Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #31
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Keep in mind that it is not a simple "execute the software" type of procedure. There is a lot of work involved. Many of us have done and still do this regularly so ask if you have questions.
I can't emphasize this enough. That's largely why I paid someone else to do the bulk of the work (scanning) and I also had a professional proofreader go over the text.

The Workshop forum is full of great advice. I have a second book I'm going to OCR (an old research book that is long out of print) and I plan to go to that forum for help first.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #32
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
I found the author's website and send her an email asking that she suggest to her agent/publisher that "The Time Traveler's Wife" be made available as an ebook that we can buy. I await any response to this.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #33
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I finished this book over the weekend. It picked up about 1/4 way thru, and then I couldn't put it down. But it made me sad and is still sort of haunting me.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I finished this book over the weekend. It picked up about 1/4 way thru, and then I couldn't put it down. But it made me sad and is still sort of haunting me.
I recently saw a trailer for a move based on this book. It has been on my to-read list for a while.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #35
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
But it made me sad and is still sort of haunting me.
Indeed, a sad story.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #36
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Definitely a sad story but it ended with a ray of possible hope. I found THT one of the most moving books I've ever read.

I'm glad I didn't read it during the conservative era when it was written.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #37
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
but it ended with a ray of possible hope.
Such as? (use spoiler tag please )
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #38
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

I'll PM you, astra.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:35 AM   #39
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
The synopsis on IMDB makes this sound like a TV show that I used to watch about a bloke who would travel in time but had no control over it. He always travelled to a place that required help (similar to Quantum Leap except he was always himself).
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #40
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
The synopsis on IMDB makes this sound like a TV show that I used to watch about a bloke who would travel in time but had no control over it. He always travelled to a place that required help (similar to Quantum Leap except he was always himself).
We had "Journeyman" with Kevin McKidd, now on "Grey's Anatomy." Was it cribbed from a British show, as so many are lately? (I'm dreading this fall's "The Prisoner" remake.)

Journeyman started out well, with an interesting twist on lost love, but quickly fell into too many syfy tropes.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #41
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, in an above message I mentioned that I emailed the author. I'm gobsmacked by her response I deleted my email details etc from the following and have put them in the correct order (mine first):

To: Niffenegger, Audrey
Subject: ebooks: selling your books in e-formats?

Hi,

I'm a member of the MobileRead forum which is for those of us who prefer to read books in e-format. As yet, there is no legal way to purchase "The Time Traveler's Wife" in ebook format. Perhaps you could suggest to your agent/publisher that it be made available in various e formats for those of us who love our kindles, Sony ereaders, mobi's etc.

Just a suggestion,

Catherine

Dear Catherine,

I'm sorry, but I've devoted my life to physical books (I helped found the Columbia College Center for Book and Paper Arts) and e-books = dematerialised books. E-books imperil book design, typography, and other art forms that I care about. E-books are also not helpful to bookstores, and I love bookstores. So even though I understand that many people prefer e-books, I am not planning to issue my books in that form if I can avoid it. If that means I sell fewer books, so be it.

Thank you for your interest in my work, and for taking the time to write to me.

Regards,
Audrey Niffenegger
Old 08-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #42
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
wow, that is a sadly short-sighted and narrow-minded view. how very disappointing. even more so because it's quite misguided. i had been following this thread with some interest but suddenly i feel much less tempted to read this book...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #43
BookCat
C L J

This is her contact address, it's on her website. Maybe others can be bothered to put her right. I'm so horrified, I wouldn't know where to start.
aniffenegger@colum.edu
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Given the author's response, I won't be reading her book nor will I be seeing the movie. Her loss, not mine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #45
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
wow, that is a sadly short-sighted and narrow-minded view. how very disappointing. even more so because it's quite misguided. i had been following this thread with some interest but suddenly i feel much less tempted to read this book...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given the author's response, I won't be reading her book nor will I be seeing the movie. Her loss, not mine.
I agree with you guys.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote