Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2008, 05:32 AM   #1
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
Downloading ePub on Apple Mac OS X

I have just bought a UK PRS-505 and initially had problems uploading an ebook to my device. I purchased it from Waterstones. I already had the Mac version of Adobe Digital Editions installed so the download could be opened on the Mac.

I couldn't, however, get Digital Editions to detect the PRS-505. Digging around I found this article by Jim Lester of Adobe in the Adobe Digital Editions forum. Fortunately I have Windows installed on my Mac (using VMWare Fusion) so was able to successfully carry out the instructions. Thought it might help others in a similar situation. Obviously the bit about upgrading the Reader does not apply to UK machines because they already come with the latest firmware. Over to Jim:

- There is a driver that we use to talk to the Sony Reader to put the authentication information for the DRM on the Sony Reader. With this driver we are able to identify when Sony Readers are plugged in to the PC (and when they are disconnected), because of this on Windows, the Sony Readers will show up as Bookshelves in ADE, and you can authenticate your Sony Reader so that it will also display DRM content. 

- The only Mac support for the 505 is that it does show up as a USB Mass Storage device, at the file system, and Sony has not made the driver that ADE uses for the Mac. Because of this, ADE on the Mac does not support the Sony Reader and the Reader will not show up in the ADE UI. 

However you can work around this to get DRM content portability working. 

First, on the same Windows machine that you upgraded your Sony Reader, install ADE and authorize it to your AdobeID. 

Next, plug in your Sony Reader and then in ADE, select the Reader and choose "Authorize Device" from the Library menu (I'm doing this from memory, and I don't have a Sony Reader to test it on right now - so the wording may be off). 

At this point you have a Sony Reader which is authorized to your AdobeID. For any eBooks you purchase on the Mac (with ADE 1.5 authorized to the same AdobeID), you will be able to copy the .pdf/.epub files to your Sony Reader, using the Finder, and then be able to view then on your Sony Reader.
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Thats great cheers
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
digital editions, epub, mac, os x, waterstones