Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
MrsPartridge
MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.MrsPartridge turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Sony 650
Are free books good quality?

Aside from the classics that are available for free, do you find the freebies offered on Kindle/Kobo/Sony etc. sites worth reading?

I was sure that most would be sort of below average - like reading a high schooler's attempt at fiction writing and no decent editing that you can get from a publishing house. However I'm really enjoying the freebie I got on the Sony site called "Romeo Romeo" by Robin Kaye.

Are you happy with the free books offered?
MrsPartridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Mrs.Partridge.

The free books available here are of excellent quality, formatted by our own members.

I would always check here for PD books before going elsewhere.

If you are acquainted with Robin Kaye, you might let her know we have a wonderful Writers Corner here also, with related threads.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
It all depends on the source. Most books fall into the same as their written counterpart, and I think especially now with the ability to submit your own books, there is a better chance at poor writing, but only slightly more than the classics that are past copyright and free as well.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
It varies greatly. Some of the freebies offered on those sites are regularly published books that are free for a limited time. I believe it's the same quality as the other books from the same publisher. Some freebies are pretty crappy in terms of formatting and editing (or lack thereof).
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I've gotten several excellent books free from Amazon. Some were the first book in a well-known series. The vast majority of the ones I've seen lately are not of interest to me, and are either romance, Christian-themed, or independent publishers where the book sounds like one cliche after another and/or otherwise badly written. Other people love all the offerings. I find that few are things I'd be interested in. It depends on what you find interesting, I guess. I've gotten far more good ones free from Baen, over the years.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness
Girl Read Write began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Samsung Infuse
Most of the "ebook only" freebies that I've attempted to read aren't very well written at all. But that doesn't surprise me, as our electronic publishing age allows people to write whatever and publish it with very little quality control.

I would say that the electronic versions of previously in-print books are better in quality, but I see just as many typos and mistakes in those.

It's just hard to say.
Girl Read Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
I have found a few of the freebies that were pretty good.

I am very picky with the Free Books. I have read a number of them that I got a few chapters into the book and tossed it for various reasons.
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Results vary. The Amazon Kindle offerings are often good, depending on whether or not your a fan of the genres frequently offered. As mentioned, lots of romance and Christian fiction. I'm a fan of the first but rarely read the latter. Often a book is a freebie because they want to promote the author's newest work and will, for example, give away the first book in a series or something from the backlist. It's helpful to become familiar with the names of certain publishers because the summary alone (when there is one) isn't always enough to tell you what you're getting. Certain publishers I will grab every time, others I generally pass over.

Smashwords freebies can be a crapshoot, but that's true for some of the non-free content as well. I do like the site, and I support it because I want it to flourish as a self-publishing platform, but the nature of such a platform guarantees that quality will vary. Fortunately, because of their distribution channels, you can often find reviews for at least the same author on Amazon or another site, if not the actual book you're thinking of downloading. My biggest beef with them is that the epub versions are usually great but sometimes the other formats are missing most of the metadata.

Barnes & Noble can be frustrating because you often don't know what you are getting. You will find that many of the freebie reviews on B&N are people upset because it wasn't made clear that an item was only a first chapter preview or something similar. It's especially confusing because there's often a "sample" button available for an item that turns out to only be, say, 20 pages long in it's entirety. You can't go by file size because sometimes that number is mostly the cover image. But then, Amazon sometimes has the same problem so it's not strictly a B&N issue.

Baen's offerings are exceptional if you're a fan of the genres there, which I am. I can't say enough good things about them.

The MR Library has an excellent selection of quality ebooks. This is probably the only site where I can pretty much guarantee there won't be any horrible formatting issues. The offerings here are top notch.

Sometimes it really just comes down to whether or not the offerings at any site are in one of your preferred genres.

Feedbooks has some really good free stuff, both classics and originals. I've gotten quality stuff there in a variety of genres.

Project Gutenberg is an excellent resource, but try to find it here at MR first if you want better formatting. However, I do not mean to denigrate PG in any way because they provide an amazing service. "Pretty formatting" was never the goal. The goal is to basically duplicate the original text, and changes are only made if it can be agreed that something was a printing error, and not something intended by the author.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I generally read mostly the freebies. I like finding that hidden gem amongst the losers.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Results vary. The Amazon Kindle offerings are often good, depending on whether or not your a fan of the genres frequently offered.
This. When I bought my Kindle, it was because I had been reading PD and Baen books on my telephone and wanted a bigger screen. Then I got sucked in by the free, 99 cents, $1.99 and $2.99 specials that Amazon offered (and still offers) and here I am today.

I follow Books on the Knob and the freebie forum here on MR religiously.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #11
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Not for the stuff I prefer to read -- history and other nonfiction that requires considerable research and expertise. I like classics as well, but they're free only because copyright has expired.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPartridge View Post
Aside from the classics that are available for free, do you find the freebies offered on Kindle/Kobo/Sony etc. sites worth reading?

I was sure that most would be sort of below average - like reading a high schooler's attempt at fiction writing and no decent editing that you can get from a publishing house. However I'm really enjoying the freebie I got on the Sony site called "Romeo Romeo" by Robin Kaye.

Are you happy with the free books offered?
I don't read the self-published freebies. But there are good books from major publishers that are free for a limited time. As was mentioned, they seem to be heavy on Christian themes and romance, but I've found some mysteries and historical fiction, which are more to my taste.

I figure if the synopsis sounds interesting, I might as well download the book while it's free. If I decide it's dreck after a few pages, I can just delete it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #13
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Self-published freebies have one advantage: they are free.

So simply download them, read a few lines and delete them if you don't like them. It's about the same amount of time you'd spend in a bookstore trying to find something worthy to read (and buy).

Generally they will lack editing, granted. On the other hand you're getting a non-streamlined work and discover the (literally) raw potential of the author.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #14
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Freebies are my top way of finding new authors right now.

I read science fiction and fantasy and find new free ebooks from Baen Books, Kindle and other places. Many I find in the forums here.

I have found some great new authors and gone on to buy additional ebooks from these authors.

Yes, I do find some poor ones, but I just delete them after a few chapters if they don't grab me. And I have had that same problem with paid books in the past. With free ones, there is no risk.

I also do like that I can read some chapters of books online before I buy as well. Great way to try the book before I buy.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:48 AM   #15
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
MrsPartridge, it's only a few weeks until Read an eBook Week!

There will be many free offerings that week. Last year I found a short story I liked very much by a new-to-me author named Russell Atwood. I looked him up and found that he has written two novels. If it weren't for the free short story, I wouldn't have known about him.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free books