Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
Bobosmite
Enthusiast
Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle-DX
Conversion is removing gaps where it shouldn't

Most of my conversions are .MOBI > .RTF. With almost every conversion, I need to compare with the original to re-insert gaps between paragraphs where the author used a space to separate parts of the story. This is not gaps between every paragraph, just where it's part of the story.

Is there a trick to keep this from happening? I've tried the "insert/remove line" settings and that didn't seem to do anything at all. Does Calibre prehaps convert .EPUB more reliable? I get it that all ebooks are created differently, but this is happening with all my sources.

What really has me stumped is that even though it's removing all these gaps, there are still gaps in other places where they should have been removed if it was following some kind of conversion rule-of-thumb.
Bobosmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Converting to RTF is not something I do anymore but I just tried converting a retail MOBI (containing many scenebreak gaps between paragraphs). The converted RTF still has the scenebreaks intact. My settings, on the Convert - Look&Feel page, have both the boxes 'Remove spacing...' and 'Insert blank line' as unchecked.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
Bobosmite
Enthusiast
Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bobosmite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle-DX
I fiddled with all the settings and it's a dice-roll. Nothing seems to be standard, but I did have success with one of my retails. Well, at least I have a better understanding now. Thanks.
Bobosmite is offline   Reply With Quote