Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
Which is best for me?

I've read through many/most of the threads and can't quite find the answers to my questions.
I live in a rural area where broadband is weak or expensive (satellite).. No DSL or Cable.
So, I need something with wifi, that will let me make shopping lists (typed is fine), small enough to toss in my shoulder bag, and then on my shopping trips I can find a hotspot (e.g. library) to download anything I want that's larger than a couple MBs --audiobooks, etc..
Also to pull up email on the few occasions when I travel o-o-t. I thoroughly checked out the Samsung Galaxy 2 Tab (Costco), and while I'm impressed with the device, it's way overkill for my needs. I'm not into gaming or videos. I have my reliable little e-ink device for reading.
So, I'm thinking the Nook Color with N2A should meet all my needs -- factory refurbished runs about $120 & has same as orig. 1 yr warranty. As of now, when I simply must get a large download (such as iTunes), I've taken my laptop to the library. It's NOT convenient.
It was my only computer for about 5 yrs and more than paid for itself, but now I want small and lightweight!
Would the Nook be a reasonable choice? Any better suggestions?

Last edited by Anabana; 08-01-2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: typos
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I have a Nook Color with CM7/9 dual-boot and practically never use it. Screen sensitivity is just awful (at least on CM7/9) and the device is just so slow. It's fun to play with and hack but it's not going to be my first choice if I wanted something that's actually useful.

Even if you were to create the CM7/9 microSD yourself, the value of the Nook Color is already questionable (particularly now that there are plenty of options). If you're buying the N2A card on top of the cost of the NC, (that's what, $35 for 8GB?), I think you're much better off spending extra to get the Nexus 7 which is a much, much, much better device overall. At this point, going with the NC is a case of penny-wise, pound-foolish. No experience with other 7" Android tablets so I don't know what would make for good alternatives to the Nexus 7.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 08-02-2012 at 12:57 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Screen sensitivity makes a big difference for me. I've played with a neighbor's Kindle and it didn't respond well to my slight tremors. Aging is only fun while you're a kid! So, my neighbor said my fingers were 'stuttering',
more than one page turn or it would end up in a different location than I wanted. That was frustrating. Had the same problem with the first Nook I tried out a few years back (not NC) - should have remembered that.

I didn't have that at all with the Galaxy tab - but it seems SO geared to games and videos which is not of interest to me. At least, not on a 7" screen.

OK, considering the length of time that the NC has been out, I understand penny-wise pound-foolish. Perhaps I'll be able to find a Nexus 7 in one of the stores to try out.

You've given me some good points to consider. THANKS!
Old 08-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have had two libra pros before getting my current Kindle three. I know you seem to be pretty happy with the Libra Pros but I was not. I have found that the libra pros were very fragile when compared to my current kindle. If I put the libra pro down too hard or breathed a little to heavy the libra pro would be done for good. The last of the to libra pros was set asside for aproximatly on month and never turned on again. Nevertheless I do not recommend the libra pros.

As far as the tablets go that you are talking about Iwould not bother buying any unless there is something additional that a tablet would do for you that your libra pro would not do. For example running one of the millions of apps availabel for android. Have you looked through a listing of all of the android apps and asekd yourself one critical question - how much are you willing to pay for the ability to run these apps.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabana View Post
Would the Nook be a reasonable choice? Any better suggestions?
A couple of questions:
  • how do you get books onto your current ereader?
  • do you have a home computer - desktop or laptop?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
Anabana
Zealot

Yes, all the ebooks are downloaded to my computer first - I have both desktop and laptop. But any program or updates that are larger than -say- 2-4 Mb, are going to take too long to download and end up with small corruptions. I tried twice to download Calibre at home, no go. Finally had to take my laptop to the library. The laptop is great -but- I really want something I can just toss in my shoulder bag and go.

Internet choices are few - I'm using AT&T mobile and we're right on the edge. I'm lucky if I catch 3 of 5 bars (dBm on a good day is -79, mostly -83, -85) Yes, that's a minus...
Satellite is still too expensive here for me to justify (to myself, anyway).

Yes, it's my choice to live in the 'boonies', but when we bought (probably before most of you were born), who knew that I've ever be enthralled with technology?

My Libre Pro (we have 2, actually) has been anything but fragile. Now that DOES get tossed in the shoulder bag - often without the sleeve. My cat even knocked it off the footstool onto the floor with no damage whatsoever. They aren't pretty! Probably the klunkiest ereader I've seen. But so far, it does exactly what it's supposed to -- carries my books and my music.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I didn't have that at all with the Galaxy tab - but it seems SO geared to games and videos which is not of interest to me. At least, not on a 7" screen.
While it might seem that way, consider the hardware of the Galaxy 2 Tab to be the minimum specifications to get a decent tablet experience. It's not just about games and videos. Android itself requires a bit of muscle for smooth operation and the Nook Color just can't deliver on that. While it may run B&N's customized and simplified version, the same cannot be said of a full Android ROM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
Anabana
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Android itself requires a bit of muscle for smooth operation and the Nook Color just can't deliver on that.
The right tools for the job... It rarely pays to skimp - and often ends up costing more!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I have a Nook Color with CM7 (n2a) and the touch screen is not nearly as nice and responsive as my Kindle Fire.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Maybe try using a stylus for page turning
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:20 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Screen sensitivity makes a big difference for me. I've played with a neighbor's Kindle and it didn't respond well to my slight tremors. Aging is only fun while you're a kid! So, my neighbor said my fingers were 'stuttering',
more than one page turn or it would end up in a different location than I wanted. That was frustrating.
You'd perhaps be better off with the "Basic Kindle", which has page turn buttons rather than a touch screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
Anabana
Zealot

I'll definitely give a stylus a try!

I do appreciate all comments, because even if they don't answer my immediate problem or question, they very often clear up something else for me.
But I don't think the eBook Reader or the 'Basic' Kindle is going to let me download iTunes or PDFCreator, etc., and transfer to my desktop...

My main objective is something small and lightweight to 'mostly' replace my laptop. It seemed so small and lightweight when I bought it 6 or 7 years ago... Now, it's way too big and clunky!!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
I'll definitely give a stylus a try!

I do appreciate all comments, because even if they don't answer my immediate problem or question, they very often clear up something else for me.
But I don't think the eBook Reader or the 'Basic' Kindle is going to let me download iTunes or PDFCreator, etc., and transfer to my desktop...

My main objective is something small and lightweight to 'mostly' replace my laptop. It seemed so small and lightweight when I bought it 6 or 7 years ago... Now, it's way too big and clunky!!
"
You'll be happy with a 7" tablet then...The Nexus 7 seems to be the best one out of the $200 tablets if price is an issue. I use my 10" tablet constantly and just love it! I use my tablet 90% of the time, I barely use my laptop any more, however some things aren't as easily done on a tablet (or can't be done) so I'm not getting rid of it...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
Anabana
Zealot

Briefly reviving this thread to say thanks to all who responded. I ended up buying an off-brand 7" tablet (Elf II) and found a good rom which simplifies it for me. I'm having fun playing with it and 'learning' android. It was only $120 delivered, so figured I could afford to lose that much if it was a mistake! It has dual-core ICS with 1024X600 res and microSD slot. I'm able to read all my books that are scanned to pdf. So it's worth it just for that.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
ashan
Connoisseur
ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: could be Kobo Glo or KPW
Quote:
Briefly reviving this thread to say thanks to all who responded. I ended up buying an off-brand 7" tablet (Elf II) and found a good rom which simplifies it for me. I'm having fun playing with it and 'learning' android. It was only $120 delivered, so figured I could afford to lose that much if it was a mistake! It has dual-core ICS with 1024X600 res and microSD slot. I'm able to read all my books that are scanned to pdf. So it's worth it just for that.
Good call! I don't know if it was a researched purchase but this...coughing...ahem..."ainol" branded tablets have a lot of support on forums like xda or even dedicated ones.
ashan is offline   Reply With Quote