Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
UITDEV
UITDEV will become famous soon enoughUITDEV will become famous soon enoughUITDEV will become famous soon enoughUITDEV will become famous soon enoughUITDEV will become famous soon enoughUITDEV will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
2 Users on 1 Kindle Device?

Greetings. I just bought a Kindle DX and my wife has begun to read it a lot. She has already purchased a couple of books, via the Kindle, using my account. Now she's beginning to talk about maybe getting one for herself within 6 months.

Until she gets her own device, is it possible for her to:

1) use her own Amazon account to purchase more books, having those books pushed to my physical Kindle
2) then when she gets her own Kindle in May/June, can she have her books moved from my Kindle to hers, deleting them from mine?

We cant seem to find out how this works and short of emailing Amazon (which we probably will anyway), has anyone run into this scenario?
UITDEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You probably don't want to do it that way. Buy all your books from the SAME Amazon account; that way they can be shared between all the Kindles (and other reading devices) that you have registered to that account.

ie:

1 account + multiple Kindles = good
1 Kindle + multiple accounts = bad

HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I would agree that keeping one Amazon account for all books and both Kindles is a good idea.

I understand wanting to keep seperate finances as my husband and I keep our spending money accounts seperate. It's much more peaceful than disagreements over who got to spend the most.

What you can do on Amazon is create multiple payment methods within one account. You couldn't use the one-click buying this way but it's still very easy to do since it asks you during checkout which of your saved payment methods to use. This method would allow both of you access to all books purchased.

The only other way to get books from one account onto a Kindle registered on another account is to install Calibre with plugins and go the DRM stripping route.

Keep an eye on this sticky for free Kindle books. We have several members here who kindly post the free promos everyday. There are also lots of great free reads in Kindle format available in MR's free library.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
For Kindle, check-out is always one-click; it will never ask you for a credit card number, etc. You can go into your account, and switch the default payment method before buying anything, however. You might prefer to buy Amazon gift cards, like one $25 card a month from each person, and apply it to the account. Kindle purchases are always deducted from the gift card balance first.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
For Kindle, check-out is always one-click; it will never ask you for a credit card number, etc.
Depends how you buy your books, of course. You're right that on the Kindle itself, book buying is always one click, but I prefer to browse the Kindle Store on my PC, and buy books that way, and if you do that you do get a choice of payment methods. Much easier to see what's available on a PC's web browser.
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For Kindle, check-out is always one-click; it will never ask you for a credit card number, etc. You can go into your account, and switch the default payment method before buying anything, however. You might prefer to buy Amazon gift cards, like one $25 card a month from each person, and apply it to the account. Kindle purchases are always deducted from the gift card balance first.
Thanks! I have never tried anything else with my Kindle books so I guess I shouldn't have assumed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Depends how you buy your books, of course. You're right that on the Kindle itself, book buying is always one click, but I prefer to browse the Kindle Store on my PC, and buy books that way, and if you do that you do get a choice of payment methods. Much easier to see what's available on a PC's web browser.
Okay, so you can change the method from one click when buying on PC? That's what I was talking about anyway, not directly from Kindle. I guess I should have been more specific. I, too, enjoy browsing books on my laptop.

Last edited by wvcherrybomb; 01-17-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: confusion
Old 01-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
UITDEV
UITDEV will become famous soon enoughUITDEV will become famous soon enoughUITDEV will become famous soon enoughUITDEV will become famous soon enoughUITDEV will become famous soon enoughUITDEV will become famous soon enough

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and replies.. We'll keep the one account for that and future devices. If she feels she wants to pay for the book then she'll go online and put her credit card number in at the one account assigned to the device. Then in the future we can share books as described above. Very cool. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
UITDEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
.....Keep an eye on this sticky for free Kindle books. We have several members here who kindly post the free promos everyday. There are also lots of great free reads in Kindle format available in MR's free library.
Thanks for these links!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
She could give you a gift certificate each month for her to spend on books.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
In the US, buying Kindle books on the PC is also always one-click. Maybe in the UK (for HarryT) it is different. Of course, if you are already on the PC, you can go into your account, and change credit cards before you click on a book.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
Hubby and I also share an Amazon account for the Kindles. We had each had our own account before I got my K1 so we didn't have an issue. When I got the K2i as a Christmas present and gave my hubby my K1, we decided to just keep both Kindles on the same account so we could share books between each other.
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Quote:
In the US, buying Kindle books on the PC is also always one-click. Maybe in the UK (for HarryT) it is different. Of course, if you are already on the PC, you can go into your account, and change credit cards before you click on a book.
Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I could have just went to my Amazon account and tried it, but you saved me the trouble.
It's good to know for future reference.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
You are absolutely right; I've just checked and the one-click options are all that's there. Since I always buy everything on Amazon with one-click I hadn't noticed that. Thank you for the correction.

Tags
kindle dx, share ebooks