Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-11-2010, 05:24 AM   #1
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Capacitive touch and stylus?

I have a question: can capacitive touchscreens support stylus input?
I found many styluses on the internet that work on touchscreens, are those any good?
thankx
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
matthias
Enthusiast
matthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura aboutmatthias has a spectacular aura about

no, they work only on resistive touchscreens.
technically its not that easy to make a stylus for capacitive touchscreens.
they would need a special stylus that simulates the contact of skin, but right now i wouldn't know any stylus that is able to do that (at least not at a reasonable price), sorry.
matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
I don't have either of these but a quick google search came up with:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/cel...f/?cpg=froogle

http://www.dagi.com.tw/
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
there are stylus for capacitive now from HTC and a couple others and there is even the sausage stylus originally available in Korea

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/11/s...ld-weather-me/

and now in the US

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/08/s...ale-in-the-us/

But capacitive stykus is not nearly as accurate as resistive nor Wacom. Its good for pushing/clicking on icons etc when you have gloves on but thats about it. Wacom has a combination called "pen and touch" which combines their stylus input tech and capacitive. That isn't used on an ebook reader yet.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Yeah well then why do companies go and use capacitive touch screens at all? I mean why not just stick to resistive touch screens.
I know that no one will ever be able to replace writing even with the use of innovative keyboards and on-screen thingies...

I am considering getting the Adam and will surely try that Pogo Stylus and hopefully it will make my day and work!
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
capacitive are cheaper and clearer and slightly quicker. so for just finger touch gestures they are well suited.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by osama_jamal View Post
Yeah well then why do companies go and use capacitive touch screens at all? I mean why not just stick to resistive touch screens.
Because resistive touch screens involve putting a touch-sensitive layer on top of the screen, which inevitably degrades the image somewhat. Capacitive touch screens do not have to go "on top", and don't degrade the image.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Here's a you tube video of one of the styluses (styli ?). Pretty cool, actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riE3imu5nLI
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
lamoe
Enthusiast
lamoe doesn't litterlamoe doesn't litter

Device: Pandigital Novel, Nextar T30, HTC EVO
Radio Shack sells a neat little stylus that looks like a metal pen with a conductive retractable paint brush at the end. It also has a much smaller tip for use with pressure sensitive screens like my Pandigital.

You can make your own simply by using a pen that has a totally metal body and top plunger. Tried my metal Mickey Mouse pen and it works. The plunger will activate the screen. For you barebones types, a nail will work also but make sure to use the head not the point.

For $10 I’ll stick with the brush because it won’t damage the screen.
lamoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
capacitive are cheaper and clearer and slightly quicker. so for just finger touch gestures they are well suited.
Capacitive touch screens are more expensive that resistive! That's why resistive show up on lower priced devices.
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Actually it is because resistive touch screens require more force at a given point to respond. The level of effort to get a great touch screen to respond to finger input is higher than the effort needed for a mediocre keyboard.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I had no idea if my Sony had a capacitive or resistive touch screen (I only know it's great, and it comes with a stylus) so I did some googling. Turns out it's neither, it's optical. Here is an interesting article on it:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-20021924-82.html

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote