Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #31
Scythe
Scythe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PR505
HarryT is completely spot on. The beauty with eInk is that the only CPU work being done is the original rendering of the image to the screen, then it goes into standby. The processor goes into "hibernation" where it can remain for many many days and the page will stay continually on the screen with very minuscule power drain.

Also, the screen on an eInk display only needs power upon picture change. Hence why you get that slightly annoying flicker on page change. It wipes the screen (per se), and then displays the new rendering. It's very similar to an etch-a-sketch.

With LCD it has to display constantly, at a high refresh rate to even maintain something close to the eInk display. Enjoy that 5 hour battery time

You can compare it to your mobile phone. Does your LCD stay on for days at a time, or does it go to sleep?

Last edited by Scythe; 09-09-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:14 AM   #32
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
Maybe sony will release support for Kindle format in a revolutionary alliance with Amazon and Amazon will allow their content to be available worldwide!

Ya - I know. DREAMING. But wouldn't that be amazing in terms of available content?

What about a wifi dongle that could be plugged into the min-USB allowing you to port from Mac/PC and (dare I dream) Linux? I don't need the ability to buy anywhere anytime...that woul dbe financially ruinous for me - but to be able to transfer would be great.

Last edited by khourianya; 09-09-2008 at 10:25 AM.
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #33
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Sony need not go for kindle books, they could go for mobipocket format support and open their own mobipocket bookstore...well, I guess that's dreaming too...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #34
tonyofla
Enthusiast
tonyofla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
They can’t announce a new model next month can they, just after launching the 505 with Waterstones in the UK and Ireland? That would mean that they were offloading old stock on us. Sony would never do something like that would they?
tonyofla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #35
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
You can compare it to your mobile phone. Does your LCD stay on for days at a time, or does it go to sleep?
Mine is on all the time since it displays the time. But the back light is not on all the time. So I do not believe that LCD without back light affect the reading time compared to the CPU consumption which give a standby time of 5 days in for example the Cybook.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #36
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well, as a Mac user I would say that "good portion" isn't quite correct. I have heard estimates of 5% Mac penetration in the US. While that is a large number, it is a very small percentage.
Its actually around 10% in the US now, with ~5% world wide.

I for one hope for an updated Sony Reader, and this invite makes me think no less than that.. Maybe it'll become my next purchase, instead of a Cybook? But then it has to have proper Mac support..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #37
mattgb
mattgb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
There is a competing technology: LCD.
The only real benefit of Eink is it uses less energy than an LCD. But if you have the Eink screen in a reader with a moderately powerful CPU, the power savings are negligible. Most of the power is consumed by the electronics, not the screen.
Also note that because en eInk screen doesn't refresh it is MUCH easier on the eye just like an, erm, book! (Although I personally do not suffer headache from staring at an LCD screen all day at work I know people who do and also, for me, eInk is definitely less tiring than reading from an LCD screen).

Also (and this is major IMHO) - as long as the ambient lighting is good enough to read a book then you I can read my PRS-505 - that includes fairly low 'ambient' lighting in my bedroom of an evening to ultra bright sunlight on the beach in Sardinia a fortnight ago! Frankly I was amazed at the performance on the beach - it really came into its own.

Last edited by mattgb; 09-09-2008 at 10:31 AM.
mattgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #38
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
It's enough that I look at LCD screen for 15 minutes to get a headache. On CRT monitor, even worse. I work on LCD screens, with brightness set to minimum, contrast to 40%, additional gamma settings to make it less bright, and bright lamp pointed at the screen - but I'd never take LCD over eInk screen.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #39
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Sony has built their Reader brand on e-ink, to change it to something else would be folly. Likewise, the price of each unit will decrease over time. This is a function of economies of scale. Since the main cost driver is still the e-ink screen, everything in pricing is dependent on that one component.

I see several possible actions they could take:
  • a new 6" model with extended battery life
  • A move to ePub for all future Sony books
  • Opening the selling of ePub books for the Sony to many new sources such as Boarders, etc.
  • Introduction of a larger b+w e-ink Reader
I would be surprised if they changed the form factor of the current Reader or introduced an additional Reader with color e-ink.

PS: Bob, My wife's Baby Lock also requires Windows for all of the associated software.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #40
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Its actually around 10% in the US now, with ~5% world wide.

I for one hope for an updated Sony Reader, and this invite makes me think no less than that.. Maybe it'll become my next purchase, instead of a Cybook? But then it has to have proper Mac support..
I would believe 10% of sales in recent quarter were 10%. But, I don't think that equates to 10% of machines in use being Macs. I also thing the vast majority of Macs out there are still PPC?

Although I would like to see some solid numbers, it's really hard to get accurate ones. I certainly would like to see Sony support Mac/Linux. It seems that letting you just by via web browser would be the easiest way. Not sure what they do to "authorize" a machine, but I assume they just put a hidden license file on the device somewhere... not sure why any type of driver is needed to do that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Mine is on all the time since it displays the time. But the back light is not on all the time. So I do not believe that LCD without back light affect the reading time compared to the CPU consumption which give a standby time of 5 days in for example the Cybook.
Do you think that would still be the case for an LCD screen the size of the Gen3's screen?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #42
Scythe

Quote:
Missing the point. Your LCD needs constant electricity to run (it needs constant power to keep the cells charged). eInk just needs the power on page change for the pushing and popping of pixels (per se).

Take a look at: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/e-ink2.htm

Quote:
E Ink said that in electronic devices, electronic ink would use 50 to 100 times less power than liquid crystal displays because electronic ink only needs power when changing its display. For this same reason, a digital book can display the same text for weeks without any additional charge applied to it.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #43
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you think that would still be the case for an LCD screen the size of the Gen3's screen?
Yes since I believe the power consumption is very low for just maintaining the lcd screen.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:43 AM   #44
Scythe

Quote:
Yes since I believe the power consumption is very low for just maintaining the lcd screen.
An eInk display will stay visually on the screen much longer than the same thing displayed on an LCD -- using the same battery and charge. Read up on how eInk works first and then if you still feel you're right we can continue arguing

You're fighting an uphill battle when comparing the 2 technologies.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #45
tonyofla
Enthusiast
tonyofla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Engadget on the Sony Oct 2nd event
http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/09/s...sh-next-month/
tonyofla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!