Notices

Old 04-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
SilverGhost40
Fixes Stuff
SilverGhost40 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm M100,Loox 720 Pocket PC,PRS-505 - now fixed
Talking I now have a new screen for my PRS-505

Hi,
I'm new to the Forum, and have been unable to find any recent posts on this subject.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can get a replacement screen for my PRS-505? Even a faulty 505 with an undamaged screen would be good.

I am in the UK and would prefer to buy there if at all possible - hopefully it would reduce the risk of damage in transit.

I'm sure I can replace it myself as I have repaired numerous laptops and PDA's. I just need the screen.

Thanks in advance.
Richard

Last edited by SilverGhost40; 05-24-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Now have a screen, title changed to hopefully help others
SilverGhost40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
In Spain:

http://www.ebookspares.com/
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I've seen one person selling the displays on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Note that every batch of E-Ink screens comes with a waveform tables tuned specifically for it. If you only replace the screen without reflashing the waveform, you will likely experience increased ghosting and worsened contrast. Waveform files seem to be available only to the devices manufaturers.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Andre
Enthusiast
Andre will become famous soon enoughAndre will become famous soon enoughAndre will become famous soon enoughAndre will become famous soon enoughAndre will become famous soon enoughAndre will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-500
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/25..._ED060SC1.html
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
SilverGhost40
Fixes Stuff

Thanks to you all for your replies. I found an Alibab.com link under one of the Similar Threads links after checking back on my post a couple of days ago. They can supply for $83(US) with $22 shipping to the UK, so I'll probably give them a go. I noticed the bit about flashing the waveform tables in the Service Manual linked from one of the other threads. I have access to Osclilloscopes etc at work so if I do buy from here (successfully) and need to do this I will no doubt be back starting another thread!
Thanks again
Old 04-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
Waveforms are here: http://translate.google.com/translat...87&sl=ru&tl=en
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Wouldn't it be almost if not more cost effective to just purchase a used 505?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
SilverGhost40
Fixes Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Wouldn't it be almost if not more cost effective to just purchase a used 505?
I thought about that. I only paid £10 (including postage) on ebay for the one I aim to fix. When I got it the screen was showing what looked like a combination of two menu pages. I thought I may be in look and it might just need a long charge and maybe a Hard Reset as I understand the screens can do strange things when the battery is nearly empty. Apart from the screen there only seems to be a little wear on the page button. When plugged in and charged however it turned to a typical cracked LCD spiders web. I strongly believe this was probably damaged in the post (though it was well wrapped in bubble wrap), but as it was described as having a damaged screen and I got it for such a low price I can't really complain. When connected to my laptop it shows books and folder structure (and Calibre recognises it).

Used ones are going for £120-£170 (again on ebay) over the last week or so. I've paid £10 for the reader and £70 (just now) for the screen (including postage, not including any VAT or duty if the package is checked) so get a reader for £80. I also get to take something else apart and fix it (hopefully!).

I've just ordered my screen from Shun Yongda via Alibaba.com using a link I found from a previous thread posted by stasys before Andre also posted his link. I was concerned about getting hold of the Waveform Look Up Tables, and the means to set them as mentioned in the Service Manual, but stasys has also kindly posted a link to a site that has those too.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Good Luck!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #11
SilverGhost40
Fixes Stuff

Talking It works

My screen came quite quickly, I would certainly recommend the source as there communication was good and delivery quite fast.

I didn't get time to perform the neccesary surgery staright away as I am snowed under at work.

In the meantime I bought another faulty 505 off ebay that should have come "in the original box with all the acessories" but instead came in a PRS-600 box with no case, which is waht I was really after.

When I finally got round to it and connected the screen to the original reader it emitted smoke from the motherboard and a rather bright orange glow as one of the IC's self-destructed. I had a PSP charger plugged in so I suspect that the full 2A went through it for whatever reason!

It was a couple more days until I got round to trying it in the second reader and it worked fine thank goodness! I have just finished chipping the old screen off the frame (it is so thin that it breaks up then removing as it is stuck over the whole back of the screen) and cleaning off the glue with nail varnish remover.

I now need to find out/decide what to use to stick it to the frame as I suspect that too rigid a glue won't allow any stress relief as the frame expands/conttracts over temperature. If the adhesive is too thick then it will mean that the assembly may overstress the screen when fitting it back into it's case.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
SilverGhost40
Fixes Stuff

Talking Back together and working again

Thanks again to stasys for his advice.

Never mind this fancy glue I used decorators masking tape to stick the screen to the frame. Some of the wide stuff doubled over back on itself with the "join" on the frame - not overlapped so it won't give a ridge. 3 vertical strips so that it covers most of the frame, then carefully centre the screen. It's a good idea to take a picture before you remove the old screen rom the frame, unless you have another faulty one to hand, like I had.

I guess I'll use it for a bit now , before looking at upgrading the firmware.

After all i've got that $20 to spend I won in the mobile read competition - beginners luck!
Old 05-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #13
laitsabr
Daily Learner
laitsabr doesn't litterlaitsabr doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, 350, 300, 600(sold), 505(dead), Coby 7024
I too had to replace my PRS-505 screen recently, and was offered a refurbished replacement (shipped) for $110 in exchange for my broken unit. The screen sold as a repair part was quoted at $410... This was Sony Support in the US. Wish I had asked you guys then.

Checking the tracking number, the replacement unit should be sitting on my porch right now...

In the last few weeks, as a kneejerk reaction to my broken reader, I bought an Aluratek Libre Pro and a PRS-300 when both were on sale recently. Both are nice, but I still love the PRS-505... My dad and daughter benefited from those purchases
laitsabr is offline   Reply With Quote