Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #16
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Adam Hall was the first name that came to my mind because I enjoyed The Quiller Memorandum so much.

I've never read anything of Eric Ambler's, but I have always gotten the impression that he had the best reputation of writers of the genre.

I enjoy very much John Gardner's Boysie Oakes books, such as The Liquidator. I might call them a guilty pleasure because they aren't that great but I enjoy them anyway.

I most strongly recommend Martin Waddell's Otley Victorious, which was the most enjoyable book I have ever read. Otley was a series of books, the first of which (just called Otley) wasn't nearly as good. I'd like to read the others.

Len Deighton was mentioned above. I don't think I have ever read anything of his, but I have been meaning to one day read one or more of his Harry Palmer books such as The Ipcress File.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #17
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Wow. You guys covered the core of the genre awesomely! I'd propose adding David Baldacci for his Camel Club series and others, though he could be considered straight political thriller rather than espionage.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #18
dougbiss
Enthusiast
dougbiss doesn't litterdougbiss doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Great suggestions, everyone... thanks so much.

Now I have to determine the order to read them, based not just on quality but also on availability and price. Looks like I have a bit of research to do!
dougbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #19
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Oh, I forgot Trevanian. Now there's a great underestimated writer. I've read all of those and Shibumi and The Eiger Sanction really stand out. (Don't blame Trevanian for the Eiger Sanction movie, heh)
I second Trevanian, his ' the Summer of Katya' is one of the best books I ever read (but NO espionage book )

I'm suprised Allan Folsom isn't mentioned, his ' The Day After Tomorrow' is awsome.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #20
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
If you like Tom Clancy, try Larry Bond. Otherwise, probably don't.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #21
jdh
Enthusiast
jdh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle3, Voyage
I would add Helen MacInnes. She's a good storyteller, with likeable intelligent characters.
jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #22
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
John Maxim's world of Bannerman and relations... Hard to find in paper-back, let alone ebook format.

Imagine a US government run assassin deciding to hang it up and retire peacefully with 30 of his friends, in small-town USA. There is a web of books with related characters, but they all meet in the Bannerman books.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #23
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
I just discovered (and bought) Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series. I'm surprised that he's not mentioned. I wonder if that means I'm going to be disapointed?
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #24
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
No, you won't be disappointed in the Gabriel Allon series. They are excellent (actually, the first few are just very good and then they get better as Allon's character is more fully fleshed out). Be sure to read the books in order!
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #25
Croptop
Zealot
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 5
This is a great thread! Many thanks to dougbiss for posting the question and many more thanks to everyone for the great leads. My planned reading list has just become significantly longer.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #26
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
Hi all,

Some great recommendations on here. I'll suggest Alan Furst if you like period/historical stories, though his plots sometimes give way to characters and setting. Also, much underrated is Charles McCarry -- his Paul Christopher novels are great.

As if you don't have enough to read

Steve

Last edited by Steve Anderson; 07-30-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #27
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Seeing this thread again, it occurs to me that no one has mentioned John Buchan, who invented the modern spy genre.

Harry has placed a Buchan omnibus in the MR library.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Buchan
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:07 PM   #28
rblover
Connoisseur
rblover began at the beginning.

Device: none as yet
Donald Hamilton is good.
rblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:20 AM   #29
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Barry Eisler and Joseph Finder are excellent writers of that genre you wouldn't want to miss out on either.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:38 AM   #30
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Definitely give John le Carré a try, he's the Grandmaster of Espionage. His novels are more literary than action, though. His early stuff is a little shaky as he hadn't found his voice until the mid-1970s. He was at his peak starting with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy in 1974 and on until the late 1980s with The Russia House in 1989. Anything you choose from that time period will be brilliant. Be warned: The Honourable Schoolboy and Smiley's People are sequels to Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, so there are some spoilers--read them in order. He's been pretty good since the end of the Cold War, but the Cold War was his forte. Of his post-Cold War novels, The Night Manager, Our Game, The Tailor of Panama, and The Mission Song are pretty decent.

Also give Alan Furst a try. He writes about espionage during World War 2. He's a very spare writer, but his atmosphere alone launches him into the realms of Literature. He's very, very good.

If you can track down a copy, also try The Turn-around by Vladimir Volkoff. It's out of print now, but hopefully some enterprising e-book publisher will resurrect it. It's the only other espionage novel I've read that even comes close to le Carré in terms of narrative, character, and themes, and I've read Trevanian, Len Deighton, Eric Ambler, Adam Hall, Daniel Silva, and Tom Clancy.

Graham Greene wrote The Quiet American (very good) and The Human Factor (good). While dealing less with espionage, The Honourary Consul and The Comedians were good as well. I'm not much of a fan of his other thrillers, but you can give them a try. I think they are very similar to Eric Ambler's.

Last edited by SlowRain; 08-08-2010 at 07:29 AM.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote