Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Txtr without WLAN

One day before the planned sales launch of their Txtr Reader, german startup txtr announced, in a surprise move, that their device will NOT have WLAN connectivity. Online connectivity will be restricted to the built in EDGE module, apparently. Price will drop 20 Euro, too, bringing it to a still considerable 299 Euro! That's the same as Sony's Touch Edition, for example. Here is part of what german "lesen.net" said:

Quote:
Einen Tag vor dem Vorverkaufsstart des txtr Reader hat das Berliner Unternehmen eine gewichtige Änderungen bei den technischen Spezifikationen bekannt gegeben. Dem Rotstift zum Opfer fiel das integrierte WLAN-Modul, die Synchronisation der eigenen digitalen Bibliothek wie der Kauf von eBooks auf txtr.com läuft entsprechend ausschließlich über das EDGE-Netz von E-Plus.
http://www.lesen.net/ereader/txtr-re...hne-wlan-1750/

As soon as we know more, we will update this news!

Last edited by mtravellerh; 11-30-2009 at 09:07 AM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Oh, man. I was looking forward to Wifi.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This was announced 1(one) day before the official start of the sales. That's what so strange about this. This leaves one of 2 possibilities

1. Txtr knew about this problem for a long while and chose not to talk about it
2. The real production of the devices, that will be sold beginning tomorrow, has not really begun yet. The txtr should be shipped by dec 15!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Not good. Or, as we would read on other forae: FAIL.

But since we are on MR here:

There was a considerable interest for the txtr especially in circles of "power users" or people who like to develop and hack to improve and broaden usability of a device. Those will be severely disappointed. And txtr will thus just have axed a large amount of consumer interest.

NB: I'm really looking forward to the reports people will give about the eplus net. eplus is notorious for its ... let's say "changeable net quality" here in Germany and EGDE coverage is rather thin in many areas.

Last edited by beachwanderer; 11-30-2009 at 09:38 AM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
So, no Txtr for me. The main reason for me to consider this one was the WLAN.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
yeah, kinda squashes my interest.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
Joghurt
Programmer
Joghurt will become famous soon enoughJoghurt will become famous soon enoughJoghurt will become famous soon enoughJoghurt will become famous soon enoughJoghurt will become famous soon enoughJoghurt will become famous soon enough

Device: PB360
Wifi was the second important feature I was looking for besides an open architecture, so no txtr for me, at least none of that series...
Joghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
t-town
Connoisseur
t-town began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Damn, hoped for a good device with wifi...
No txtr for me!

Last edited by t-town; 11-30-2009 at 12:01 PM.
t-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Great way to alienate consumers. I had some hopes for the device, though a lot more skepticism given that it's still e-ink. I wouldn't care too much about wireless connectivity or edge or whatever, but the fact that one of it's primary selling points was eliminated makes me wonder what other kinds of compromises the company is willing to accept.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
hmmm. sad. I was really looking forward to this device for myself and to adding them to our product line. Perhaps its just a temporary set-back. It would have been nice to hear from them about this in an email.

I suppose i will still order one for reference/review.

-charlie
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
hmm bluetooth is still in there.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Hmm, bluetooth raises some hopes, since then you could tether it, for easy transfer, but would still rather have wifi.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #13
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
A strange move indeed, and on pretty short notice too...

It also appears that the launch date has been moved as well. If I understood correctly there will only be Preview devices before christmas, no review samples, so I guess also no shipping to customers beforce christmas and problably not this year because there is precious little time between christmas and new year...

Last edited by CommanderROR; 11-30-2009 at 05:10 PM.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #14
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
A strange move indeed, and on pretty short notice too...

It also appears that the launch date has been moved as well. If I understood correctly there will only be Preview devices before christmas, no review samples, so I guess also no shipping to customers beforce christmas and problably not this year because there is precious little time between christmas and new year...
That's logical, after all. The fact that they could take this strange decision this far in he process clearly shows that not a great number of devices have been made so far. Even if they'd began full scale production today, there's no way in the world for a large number production in roughly ten days! They'd have to test all those readers before shipping them off. That alone would last more than two weeks!
Old 11-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The lack of WiFi will most probably lead to that I will not buy the device. The reason I wanted to buy it was to develop applications using net connection and I am not interested in paying for one more data plan.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote