Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #211
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post

it would have made more sense if sony made a product that worked with the amazon store. building their own store and own proprietary format and then going up against amazon for cripes sake is absolutely foolish IMHO.
I love my Kindle but I do have to point out that Amazon is one of the new kids on the ebook reader block. Sony was on their 2nd generation before Kindle 1.0 came out.

We don't know if Amazon and Sony ever discussed working together or not. I'm sure a lot of Sony owners (not all) would be happy if they could purchase ebook content from Amazon at the same prices as Kindle owners.

Who knows, maybe someday it will happen.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #212
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
I agree, I just want to read. The more places I can buy my books from the better. It also helps with competition keeping the prices down.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #213
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post

it would have made more sense if sony made a product that worked with the amazon store. building their own store and own proprietary format and then going up against amazon for cripes sake is absolutely foolish IMHO.
Sony had eBook Readers long before Amazon had eBooks or Kindles.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #214
rawlus
rawlus doesn't litterrawlus doesn't litter

Device: bookeen cybook
i'll concede amazon is new at the electronic hardware ereader game.
but they are an established pro at the content side of things.

sony's lack of experience here, and more importantly, their inability to have major influence over publishers, puts them at a disadvantage - how big a disadvantage will be determined after this plays out over the next year or so. by then amazon may have 400,000 kindle books and we'll be able to better determine if the sony business model can withstand the test of time.
rawlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #215
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So did you join the Kindle book club just to purchase ebooks for your Sony?

BOb
I didn't join any book clubs, but if you are asking if I bought a Kindle just to purchase ebooks for my Sony my answer is kind of. I bought a Kindle because Amazon had enough books that I was interested in that weren't available in the Sony store. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, content is king. However, once I got the kindle and then found out how easy it was to format shift, I decided that I greatly prefer reading on the Sony.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #216
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Sony had eBook Readers long before Amazon had eBooks or Kindles.

Dale
Not so. Amazon had eBooks but then decided to stoop having eBooks. This was before there was ever any eink readers available. When Amazon decided to stop supporting eBooks, this did piss off a lot of people who had purchased eBooks and needed to redownload when upgrading computers because of the way DRM tends to work. This is not a case of the store going bust. It's a case of the store deciding not to support it's customers. Barnes & Nobels did the same sort of thing with eBooks back when.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #217
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I didn't join any book clubs, but if you are asking if I bought a Kindle just to purchase ebooks for my Sony my answer is kind of.
Yes... that is my euphemistic way of saying you bought a Kindle. I have seen many lament here about not being able to buy ebooks from Amazon for their Sony, CyBook or other and I just tell them all they need to do is "Join the Kindle book club"... sort of an alter-ego of the Fictionwise book club with is $30 a year or something to get the better prices.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #218
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not so. Amazon had eBooks but then decided to stoop having eBooks. This was before there was ever any eink readers available. When Amazon decided to stop supporting eBooks, this did piss off a lot of people who had purchased eBooks and needed to redownload when upgrading computers because of the way DRM tends to work. This is not a case of the store going bust. It's a case of the store deciding not to support it's customers. Barnes & Nobels did the same sort of thing with eBooks back when.
And this was in 2003 when Sony first started producing books for their reader? Don't say not so when you don't know what you are talking about.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #219
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
In the past two weeks Sony have added about 1000 new titles and now have about 53,000 ebooks for sale for the Readers. (Note that previous totals for Sony that I've listed in this thread have included the sum of books in all categories which recently included about 3500 double-counts). They have added an average of 90 new ebooks per day to their store since Sept., 2007.

In the same period Amazon have added approximately 10,000 new titles (a 2.8% increase) and now have about 201,000 ebooks for sale for the Kindle with an average of 305 new ebooks per day added to their offerings since Nov., 2007.

Last edited by vivaldirules; 11-19-2008 at 09:55 PM.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:13 AM   #220
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the past two weeks Sony have added about 1600 new titles (a 3.2% increase) and now have about 54,600 ebooks for sale for the Readers. (Note again that previous totals for Sony that I listed in this thread before Nov., 2008 included the sum of books in all categories which included roughly 3500 double-counts). They have added an average of about 90 new ebooks per day to their store since Sept., 2007.

In the same period Amazon have added approximately 5900 new titles (a 2.9% increase) and now have about 206,900 ebooks for sale for the Kindle with an average of 310 new ebooks per day added to their offerings since Nov., 2007.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #221
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

In the past two weeks Sony have added about 1900 new titles (a 3.5% increase) and now have about 56,600 ebooks for sale for the Readers. (Note again that previous totals for Sony that I listed in this thread before Nov., 2008 included the sum of books in all categories which included roughly 3500 double-counts). They have added an average of about 90 new ebooks per day to their store since Sept., 2007.

In the same period Amazon have added approximately 6600 new titles (a 3.2% increase) and now have about 213,500 ebooks for sale for the Kindle with an average of 314 new ebooks per day added to their offerings since Nov., 2007.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:42 PM   #222
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I didn't join any book clubs, but if you are asking if I bought a Kindle just to purchase ebooks for my Sony my answer is kind of. I bought a Kindle because Amazon had enough books that I was interested in that weren't available in the Sony store. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, content is king. However, once I got the kindle and then found out how easy it was to format shift, I decided that I greatly prefer reading on the Sony.
Same thing for me. I prefer reading on the Sony. I buy all my books from Amazon now that I have a Kindle, and promptly make a Sony version of the book. I love how small the Sony is, and it's so comfortable to hold. But mostly I LOVE the pages numbers instead of the position dots that the Kindle give you while reading. Don't get me wrong, there are positives for owning the Kindle, it's just that I prefer reading on the Sony. The only thing missing is courage to change the font type on my Sony, the Kindle has a better font. Once I do that, it will be perfect!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #223
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
The only thing missing is courage to change the font type on my Sony, the Kindle has a better font.
The Kindle uses Caecillia font. I'm using it on my Reader.

Come to the font-changing side.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:20 AM   #224
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
The Kindle uses Caecillia font. I'm using it on my Reader.

Come to the font-changing side.
Did you buy it? I look at the website and saw it $46 for 5 licenses. I manage to find it for $25 for 1 license at another website. Do you know a place where I could buy it cheaper?
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:30 AM   #225
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
In the past two weeks Sony have added about 1900 new titles (a 3.5% increase) and now have about 56,600 ebooks for sale for the Readers. (Note again that previous totals for Sony that I listed in this thread before Nov., 2008 included the sum of books in all categories which included roughly 3500 double-counts). They have added an average of about 90 new ebooks per day to their store since Sept., 2007.

In the same period Amazon have added approximately 6600 new titles (a 3.2% increase) and now have about 213,500 ebooks for sale for the Kindle with an average of 314 new ebooks per day added to their offerings since Nov., 2007.
I still don't understand the disparity between Amazon's and Sony's numbers. I don't think I've found a single ebook on amazon I couldn't find on Sony.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, duppy?, puppy!