Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
rosyposy363
rosyposy363 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Page Refresh on Kindle 4

I have the new Non Touch Kindle 4 and in the settings I have refresh after every page turned off, yet it is still refreshing after every page. I have tried turning it on and off but makes no difference. Any suggestions please on what the problem might be, it is the 4.0.1 version. Thanks
rosyposy363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:13 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosyposy363 View Post
I have the new Non Touch Kindle 4 and in the settings I have refresh after every page turned off, yet it is still refreshing after every page. I have tried turning it on and off but makes no difference. Any suggestions please on what the problem might be, it is the 4.0.1 version. Thanks
Try Restarting for it to take effect.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
jollino
jollino began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I updated my Kindle 4 last night (I bought it a week ago and thought updates were delivered OTA, or at least notified) and I noticed today that I'm having the same problem as the OP. I also tried rebooting and restoring to defaults, but to no avail. Quite annoying... is there a work around? Even downgrading to 4.0 would be an acceptable option for me.
jollino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have a Kindle Basic 4.0.1 and the page refresh option to refresh only every six pages is working fine. When I first got the option to refresh every page I tried it, didn't like it, and went back to the default.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
jollino

I also have a Kindle 4 "Basic" (no touch screen), but it's as if no matter whether I enable the new "page refresh" option on or off, it's always on. Every single time I turn a page I get the full screen refresh. This reminds me of the dreaded "reverse page buttons" bug in the Cybook Opus. :\
Old 12-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollino View Post
I also have a Kindle 4 "Basic" (no touch screen), but it's as if no matter whether I enable the new "page refresh" option on or off, it's always on. Every single time I turn a page I get the full screen refresh. This reminds me of the dreaded "reverse page buttons" bug in the Cybook Opus. :\
Are you reading a book that has graphics on every page? If that's the case it will flash black on each turn. If it's a normal kindle book (azw/mobi) with just text it should do the partial refresh.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
jollino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Are you reading a book that has graphics on every page? If that's the case it will flash black on each turn. If it's a normal kindle book (azw/mobi) with just text it should do the partial refresh.
After a little voodoo rite it seems to work. For the OP, this is what I did:
- Restore to default settings (may or may not be useful, probably not)
- Enable the page refresh option in the last page of settings
- Reboot (it's in the menu that opens when pressing the menu button while in the settings)
- Disable the page refresh option

This seems to have fixed it for me.

For the record: no, I am reading Steve Jobs's biography (converted from epub via calibre since I had it in that format) and graphics are only on the first "page" of each chapter.
The full-screen refresh happened with any contents, even when browsing the pages of the home screen or the settings, that's why I found it so annoying.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
jollino

Thanks for the congratulations , but it's more of a workaround than a fix, and I'm not sure if it was just randomly triggered on my unit or if it's effectively widespread. Google searches report several people complaining about this, but definitely not enough to make it stand out like a very common bug. I haven't tried to reactivate it to see if it happens again, so your mileage may vary.

I decided to try those steps because the latest Opus firmware had a similar bug about the "reverse side buttons" option, which lets you use the bottom key to go to the next page and top key to go to the previous page (just like the Kindle), whereas the default is to use the top for next and the bottom for previous. The problem was that enabling that option only worked as long as the unit didn't go into sleep mode. When waking it up, the buttons worked in their default position even if the "invert buttons" option was set to on. To re-enable it one has to disable it and re-enable it. Incredibly frustrating, especially considering that Bookeen is well aware of the problem but refuses to release a firmware update that would only really only require to change no more than a few lines of code.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
eyalben
eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
I had the same issue and Amazon support provided me with a great insight

Apparently, if the device is outside of proper operating temperature (15-30 C or 59-86 F) the page turn will flash on every page regardless of the settings.

Cooling down the device resolved that issue completely.
eyalben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyalben View Post
I had the same issue and Amazon support provided me with a great insight

Apparently, if the device is outside of proper operating temperature (15-30 C or 59-86 F) the page turn will flash on every page regardless of the settings.

Cooling down the device resolved that issue completely.
Reading in a sauna?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
jollino

Quote:
Reading in a sauna?
Over here (central Italy) we reached 38.7 °C in the shade last week...
Old 07-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
Darth_Bane
Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and PRS-300, Kobo Wifi, Touch and Mini, Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosyposy363 View Post
Had the same problem last year. Reboot didn't help for me. What fixed it, strange as it may seem, was to leave the Kindle on and not touch it till it went to sleep by itself. It's been working ever since.
Darth_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #13
eyalben
eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eyalben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Reading in a sauna?
I had some problems with the air conditioner.

And not everyone lives in Alaska 30 °C is not that high.
eyalben is offline   Reply With Quote