Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 12:08 AM   #271
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
In the past four weeks Sony have added 2,100 new titles and now have about 120,600 ebooks for sale for the Readers.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #272
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see on Amazon's web page today that they claim "We added more than 75,000 books in just the last five months." Sony have added only 16,000 books in that time. There are days when I just want to throw my Reader into the nearest dumpster.
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 01:00 AM   #273
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I see on Amazon's web page today that they claim "We added more than 75,000 books in just the last five months." Sony have added only 16,000 books in that time. There are days when I just want to throw my Reader into the nearest dumpster.
Awe, you can't read 16,000 books in 5 months and certainly not 75,000 books. If you can find books to read on your device then you are set IMHO.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:01 AM   #274
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
(runs away!!!)
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:19 AM   #275
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
(runs away!!!)
Hey, you!! No gloating grandmas around here!
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 01:21 AM   #276
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Awe, you can't read 16,000 books in 5 months and certainly not 75,000 books. If you can find books to read on your device then you are set IMHO.

Dale
You're right, Dale. I should be very happy that I have plenty to read on my Sony, even though I am missing many, many dozens of books that I want to buy but can't. (doggie forces smile)
Old 10-08-2009, 04:32 AM   #277
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
To be fair, as sony are in the process of switching over to ePub then isn't it actually to be expected that they would limit the amount of books added that weren't brand-new releases during this transitional phase, the more they add then the more work they have to do for the change over.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #278
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:

Honestly? So what?

Unless you are obsessed with a "Mine's bigger than yours!" competition based on who has more ebooks, this is pointless. The question is "Are the books you want available for your reader?" If they are, you don't care how many more books may be available for a competing reader.

And sheer numbers don't tell the story. Consider that "I want to read this book in a Kindle edition" button on Amazon.com. If enough people click that button to make Amazon decide it's worth doing, what happens? In many cases, the book doesn't have a proper electronic version available, so the Kindle edition is produced by scan and OCR of a hard copy, but without any copy editing or proofreading, so the quality of the ebook version leaves a great deal to be desired. Are those books something to feel lacking about?

Your concerns should be "Can I get the books I want to read?" and "Will my device manufacturer remain in the business and continue to support my device?" I can't comment on the first, since I don't know what you read, but the answer to the second seems to be a resounding yes.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #279
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Your concerns should be "Can I get the books I want to read?" and "Will my device manufacturer remain in the business and continue to support my device?" I can't comment on the first, since I don't know what you read, but the answer to the second seems to be a resounding yes.
______
Dennis
The question that I prefer to ask is not "can I get any book I want for the eBook reader", but rather "can I get sufficient books that interest me to keep me busy reading on my reader?" Provided the answer to that latter question is "yes", then I'm happy. Given that I have several lifetimes worth of books that I want to read on my Sony/Bookeen/iRex/Whatever, I have no complaints.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #280
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
You're right, Dale. I should be very happy that I have plenty to read on my Sony, even though I am missing many, many dozens of books that I want to buy but can't. (doggie forces smile)
I'm pretty sure you know that there are more paces to buy ebooks for the Sony than just the Sony store.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #281
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
You do realize that you are not limited to purchasing ebooks from Sony, right? It's the Kindle owners who are subject to Amazon. You are free to roam.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #282
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I think there is an echo bug in this forum software.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #283
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Great minds think alike (and simultaneously) Bob.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #284
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Part of the disconnect in numbers is 1) the sheer number of PD titles uploaded constantly on Amazon and 2)the self published books. I know it depends on what you read, but in the past few months I haven't had a single book that was recently published that I want that wasn't posted on Sony.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #285
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Part of the disconnect in numbers is 1) the sheer number of PD titles uploaded constantly on Amazon and 2)the self published books. I know it depends on what you read, but in the past few months I haven't had a single book that was recently published that I want that wasn't posted on Sony.
It is. Amazon has stopped letting folks upload PD books though supposedly.

I do occasionally find a book on Amazon that's not at Sony, but it doesn't happen anywhere near as often as it used to.

I have a feeling, haven't researched it, that Amazon would have a clear lead when it comes to non-fiction and textbook type titles.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, duppy?, puppy!