Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #241
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
A quick study of the listings at the Sony store makes it clear that they have added over 12,000 new ebooks in the last four weeks. I will have to work a bit this weekend to determine a more accurate figure but the total number of separate titles is now well over 75,000. That rate of adding new titles is at least three times their previous rate. It would appear that they are simply a bit late in trying to meet their stated promise of 100,000 titles by the end of last year. Good on ya, Sony!

Last edited by vivaldirules; 03-27-2009 at 04:47 PM.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #242
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I quick study of the listings at the Sony store makes it clear that they have added over 12,000 new ebooks in the last four weeks. I will have to work a bit this weekend to determine a more accurate figure but the total number of separate titles is now well over 75,000. That rate of adding new titles is at least three times their previous rate. It would appear that they are simply a bit late in trying to meet their stated promise of 100,000 titles by the end of last year. Good on ya, Sony!
Their romance section has gone from under 7,000 to almost 10,000 in the past few weeks (and a lot of that is backlist stuff).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #243
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A closer look confirms that Sony now have just over 75,000 separate titles available for sale at their ebook site for the Readers. The plot below is of the number separate titles (no multiple counts) since September, 2007.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SonyTitles.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	24608  
Old 02-28-2009, 09:40 AM   #244
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
A closer look confirms that Sony now have just over 75,000 separate titles available for sale at their ebook site for the Readers. The plot below is of the number separate titles (no multiple counts) since September, 2007.
Wow that's a nice little jump
Old 03-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #245
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

In the past four weeks Sony have added over 15,000 new titles and now have about 91,000 ebooks for sale for the Readers. That's a rate of 535 new titles per day compared to their rate of barely 90 per day which they maintained through all of last year. I've excluded multiple counts in the figure (i.e., books that might be listed in several different category are counted only once here). The new titles do not include the half million free ebooks that they now make available through their partnership with Google. Nor does the figure reflect any increase in the number of public domain Sony Classics (they still offer the same 952 titles that they did in 2007). As far as I can tell, this is a solid attempt to make up ground with Amazon - and it is making me very happy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sony.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	26617  
Old 03-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #246
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
In the past four weeks Sony have added over 15,000 new titles and now have about 91,000 ebooks for sale for the Readers. That's a rate of 535 new titles per day compared to their rate of barely 90 per day which they maintained through all of last year. I've excluded multiple counts in the figure (i.e., books that might be listed in several different category are counted only once here). The new titles do not include the half million free ebooks that they now make available through their partnership with Google. Nor does the figure reflect any increase in the number of public domain Sony Classics (they still offer the same 952 titles that they did in 2007). As far as I can tell, this is a solid attempt to make up ground with Amazon - and it is making me very happy!
Me too! Right now I'm actually going through my 1001 list to see if any have been added since the last time I checked (about a month and a half ago). I'm on G and I've found three, which is actually pretty good considering none are public domain and this would all be backlist stuff.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #247
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Wow! Big jump. I'm happy that you're happy!

Though it doesn't effect me, I appreciate all the work you put into tracking this data.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #248
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Me too! Right now I'm actually going through my 1001 list to see if any have been added since the last time I checked (about a month and a half ago). I'm on G and I've found three, which is actually pretty good considering none are public domain and this would all be backlist stuff.
Please let us know how it turns out. That would be very good information.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #249
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

I had an addition of six, of which only one was a public domain book. However, I've noticed a lot fo literary guides have been added (such as Harold Bloom series), and I'm not sure if the books are included in these guides. Since it wasn't really clear on any of them, I didn't add them. There were 8-10 of those.

For the Sony Reader, I have that 372 of the 1001 are available as ebook. From these, 103 are from MobileRead or more. I originally checked for the books on Sony and then MR, so there are likely much more from MR.

And there are also a few in the original language, which I don't count, because I can't read it. Mostly french.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:32 AM   #250
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

In the past four weeks Sony have added about 13,500 new titles and now have about 104,000 ebooks for sale for the Readers. That's a rate of 500 new titles per day. The new trend at Sony continues!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SonyApril2009.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	28017  
Old 04-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #251
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
In the past four weeks Sony have added about 13,500 new titles and now have about 104,000 ebooks for sale for the Readers. That's a rate of 500 new titles per day. The new trend at Sony continues!
Yay! They aren't doing too bad
Old 04-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #252
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
This is actually great news. I don't buy from the Sony store, but I do appreciate the fact that Sony is still serious about supporting the Reader. Every time I read a news item on how everyone is buying the Kindle I wonder how long do we have before Sony calls it quits.

It seems they're not giving up. Way to go Sony!
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #253
werpu
werpu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sony will hardly give up their reader line. They have been selling more than they expected and currently they have a sort of monopoly in europe with the Kindle only being present in the US. Ok the european lineup is almost non existent with a few hundred titles per language buyable (Sony does not run its own store) but at least there is a load of stuff in the public domain. And since there is no kindle there is Sony only present in the bookstores everywhere...
werpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #254
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by werpu View Post
Ok the european lineup is almost non existent with a few hundred titles per language buyable (Sony does not run its own store) but at least there is a load of stuff in the public domain. And since there is no kindle there is Sony only present in the bookstores everywhere...
If Amazon decides to sell the Kindle2 in europe too and offers let's say only 5000 titles per language, then Sony will get a really big problem in europe. It's all about the content. We need more ebooks available in european languages. Hopefully the european publishers will wake up from their hibernation as soon as possible...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #255
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
Getting them in Canada has proven to be quite a challenge. The Sony Stores in my city never have any stock and the lead times to order them online was 2-3 weeks.

I finally managed to get my order filled by Dell(.ca) and my reader is in transit (almost 3 week wait)!!

I felt there was no point in even trying to get a Kindle since the wireless functionality would not work here anyway. That's the only advantage I could find over the PRS 505 I ordered.

Hopefully the long lead times don't mean they've stopped production!

All that to say, the more books at the Sony store the better.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, duppy?, puppy!