Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
Suggestions for Kindle Devs

I'm surprised there is not a sticky thread on this already, but hey, let me get my request in ;-)

App that saves (upon request?) dictionary searches so that I can have a 'book' with my words and their definitions

To-Do list

Book Tagging and/or the ability to mark a book 'read'
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:08 AM   #2
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
I was thinking about this the other day, while looking up a few words. It seems like a feature the kindle should already have and something Amazon should implement. When I look up a word I usually write it down, as I always forget. But I would love to have a way to continually review the words I have learned, this way I actually remember them.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
I have another suggestion, although I believe that Amazon charges for app use of the wireless. I'd like to be able to 'mark' a book as 'What I'm reading' or add to my shelf on LibraryThing, GoodReads, Shelfari, etc.
The ability to star it would also be nice.
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
gotbot
gotbot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Tagging and MBP Files

Great thread idea. I love the books I'm reading sync to shelfari, etc idea. (Perhaps if Amazon charges for app wireless access, it could be save on the Kindle then sent up to the net when you synch with a desktop... maybe as a new Calibre plugin or something).

Here's something I have a need for. I have lots of book on my Kindle. I want to organize them in genre using the "tagging" workaround that's been described. So for each book, I have to open the book, create a "note" and put in whatever tags I want. Example, xscifi, xclassic, x19thcentury, xthriller, etc. I want a way to do this quickly, not one at a time.

I looked into the possibility of altering the mbp files themselves that store the notes for each book. I found a perl project that can read them but nothing that can actually decompile one, update it then recompile. (this is a propriety binary format from Sony isn't it?).

So without programmatic way to update or create mbp files I don't see a way to implement this tagging system quickly.

Perhaps it's a moot point since it is rumored that the next os from amazon will include more book organization features.
gotbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorz View Post
I was thinking about this the other day, while looking up a few words. It seems like a feature the kindle should already have and something Amazon should implement. When I look up a word I usually write it down, as I always forget. But I would love to have a way to continually review the words I have learned, this way I actually remember them.
I believe you can clip a word + definition in the dictionary. This would copy it to you clippings.

I've never tried it personally, but recall someone mentioning it in the amazon forum
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
A couple of things to add:
  • TuxGirl is correct, you can highlight an entry in the dictionary and will be appended to 'My Clippings'.
  • Calibre 0.6.45 and above has a new feature Fetch Annotations (in the Send to device menu) which will read the contents of any .mbp files associated with files that calibre knows about on your Kindle, so you can read your annotations in calibre's metadata viewer, in the comments section.
  • Calibre 0.6.46 (not yet released) will also fetch 'My Clippings' and add it to the calibre database, so you can review all of your annotations in one location.
  • Using calibre as your front-end to the Kindle allows you to mark a book as read (using a tag). You can build a catalog of your content, showing all books marked as read with a checkmark. See this thread for more info.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote