Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #31
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I had a 500, until it had an unfortunate accident. I went to replace it with another 500 when I discovered that the 505 was out. I purchased the 505 (silver) and have no regrets.

I have only partial use of my left thumb, and find the new page turn buttons much more comfortable than those of the 500. And the screen contrast is better as well. I also prefer the way the book cover attaches better than the 500.

All in all it is a personal choice, but for me there was little doubt. The 505 is a better reading experience.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:54 AM   #32
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I can't really speak with the authority of those who have had both, since I only just got a 500 and haven't ever seen a 505 in person, but I'm going to argue for arguments sake that a replacement 500 might be the better option.

Since Tom Swift has owned a 500 before and has been fine with it, and there is such a price difference, it might make sense to go back to something that Tom Swift already knows and likes, and save the $150 that he would have spent. There are a lot of ebook readers coming out in the next few months, and there is a likelihood that we'll see a Kindle II by x-mas this year. And even if we don't, the number of 505 owners who will be switching to Kindle and dumping their 505 will increase by post-xmas. In other words, if Tom Swift can just manage with what he's got for another 6 months, he'll be $150 closer to a third-gen ebook reader.

That's the reason I decided to get a 500 for myself.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #33
bookbinder
Connoisseur
bookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, FW:5.6.1
I've got both, and the 505's improved screen is worth the extra money, imo.
bookbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #34
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I read a lot about the 500, decided to wait for the 505 to come out (and at a reasonable price). I was pretty happy with getting my 505 for around $280.

I generally read with the reader in my left hand, with the original faux(?)-leather case still attached. My thumb rests fairly naturally right where the page turn buttons are in the lower-left. Or I might reach up with my right hand and push the buttons along the side.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the 505s design.
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #35
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
It would be nice if color was irrelevant, but people do make choices based upon color preference. Just look at cars or houses or TVs or anything on the market that has a variety of colors to choose from.

Color, of course, makes no differnce in terms of performance or features on the PRS-505. It's all the same; just choose among the two colors available.

It's really just marketing, in my opinion.

I bought the blue, which I understand was somewaht "rare" for awhile. When I bought my unit at Borders about 3 weeks ago, they had a silver unit on display but the only ones in stock were the blue ones (which I wanted, anyway). They told me that their first shipment was the silver model and that this current shipment was the blue model.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #36
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
notice the sudden popularity of "pink" electronics, cell phones, laptops, mp3 players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It would be nice if color was irrelevant, but people do make choices based upon color preference. Just look at cars or houses or TVs or anything on the market that has a variety of colors to choose from.

Color, of course, makes no differnce in terms of performance or features on the PRS-505. It's all the same; just choose among the two colors available.

It's really just marketing, in my opinion.

I bought the blue, which I understand was somewaht "rare" for awhile. When I bought my unit at Borders about 3 weeks ago, they had a silver unit on display but the only ones in stock were the blue ones (which I wanted, anyway). They told me that their first shipment was the silver model and that this current shipment was the blue model.

Don
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:38 AM   #37
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
So I finally got my new 505. My sister and brother-in-law came to visit me in China, bringing along a new silver 505 for myself and another teacher. Very nice. The build quality seemed stronger and the metal case is nice. I don't like the buttons on the right as much as the 500 and I miss the joystick.
Anyway, yesterday I opened my 505 to find that the external case had come off. The top arm had been bent and was cracked. Worse, it would not turn on. The power switch was floppy and did not turn the device on. Great. Had it for four days and it broke. I phoned my brother-in-law and he still had the receipt so I felt better but it still bugged me, especially since I had missed my 500 for a month and now I would have to wait again. So i decided to fix it myself. I took out the screws and popped the top out. I discovered that the little plastic switch had become dislodged. I put it back in place and reassembled the device and it worked! Yay! I will need a new cover but I think they are available, even though nothing is showing up in Sony Canada. I am going to check out the accessories forum to see if i can find a good case, since they seem to to be a bit too fragile.
Anyway, it worked out for the best. Whew.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:46 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Swift View Post
Anyway, yesterday I opened my 505 to find that the external case had come off. The top arm had been bent and was cracked. Worse, it would not turn on. The power switch was floppy and did not turn the device on.
What on Earth had you done to it to cause that? I'm sure that it didn't just fall to pieces spontaneously, did it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #39
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
I have no idea. I have no recollection of dropping it or anything. It was in my packsack and when I took it out yesterday, I discovered the problem. It worked when I put it in and I didn't even wear the packsack but put it on my scooter. Hopefully it was just a fluke.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote