Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 04:24 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Favorite iOS 5 Features

The two features I was looking forward to are:

Quote:
Wi-Fi Sync -- Wirelessly sync your iOS device to your Mac or PC over a shared Wi-Fi connection. Every time you connect your iOS device to a power source (say, overnight for charging), it automatically syncs and backs up any new content to iTunes. So you always have your movies, TV shows, home videos, and photo albums everywhere you want them.

PC Free -- Independence for all iOS devices. With iOS 5, you no longer need a computer to own an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. Activate and set up your device wirelessly, right out of the box. Download free iOS software updates directly on your device. Do more with your apps — like editing your photos or adding new email folders — on your device, without the need for a Mac or PC. And back up and restore your device automatically using iCloud.
Finally free from that stupid, cheaply made cable. Now I can sync my touch from my speaker docks. The rest of the new features are no big deal.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Yeah I agree. I had to use my daughter's computer to do this before. I have an iPod Classic too, and I'll have to update that off her computer, but if I'm right, and maybe you can answer this, if I order music on my iPad, will it automatically show up on iTunes on her computer, and then synch to my iPod Classic when I hook it up?
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
Yeah I agree. I had to use my daughter's computer to do this before. I have an iPod Classic too, and I'll have to update that off her computer, but if I'm right, and maybe you can answer this, if I order music on my iPad, will it automatically show up on iTunes on her computer, and then synch to my iPod Classic when I hook it up?
As long as all of the devices involved are registered to the same iTunes account, I bet it will.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
As long as all of the devices involved are registered to the same iTunes account, I bet it will.
The option still needs to be enabled in Preferences. I don't think it's the default behavior. Other than that, yes, downloads should propagate among all devices linked to the iTunes account. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there's a 10-device maximum for synced downloads, though. I'm not sure.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Agree! Hate iTunes with all my heart. I always said setting up an iPad with a USB cable and a computer was "old fashion" stuff, even though I barely sync it.

The feature I like most so far is the Safari tabs. I don't use my iPad for content creation but reading full color Magazines and PDFs, things that I can't do with my Kindle very well, and browsing the Internet. Now changing pages via tab is fast and easy.

However, sync music won't be so easy for me, not under current conditions. Because price, selection and other factors, I prefer Amazon. So I believe uploading or sync music via iCloud will eat lot of space because those were purchased elsewhere. That's why I paid for Amazon prime instead, unlimited space for songs!

Here's how I sync my songs at this moment.

-iTunes on Mac air
-Music folder on iTunes mapped to a Samba/Linux Share
-Linux server holds all the music
-USB external HD connected to Samba/Linux server
-Cron job sync automatically from Server to external HD, daily

What I will add or change

As extra precaution and giving the case I'm Amazon Prime member, I will upload all my music collection to Amazon cloud. So I will have my songs on 3 places: Samba/Linux server, external HD drive and Amazon cloud.

Yeah, a bit paranoid, I know, but I lost my whole music collection long time ago. I promised myself won't happen again. Now the music collection is bigger, because my wife and I are mixed.

I also believe pictures and songs, besides family and pets, are the only things you should rescue or keep in a disaster or natural event, lol ... I don't care about any material thing at all, as long as my family and pets are safe, same for family pictures and songs.

Last edited by jocampo; 10-13-2011 at 11:29 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just discovered that the keyboard docks, undocks and splits. Really nice. Just keep pressing the keyboard icon and you'll see the options. it's a bit odd at the beginning but way more comfortable. Really cool idea.

I just type this with keyboard divided ...
Old 10-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The two features I was looking forward to are:

Finally free from that stupid, cheaply made cable. Now I can sync my touch from my speaker docks. The rest of the new features are no big deal.
I didn't mind the cable all that much-until I packed my laptop for moving and lost access to my laptop for downloading and syncing. I ended up having to buy and download the Downcast app. to sync my podcasts.
Looking forward to wireless syncing, but probably will stay with Downcast for my podcasts.
The cable is great for fast recharging, though. Are the iDevice docks any better?
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
One synching problem I discovered. You can also enable wifi backup to your desktop. I figured why not -- it's one more backup in case of failure.

The "why not" is that it insists iTunes remain open, or it reopens it every ten minutes.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Siri is actually surprisingly well done-it even has a sense of humor. Still not sure if I'll get used to using it regularly after playing with it, but it really does work well.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
Diane B
Diane B began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch, Ipad
I like the little things--tabs in Safari, Reader, reading list, being able to make new albums in Photos, discovering I can upload processed photo from Lightroom into Photostream, then from there into one of the new albums on Ipad. Nice Imessaging also. I don't text on phone but it was nice messaging with friends on Ipad.
Diane B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Havent explored IOS5 a lot yet, but I like the assistive gestures.
Esp Home and Dbl Click Home. Makes multitasking less painful.

Its a start and there's lots of scope for improvement. Building on this could be the next major selling point.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
Havent explored IOS5 a lot yet, but I like the assistive gestures.
Esp Home and Dbl Click Home. Makes multitasking less painful.
How is the Home and Dbl-Click Home different from how it is in iOS4? Had a chance to play with iOS5 on my brother's iPhone and it seems to work very similarly aside from the Long Press Home for Siri.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
Makes multitasking less painful.
I did not know iOS was mutitasking ...

I mean, as far as I know, when moving between apps, the process is closed. It does not remain active on RAM. One of the reason why battery life is so good.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I did not know iOS was mutitasking ...

I mean, as far as I know, when moving between apps, the process is closed. It does not remain active on RAM. One of the reason why battery life is so good.
Underclocking is another way to improve battery life
Old 10-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
How is the Home and Dbl-Click Home different from how it is in iOS4? Had a chance to play with iOS5 on my brother's iPhone and it seems to work very similarly aside from the Long Press Home for Siri.
I meant the Home and DblClick Home Gesture Icons, accessible after activating Assistive Gestures feature.
This allows me to avoid using the Home button most of the times.

Its not as good as Activator jailbreak utility, but still quite good.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote