ;-)
100 books tested. It sometimes writes year in author column, edition in title column, ... and it puts publisher in tags column and leaves publisher column empty. What can I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre test.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	106194  

Last edited by armandaneshjoo; 05-24-2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: adding picture
Old 05-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
100 books tested. It sometimes writes year in author column, edition in title column, ... and it puts publisher in tags column and leaves publisher column empty. What can I do?
That says:
1)You are using Filename for metadata and the import Template is wrong
2) The some says you were not even consistent when you file named the books
3)Implies that the format does not contain accessible Metadata (or you would have used that Add setting ) . DRM being a possible reason.

4) other
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
armandaneshjoo

file names

Quote:
3)Implies that the format does not contain accessible Metadata (or you would have used that Add setting). DRM being a possible reason.
3) My books are PDF. does it take metadata?

Quote:
2) The some says you were not even consistent when you file named the books
2) My books are named like this:
<Book title>, <Subtitle>, <Volume> - <Authors' full names> - <Publisher> - <Edition> - <Year>.pdf

Quote:
1)You are using Filename for metadata and the import Template is wrong
1) What is import template?

Last edited by armandaneshjoo; 05-24-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: separating quotations
Old 05-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Contact the publisher and inform them about the bad/inconsistent metadata. You might get a refund? Obviously the publisher/bookstore that sold the books to you should be informed about this problem, so they can fix it for new customers.

If you got the books some other way you should complain to the supplier and ask for a replacement with books that have correct metadata.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
3)
1) What is import template?
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/template_lang.html
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote