Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
fpunky
fpunky began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
2 Mac Questions Re. Copying and Moving

I have an imac 10.9.5 running Mavericks. It has a failing hard drive. 1. I would like to copy calibre to an external hard drive so that I can transfer it back to the imac after the hd replacement. I still want to keep the backup on the hard drive. 2. After Christmas, I'll have a new ipad and will want to copy everything to the ipad, while retaining the information on the imac and the external hard drive. You can never have to many coping I suppose. I did look through all the previous questions but never found a complete explanation for my gestalt impaired brain. Having all the mac explanations bundled together will certainly help. Thanks for any help you can offer. Feel free to answer just 1 or 2 if you find that easier.
fpunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IMHO Use the Export function on the Library icon.
This will offer to archive ALL known libraries and the base configuration.

The same Icon, to Import to your new Iwhatever
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:09 AM   #3
sososimps
sososimps began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus and Mac computer
Not sure if I've understood your question correctly, but in the past I've just gone to the location on my mac where my calibre library is stored (users; me; calibre library) and copied and pasted onto a USB drive. That way I can share my library with friends and family.
sososimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:34 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I backup my entire Mac every hour using Time Machine, onto two (alternating) backup hard drives.

All hard drives will fail if you use them long enough, and most won't give you enough warning to pull your data. Storage is cheap. Have a proper strategy in place.

Last edited by meeera; 11-17-2017 at 06:38 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote