Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #61
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Well, you have me on a new hobby of collecting third-party apps for the Fire now (next, if Amazon doesn't get rid of the grey bar on non-amazon videos, and improve parental controls, I'll probably try rooting and replacing the OS...)

By the way, File Expert has network features too...I was very impressed how easy it was to get stuff from my LAN, and since the app storage on the Fire is limited, I think I can get by with just one file manager. Plus, Wifi Explorer Pro was free at getjar, so that should cover the rest of the needs in that area. Fun stuff.

Thanks again to Blossom and MR...with out you guys, gadgets wouldn't be nearly as fun!

ApK
For non amazon videos try the Moboplayer app.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #62
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
For non amazon videos try the Moboplayer app.
I'll try it, but I'm sure I read that it still leaves the grey menu strip at the bottom. All non-Amazon apps do.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #63
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll try it, but I'm sure I read that it still leaves the grey menu strip at the bottom. All non-Amazon apps do.
You mean the navigation bar? If you didn't have that there would be no way to get out of an app. Many tablets are like that. Now if you go full screen on some apps that will hide it till you tap.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #64
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You mean the navigation bar? If you didn't have that there would be no way to get out of an app. Many tablets are like that. Now if you go full screen on some apps that will hide it till you tap.
When you watch Amazon videos or read a Kindle book, the grey bar is gone until you touch the screen.

Run any other app-- Netflix, another reader, even the Gallery app for watching your side-loaded videos--and the grey bar never goes away.
No other app, apparently, can make the bar go away in full screen mode. Only the built in Amazon video viewer, and the Kindle App.
Apparently Amazon wants to make content you buy from them a little more attractive.
I find this evil, in an Apple or M$ish sort of way.
I find the grey bar terribly distracting.

P.S, and back closer to topic: In File Expert, once you tell it to always use a certain app to open files, how do you change your mind? I can't find a away to make it ask me to pick a different app.

[EDIT: A Netflix app update yesterday, 2/9, eliminated the grey bar! Nice! Now we know it's possible, I hope other apps will benefit from it soon too.]

Last edited by ApK; 02-10-2012 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Noted new Netflix app removed grey bar.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #65
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
When you watch Amazon videos or read a Kindle book, the grey bar is gone until you touch the screen.

Run any other app-- Netflix, another reader, even the Gallery app for watching your side-loaded videos--and the grey bar never goes away.
No other app, apparently, can make the bar go away in full screen mode. Only the built in Amazon video viewer, and the Kindle App.
Apparently Amazon wants to make content you buy from them a little more attractive.
I find this evil, in an Apple or M$ish sort of way.
I'm not sure about moboplayer but I do know there is a full screen option. My husband uses it on his phone.
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #66
ApK

Quote:
I'm not sure about moboplayer but I do know there is a full screen option. My husband uses it on his phone.
Sure, but on the Fire, the full screen option still leaves the grey bar. That's the problem.

(I saw a build of CM7 for the Fire, by the by the way, where in cases where you do go full screen, and the app has no way to exit, touching the power button will make the menu reappear...neat.)
Old 02-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #67
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Well, you have me on a new hobby of collecting third-party apps for the Fire now (next, if Amazon doesn't get rid of the grey bar on non-amazon videos,

ApK

What grey bar??
I simply convert my personal videos to Mpeg4 and sideload them via USB they play fine no grey bar on my Kindle.

Edited to Add: I think I see what you mean the thin little bar at the bottom to bring up the home screen button
is not an Issue for me personally as I do my movie watching at home and any
on the go watching on a 7 inch device can be done with the thin little bar in place considering the nature of mobile video devices.

Cheers

Last edited by Anabran; 02-13-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #68
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
I think I see what you mean the thin little bar at the bottom to bring up the home screen button
is not an Issue for me personall
My wife is the same way. She did't even notice it. It drives me crazy. Until that Netflix update came, I was trying to decide between returning the Fire, or replacing the OS on it.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #69
krm0789
Enthusiast
krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
So, I attempted this & failed miserably. I sideloaded Alkido which opens fine, then selected the Adobe ePub edition of a book from Overdrive. It gave me a BookTitle.ascm to download-- weird, but I downloaded it to my PC anyways, emailed it to myself, & used ES File Explorer to put it in the Library folder. Went into Alkido, into the Library folder-- it didn't see anything. Went to the Overdrive site on my Fire, tried to download the book, the link just took me to a page with characters (& I do still have 'allow apps from unknown sources' checked, just in case).

Any idea what I'm missing here?
krm0789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #70
ApK

The ascm file is not the book. It's just a link that ADE uses to download the book.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #71
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
I dont think you can load epubs from the library/ODMC unless you strip it thru Calibre first. Other FREE epubs from the net like the classics at Guttenberg Project or here at MobileRead work fine in Adilko as there is no copy protection/DRM but I could be wrong.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #72
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by krm0789 View Post
So, I attempted this & failed miserably. I sideloaded Alkido which opens fine, then selected the Adobe ePub edition of a book from Overdrive. It gave me a BookTitle.ascm to download-- weird, but I downloaded it to my PC anyways, emailed it to myself, & used ES File Explorer to put it in the Library folder. Went into Alkido, into the Library folder-- it didn't see anything. Went to the Overdrive site on my Fire, tried to download the book, the link just took me to a page with characters (& I do still have 'allow apps from unknown sources' checked, just in case).

Any idea what I'm missing here?
You need to open the ASCM file. I use File Expert to open it. I long press and choose open the File with Aldiko and it downloads the book. Make sure you activate your adobe ID on Aldiko first.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #73
krm0789
Enthusiast
krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Err, where do I get the adobe id? Guess I missed a step!
krm0789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #74
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
I dont think you can load epubs from the library/ODMC unless you strip it [...] but I could be wrong.
You are wrong. Aldiko supports ADE's DRM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #75
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by krm0789 View Post
Err, where do I get the adobe id? Guess I missed a step!
Go here to get an Adobe ID:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/membership/index.cfm
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote