Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
giosa
Connoisseur
giosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Sony PRS T1
Guide to change system fonts on PRS T1

I've decided to write a short guide on how I've made PRS T1 show book titles, TOC, bookmarks, pages in browser correctly in Georgian Unicode. I think this info might be useful to others as well. So here we go:

The outline of the process is as follows: PRS T1 fonts partition is CRAMFS this means that it's read only one can not just copy and paste font files in fonts directory even in rooted system (of course if you're not root you don't even see systems partition). That's why we need to extract fonts CRAMFS image to the reader partition that's accessible from a PC (I've done it on Windows 7 machine) then copy extracted CRAMFS image to PC (you need to have cygwin installed on PC) unpack the image with cramfsck command change the font repack back with mkcramfs command and write back to PRS T1 flash the modifed fonts image.

1. Run Terminal emullator on PRS T1 type
Code:
su
and $ promt will change to # now you have superuser priviledge and can use the following command
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk2p5 of=/mnt/sdcard/mmcblk2p5.img
to extract fonts CRAMFS to READER partition of PRS T1

2. Move mmcblk2p5.img to root of C:\ directory on your PC, from Start/Run run CMD cd to cygwin/bin directory and type
Code:
cramfsck -x d:\ /cygdrive/c/mmcblk2p5.img
I assume your second windows partiotion is d: if not change to whatever yours is. On D:\ you will see 44 font files extracted.

3. Now you need to identify font file which you want to replace. Droid sans is responsible for the book titles, TOC and stuff. I've chosen to replace Droid Sand Thai with Georgian font. I've got Droid Sans Georgian ttf from Android SDK on my PC C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platforms\android-15\data\fonts this is the path on my system. It comes with Andorid 4.0, there are other fonts as well like Armenian for example.
Idea is that you have to rename not only file name to the font you want to use, to the file name of font you decided to replace, but also font name. I've done this with Font Creator v6.5 you can use any other tool of your liking. This step is important!!! if you make mistake here you'll brick you device! Don't mistype font name. Once you've done this step make mmcblk2p5 folder on your d:\ drive and put all 44 fonts including modified one to that folder.

4. From CMD promt run this command
Code:
mkcramfs d:\mmcblk2p5 mmcblk2p5.img
make sure your CMD promt is in correct directory it has to be cygwin/bin. Now you have modified CRAMFS fonts partition ready to be written to PRS T1 flash. The new file must be smaller in size than original!

5. Copy your new mmcblk2p5.img to sdcard on PRS T1 (it's READER partition, which is mounted when you connect to PC in data transfer mode)
Open Terminal emulator on your read and write the following command
Code:
dd if=/mnt/sdcard/mmcblk2p5.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk2p5 bs=1024
of course make sure you have su # promt. You can do this command in recovery mode and then the code will be different. I've done with this code in normal mode.
Wait for a minute and terminal will signal you how much data it written, now you can restart you're reader. AND no more ugly ????????? in squres!!

Disclaimer! This low level operation on system files, potentially you can render your device nonoperational. Do above instruction on your own risk! I'm not responsible for damage you could make to your device.

Credits go to Porukan/Boroda, snarkophilus and j0534ng31 they have made this. I'm a compete noob

Last edited by giosa; 02-08-2012 at 06:23 AM.
giosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
eminarcissus
eminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1
Thx for your instruction.
One question here. Does sd rescue image have mmcblk2p5 covered in?
I wanna to give it a try but just afraid of brick the device and could not fix with sd rescue method.
eminarcissus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:37 AM   #3
ever2047
ever2047 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eminarcissus View Post
Thx for your instruction.
I wanna to give it a try but just afraid of brick the device and could not fix with sd rescue method.
It seems there are only mmcblk2p9.img & mmcblk2p10.img in the rescue image.
I think you must back up the original mmcblk2p5.img
Recovery mode may be more powerful.

I'm a noob too.
ever2047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #4
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Thanks for this,

I'm atm not into fiddling with my T1, but may it be possible to use the
mount cmd to test the new compiled cramfs-img before writing it back?

Using a command like:
Code:
mount -t cramfs -o loop,ro /mnt/sdcard/newfont.img /ebook/fonts/
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
giosa
Connoisseur
giosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminarcissus View Post
I think no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ever2047 View Post
It seems there are only mmcblk2p9.img & mmcblk2p10.img in the rescue image.
I think you must back up the original mmcblk2p5.img
Recovery mode may be more powerful.
I agree.

Last edited by giosa; 02-08-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
giosa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
Thanks for this,

I'm atm not into fiddling with my T1, but may it be possible to use the
mount cmd to test the new compiled cramfs-img before writing it back?

Using a command like:
Code:
mount -t cramfs -o loop,ro /mnt/sdcard/newfont.img /ebook/fonts/
Sorry I don't know, maybe more experienced guys will replay.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
j0534ng31
Connoisseur
j0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by giosa View Post
Sorry I don't know, maybe more experienced guys will replay.
Yes, it can be done like this...

But I think you cannot mount it to /ebook/fonts... anyway, you can:

1- Mount the font image to a new directory (for instance, /cache/testfonts)

2- Bind mount it (mount -o bind /cache/testfonts /ebook/fonts)

Quote:
5. Copy your new mmcblk2p5.img to sdcard on PRS T1 (it's READER partition, which is mounted when you connect to PC in data transfer mode)
Open Terminal emulator on your read and write the following command
Code:
dd if=/mnt/sdcard/mmcblk2p5.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk2p5 bs=1024
of course make sure you have su # promt. You can do this command in recovery mode and then the code will be different. I've done with this code in normal mode.
Just two little notes:

1- You'd better do this in 'recovery mode'...

2- Remember to add the 'dd' option that Boroda has told you ('conv=notrunc')... It can be very useful, just in case something goes wrong.

Last edited by j0534ng31; 02-09-2012 at 07:14 PM.
j0534ng31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
giosa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0534ng31 View Post
2- Remember to add the 'dd' option that Boroda has told you ('conv=notrunc')... It can be very useful, just in case something goes wrong.
I've added it but i got something like "disabled" I don't remember exactly. Maybe because I've done it in normal mode.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #9
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
I get this error:
Code:
c:\cygwin\bin>cramfsck -x d:\ /cygdrive/c/mmcblk2p5.img
'cramfsck' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
vietchovui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #10
j0534ng31
Connoisseur
j0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by vietchovui View Post
I get this error:
Code:
I can't remember the exact name, but you have to install the cramfs tools package from cygwin setup
j0534ng31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
giosa
Connoisseur

Quote:
I get this error:
Code:
Find attached original PRS T1 mmcblk2p5.img content zipped. So that you can skip that step.

But you still need mkcramfs so you need cygwin
Attached Files
File Type: zip mmcblk2p5Original.zip (11.09 MB, 1380 views)

Last edited by giosa; 02-11-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Find attached original PRS T1 mmcblk2p5.img content zipped. So that you can skip that step.

But you still need mkcramfs so you need cygwin
Thanks alot. I've downloaded cygwin (with cramfs) over the night (files size more than 5giga). I'm able now to extract mmcblk2p5.img.
But after re-read carefully the step 3 in your guide, I worry about possibility of bricking my T1 because I have to use also Font Creator, a program that is unfamiliar to me. So, could you please help me bypass this step by providing more info about the img that you made?
- Does Droid Georgian font support unicode UTF8? (as I want to display correctly Vietnamese in ToC too). I've googled by found no info about this font;
- If yes, could you upload the img in with fonts were replaced so that I can simply go to step 5.
Thanks,

Last edited by vietchovui; 06-22-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:48 AM   #13
giosa
Connoisseur

Quote:
- Does Droid Georgian font support unicode UTF8? (as I want to display correctly Vietnamese in ToC too). I've googled by found no info about this font;
- If yes, could you upload the img in with fonts were replaced so that I can simply go to step 5.
Thanks,
DroidSans Georgian support unicode but it has only Georgian glyphs, if you have Vietnamese angalog attach to to your message and I'll make img for you.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
vietchovui
Zealot

Attached files are some fonts that support Vietnamese characters (zip file) and a sample of Vietnamese text (file word). Please have a look and help me. Thank you!
If i made any mistake in changing system font files, is there a change to recover the T1 by using SDcard rescue or restore set?
Attached Files
File Type: zip VN fonts.zip (4.35 MB, 702 views)
File Type: doc Sample.doc (23.5 KB, 775 views)

Last edited by vietchovui; 02-12-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
giosa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Attached files are some fonts that support Vietnamese characters (zip file) and a sample of Vietnamese text (file word). Please have a look and help me. Thank you!
If i made any mistake in changing system font files, is there a change to recover the T1 by using SDcard rescue or restore set?
Do you want one of the reader fonts change also or just system?

I've made img for you. If you want read in vietnamese from stock reader change original font to ReallyNo2LTW1G.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mmcblk2p5.zip (13.00 MB, 850 views)

Last edited by giosa; 02-12-2012 at 03:23 PM.