Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-23-2009, 11:18 AM   #16
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
There actually was a free version a while back; I'm thinking for one of the read an ebook weeks or something. But no longer available, that I know of.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #17
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I had it on my reader, so started reading it yesterday after seeing the commercial for the movie. I either got it from bookviewcafe or else Niffeneggers' website. I sort of think it was free or very inexpensive, because I haven't paid for a book in a long time now.

Glancing at it, I wondered if it would work out OK on the 505. It is broken into parts, first he speaks, then she speaks, plus other stuff. There is a lot of poetry at the beginings of chapters which doesn't come across great, but is readable. Otherwise, it seems to have sorted itself out to read fairly easily in landscape mode on my 505.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I had it on my reader, so started reading it yesterday after seeing the commercial for the movie. I either got it from bookviewcafe or else Niffeneggers' website. I sort of think it was free or very inexpensive, because I haven't paid for a book in a long time now.
I looked both places and didn't see it. I also sent an email and begged for the ebook.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #19
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I have the physical book and the PDF, dated from March of this year (with a lot of others, which puts it about read an ebook week), but I don't know where it was posted. It looks like a pre-publication proof. There are a few typos, no ISBN issued yet (so not a scan of the published book) and the notes at the end say it is a spell-checked, but not proofread copy.

You've motivated, though, to actually convert it for my Kindle - maybe I'll put the paper copy in the sell pile.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #20
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
Have you tried just googling it? I stumbled upon a blogsite where someone had a copy and wanted to "share it"...so if that guy has a copy, surely there are more out there right? If not, I think this is one book I may have to just get the pbook if I can't find it... It sound so good!!
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #21
Reporter15
Author
Reporter15 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I loved this book so much I OCR'd a paper copy.

I want to do this sooooo badly with some of my paperback books that are not available in ebook format yet.

Would you be able to explain HOW to do this so the book ends up looking good on an ereader and being combined into one file, etc. Please, please help me. I'm sooooooooo confused.

Thank you!!!

Lynn
Reporter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #22
constroy
constroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: PRS-505 Blue, nexus 7, Kindle PW2
Not sure if this is the one you need but I ran across a free PDF version of Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife. Same as the 2009 movie??? I'm sure it must be the pdf koland mentioned. Here's the link if you want to check it out.

[url to illegal ebook - deleted by Moderator]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-25-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: site deleted - Don [Moderator]
constroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #23
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
According to the author, there is no legal ebook edition.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #24
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
MobileRead is not a site for illegal ebook uploads. I must respectfully ask all members (and visitors) to refrain from linking to an illegal book/site address.

Thank you,
Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #25
constroy
constroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than momconstroy loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: PRS-505 Blue, nexus 7, Kindle PW2
My bad!! Sorry I had no idea it was not legal. I just googled the name and it came up with that site.. I respectfully apologize to everyone........ :-(
constroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:23 AM   #26
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reporter15 View Post
I want to do this sooooo badly with some of my paperback books that are not available in ebook format yet.

Would you be able to explain HOW to do this so the book ends up looking good on an ereader and being combined into one file, etc. Please, please help me. I'm sooooooooo confused.

Thank you!!!

Lynn
I had an admin assistant scan the book using the OCR software that came with the scanner at my company. Give me a few days; I'll ask him for details.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:09 AM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by constroy View Post
My bad!! Sorry I had no idea it was not legal. I just googled the name and it came up with that site.. I respectfully apologize to everyone........ :-(

No problem and no harm done. Sometimes, it's just a matter of letting people know.

I can certainly understand somoene's desire for wanting certain ebooks and certain writers. Personally, I'm waiting patiently for Pynchon and Vollmann's back catalog to become available, along with Nobel Prize winners Claude Simon and J.M.G. LeClezio, in addition to the postmodernist writer Gilbert Sorrentino ("Mulligan Stew," "Misterioso," "Rose Theatre, and "Aberration of Starlight," among others.)

So right now, I'm reading some pleasurable (and harmless) genre fiction dealing with zombies, dead animals of the feline variety, flying carpets with smashed faces, and face lifts (taken from the Living). [Ouch!]

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #28
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
So right now, I'm reading some pleasurable (and harmless) genre fiction dealing with zombies, dead animals of the feline variety, flying carpets with smashed faces, and face lifts (taken from the Living). [Ouch!]
I demand titles and authors. Must add to my wishlist!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #29
Reporter15
Author
Reporter15 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I had an admin assistant scan the book using the OCR software that came with the scanner at my company. Give me a few days; I'll ask him for details.
Thank you soooooo much. I've honestly been TRYING to figure out WHAT to do for a month now. I'm usually very computer literate. I'm just lost on how to do this and make it look good. I desperately want to take a few series of books I have on my shelf that I just don't want to read in DTB form. I love my Kindle!

Thank you sooooooooooooooooo soooooooooooooooooo much. I'll keep checking back for a response from you.

Lynn
Reporter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #30
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reporter15 View Post
Thank you soooooo much. I've honestly been TRYING to figure out WHAT to do for a month now. I'm usually very computer literate. I'm just lost on how to do this and make it look good. I desperately want to take a few series of books I have on my shelf that I just don't want to read in DTB form. I love my Kindle!

Thank you sooooooooooooooooo soooooooooooooooooo much. I'll keep checking back for a response from you.

Lynn
You might also want to check out our Digitizing_Paper_Books_to_Ebooks instructions in the MR WIKI here.

I personally prefer the ABBYY Finereader OCR software but have also tried the OmniPage software which is OK.

Keep in mind that it is not a simple "execute the software" type of procedure. There is a lot of work involved. Many of us have done and still do this regularly so ask if you have questions.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote