Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-15-2022, 03:41 PM   #1
mcandre
Connoisseur
mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
Lightbulb Feature request: Bulk edit the IDs field

Hi,

I enjoy Calibre's bulk edit capability. Can we please add the IDs field to the bulk edit options?

I have a large library with a lot of junk data in this field, however Calibre currently lacks the ability to bulk edit this field.
mcandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 04:33 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandre View Post
Hi,

I enjoy Calibre's bulk edit capability. Can we please add the IDs field to the bulk edit options?

I have a large library with a lot of junk data in this field, however Calibre currently lacks the ability to bulk edit this field.
I don't think there is a bulk edit feature in the book editor. Do you mean the bulk metadata edit in the main library? Does IDs mean "identifiers"? If so then editing identifiers is already there. If you mean something else then please explain further.

The attached screen capture shows how to delete the identifier named 'x' from all selected books.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	195022  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2022, 09:04 PM   #3
mcandre
Connoisseur
mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

There is a bulk edit feature. When you select multiple books, then edit, most of the fields are presented.

However, the IDs field is missing.
mcandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:25 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
There is a bulk edit feature. When you select multiple books, then edit, most of the fields are presented.

Identifiers are supposed to be unique as they identify a version.
Identifiers have 2 parts. Type:Value
AFAIK you can only assign one of any type.
You can remove in Bulk, a TYPE in the tag browser.
I believe that also offers All or current VL
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:05 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

OK, we are talking about the same thing, metadata bulk edit. You put this thread in the (book) Editor subforum. I will move it to the Library Management subforum.

For various interface and technical reasons the Identifiers field doesn't appear on the bulk metadata edit "Basic metadata" tab. I doubt this will change. I know I am not interested in doing the work.

However, as I said above, you can edit identifiers using the bulk metadata edit "Search and replace" tab in "Regular expression" mode. You can delete identifiers, change an identifier name, change an identifier value, create new identifiers from existing ones, or replace the entire set of identifiers with the result of evaluating a template.

As @theducks pointed out, you can delete identifiers from the tag browser.
Advert
Old 07-16-2022, 05:06 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Moderator Notice
Moved to the Library Management subforum
Old 09-07-2022, 08:09 PM   #7
meghane_e
Connoisseur
meghane_e began at the beginning.

Hello,
I can understand why a bulk Ids field seems like an unpleasant proposition since it's based on unique identiers and the theory that everything has a pre-existing assigned UID.

So how could I approach a situation where I have the following 3 cases simultaneously?
1. Individual chapters from an online story were initially loaded in from a particular site but a UID wasn't assigned at the time (by me). In my case it's been 10 years! Eventually, the chapters were compiled into a single book, both by me and then when the author found a publisher.

2. I have a large number of books released directly from small authors without any IDs because the books weren't listed in a broad DB anywhere at the time (years ago now).

3. Other books I have weren't recorded with a mobi-asin or asin number at the time but they are now.

Today, I want to create IDs for the individual chapters, compiled stories, author-released books, and updated IDs. It seems like it would be easier to address case 3 if I can get cases 1 and 2 out of the way. Yes/no?

If yes, I'd like to create an incremental ID in bulk metadata Search/Replace. I would probably want a format that used something like website_name + story_id + chapter_number. Can that be done? Would the plugin for series apply somewhat directly?

Thanks for ideas!
meghane_e is offline   Reply With Quote