Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
SirFluff
SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Touch
More and more Kobo are stopping working

I went on another forum that covers kobo problems and I saw a ton of threads about kobo stop working suddenly, just frozen at a given screen and no possibility at all to reboot the device.

My kobo just died yesterday, I was charging it and BOOM, it won't turn on anymore eventhough the damn thing is less than one year old and was never dropped.

Not one single hard reset as worked, I tried the pin, I tried pusshing home bar and keeping power on button pushed to right, nothing seems to be able to turn it on. When I do that I see the blue light blink a few times. When I plug it in my computer the green light comes on but computer doesn't see my kobo since the unit isn't turning on.
SirFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sorry to hear about your plight. I just hope it's not an increasing trend. Hard to say for sure as there are no statistics released on the matter. I can understand bugs as any device running on upgradable software sooner or later meets bugs but altogether dying is a different story. I hope your guarantee applies.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Did you make sure it was charged?

Good luck.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
SirFluff
SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SirFluff knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

I cannot make sure of anything since I cannot see anything point blank. When I connect the USB cable all I see is the light turn green, the screen doesn't change at all nor does the computer ID's the new connected device. Kobo is showing me the cover page and saying it's powered off. I left it yesterday charging, today too, nothing happens.

I was thinking about removing the back cover and unplugging the battery but I'm not sure how to pry the back cover off. This seems a simple case of the device freezing and needing a reboot but yet again none of the reboot procedure are working.

And as I said, if I hold the home button down, then press the on button for 10 sec, a blue light will blink 3 times, but nothing else will happen, no screen change. Pinhole, no change either. Home+pinhole, no change.

I saw a thread where someone disassembled the kobo touch to repaint it, but he totally forgot to say how he removed the back cover.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144487

Last edited by SirFluff; 11-17-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFluff View Post
I cannot make sure of anything since I cannot see anything point blank. When I connect the USB cable all I see is the light turn green, the screen doesn't change at all nor does the computer ID's the new connected device. Kobo is showing me the cover page and saying it's powered off. I left it yesterday charging, today too, nothing happens.
The question about making sure it was charged is because it is hard to tell the difference between no reaction because the battery is flat and no reaction because the device is broken.

As you have had it on charge for a while, you have to make sure the device is off before trying the reset. Do this by push the power switch over and hold it for 20 seconds. Then try the home button plus switch reset. If that doesn't work, do the power off again. Then while holding the home button down, push something into the reset hole on the back. Keep the home button down until the light starts to flash.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
SirFluff

As I clearly said, I cannot turn it off or on, nothing I do, what ever combination of buttons I would do wouldn't change that. Out of frustration I shook it in my hands and now the light won't even turn on, I presume something is prolly lose inside. But I gota admit I am very disappointed that a unit so recent as that can suddenly just stop working as I have always been careful with it. BUt I have noticed over the months of using it charging problems at times and sudden turning off of the device.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
As long as it's less than one year old you're still under warranty so take advantage of that. What is the screen currently showing? Is it possible you have a broken substrate (typically shows some distortions on the screen)?
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I saw a thread where someone disassembled the kobo touch to repaint it, but he totally forgot to say how he removed the back cover.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144487
Assuming your nails are not too short, then you can open the Touch with your bare hands! Yes, it's that hard...

François
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
As I clearly said, I cannot turn it off or on, nothing I do, what ever combination of buttons I would do wouldn't change that.
If the device is completely frozen, you won't notice the screen change when you power it off. Nevertheless, the fully-charge-then-power-off procedure is what you need to do before attempting a factory reset.

None of what you described doing in your original post was the factory reset procedure, which is why davidfor offered you the correct procedure sequence.

If that doesn't work, I suggest telephoning Kobo Support.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:23 AM   #10
SirFluff

Kobo is going to replace the unit, no other combination of buttons, even the ones suggested here never did anything to change its status.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
SirFluff

Just before having this eventually disappear into the abyss of the forum, I just received my replacement kobo for the dead one. I gota say that this is very impressive, I wasn't really sure if my kobo was 1 year old, I knew it was probably close to 1 year or a lil over 1 year but customer care didn't even ask me to prove the purchased date, they decided to replace it. Very impressive customer service for sure in my "kobo" book.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Nice
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote