Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-20-2008, 02:36 AM   #1
asfaltboy
asfaltboy began at the beginning.

Device: sony ebook reader prs-505
can't open calibre in window - after update to 0.4.84

I can't open calibre (windows) after installing latest version (0.4.84)..

no errors appear, but it seems to happen right after choosing a library folder, the interface appears for a second and directly dissapears..

maybe i'm not doing it right, which folder should I chose for my library?

p.s: tried searching for "library1.db", "calibre.ini" and "calibre2.ini" and they don't exist on my hard drive... also i don't have a "VirtualStore\Program Files\calibre" dir in my users folder (i'm using vista obviously).

paul
asfaltboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:35 AM   #2
tonyofla
Enthusiast
tonyofla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
same thing happens to me.
tonyofla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Post the output from running the following command in a terminal

Code:
calibre-debug -c "from calibre.gui2.main import main; main()"
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
tonyofla
Enthusiast

Upgrading database to version 2...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "debug.py", line 66, in <module>
File "debug.py", line 55, in main
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 1387, i
n main
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 220, in
__init__
File "calibre\library\database2.pyo", line 386, in __init__
File "calibre\library\database2.pyo", line 412, in upgrade_version_1
sqlite3.OperationalError: no such index: series_idx
Old 09-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you first ran calibre, did it transfer all your books to the new library? Or did it never run at all?
Advert
Old 09-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #6
tonyofla
Enthusiast

it never ran at all.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Delete the metadata.db file and also the file global.py in the calibre directory (do a search for it). Then re-run calibre (0.4.85)
Old 09-20-2008, 07:39 PM   #8
tonyofla
Enthusiast

thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:02 AM   #9
asfaltboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Delete the metadata.db file and also the file global.py in the calibre directory (do a search for it). Then re-run calibre (0.4.85)
Couldn't find neither of these files in all my hard-drive... not in calibre folder too..
Old 09-21-2008, 03:16 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfaltboy View Post
Couldn't find neither of these files in all my hard-drive... not in calibre folder too..
You probably have a different problem. Post the output from the calibre debug command i posted before.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:11 AM   #11
tonyofla
Enthusiast

I couldn’t find the files to be deleted either, after several searches . So I deleted the programme and did a fresh install. Again, it wouldn’t start. Then, I disabled my anti virus (Kaspersky) and installed again. And it’s working! So, I’m guessing that Kaspersky was blocking something during the install? Great upgrade by the way, addition of Irish Times in news feeds a nice plus! (should add that it installed and worked without any problem on my macbook) So Vista+Kaspersky seems to be a problem, at least for me.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm interesting. I think I should add that tip to the FAQ.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #13
asfaltboy

following the above, i disabled my av (trend micro internet security pro) and installed calibre, now it seems to load at last ! thanks guys, great piece of software!
Old 10-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #14
machalla
machalla began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hi,

I'm having a similar problem with Version: 0.4.89 on windows xp (sp3). I have tried disabling realtime protection in avast but that made no difference. The gui never shows, the application just asks about a location for the library every time its run.

Looks like some issue with the sqllite db but I don't know enough about the program to debug this issue properly.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-----

Debug Info is :

C:\Program Files\calibre>calibre-debug -c "from calibre.gui2.main import main; m
ain()"
Upgrading database from version: 1
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "debug.py", line 66, in <module>
File "debug.py", line 55, in main
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 1252, i
n main
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 76, in
__init__
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 1170, i
n read_settings
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 1166, i
n initialize_database
File "calibre\library\database.pyo", line 801, in __init__
File "calibre\library\database.pyo", line 615, in upgrade_version1
sqlite3.OperationalError: duplicate column name: author_sort
machalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

delete the file library1.db and the file metadata.db