Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #1
dd53grif
dd53grif began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8 (7th generation)
Error Communicating With Device

When I attach my Kindle Fire HD8 (7th Generation) to Calibre, after about 3 min of Job - Get List of Books on Device - I get a pop up box, "Error Communicating With Device". Clip Board info follows:

calibre, version 3.9.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 510, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 218, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 190, in get_driveinfo
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 180, in _update_drive_info
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 151, in put_calibre_file
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 37, in check_thread
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 441, in put_file
WPDError: Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error

Upgraded to Calibre 3.9 and got the same results. Using Calibre on a Windows 7 laptop. Calibre library has 4463 books in it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dennis Griffin
dd53grif@charter.net
dd53grif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:07 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is an error communicating with the device. Usually, this kind of error can be fixed by
following the steps below in sequence. First:

1) Try rebooting both the device and your computer
2) If that does not work, find the files driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre on the device
and delete them (you can use Windows Explorer or a file manager on the device itself to do this)
3) Reset the device

If none of those work, you can use one of the wireless communication methods described here:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
prefdavid
prefdavid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Getting what seems to be the same problem.

Have deleted the files from the device and rebooted both the Kindle and the Computer but whilst it takes a bit longer get the following error. Windows 10 Laptop, 64 bit. Calibre Library with 1228 books

Any more suggestions would be much appreciated.

calibre, version 3.13.0

Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error

File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 218, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 190, in get_driveinfo
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 180, in _update_drive_info
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 151, in put_calibre_file
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 37, in check_thread
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 441, in put_file
WPDError: Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error
prefdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
CapnDirk
CapnDirk began at the beginning.

Device: Pro12 CT9223W97
Having the same issue, receiving error code after a half hour or more of "1 job". Original data was transferred from the desktop to Pro12 main storage (14,000 epubs) Caibre proceeds to process the on-board library, then stops with error codes:

calibre, version 3.15.0

File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 285, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 308, in write_metadata_cache
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\book\json_codec.p y", line 134, in encode_to_file
File "json\__init__.py", line 251, in dumps
File "json\encoder.py", line 209, in encode
MemoryError

Deleted driveinfo.calibre, but no metadata.calibre found on the device. Rebooted both devices, and it seemed that there was a longer processing time before error.
Also, Calibre 3.15 has been shutting down by itself when ticking an action button, as well as when closing the error box.
CapnDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a memory error encoding the metadata cache file. Pretty much the only way around that is to run the 64bit version of calibre one a computer with lots of RAM.

And see https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...s-occasionally
Old 01-07-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
CapnDirk
CapnDirk began at the beginning.

Device: Pro12 CT9223W97
Thank you for the help. There were some other anomalies happening before I bought this tablet that I was reminded of from reading the link you provided. I was getting set-point errors and restarts in that, and suddenly had an issue where downloads simply were erased after completing. Ultimately, I found that Mal-warebytes had updated and everything went wrong from there. I uninstalled it, and things went back to normal.
I'll try the 64-bit Calibre and see if that covers it, although there is only 4GB
CapnDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:06 AM   #7
prefdavid

Bit disappointed that despite posting about this problem on 10th December (post 3 above) there's been no response yet a later poster has received some advice.

To add some further information I have no problems with my old original Kindle (with the keyboard) but do get this error when connected to my wife's kindle Fire Tablet. I can still send books to her tablet but can't see what's on her device nor send the My Books catalogue.

Some advice/suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Since you posted the exact same error as the original poster, the advice I gave to them applies to you as well.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #9
prefdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Since you posted the exact same error as the original poster, the advice I gave to them applies to you as well.
I understand it's apparently the same error but as I'd followed your suggestions and still have the problem, I was hoping for some further advice as doing what you suggest hasn't resolved the problem.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:05 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That is all the advice there is.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:40 PM   #11
ralphjab
ralphjab began at the beginning.

Device: none
File transfer error

I'm using the Calibre 64 bit version and when I attempt to transfer a file from my laptop to my Kindle I get the following error msg. When stands out to me is that a "u" precedes the Kindle's Assigned drive letter "H:" which I believe is the source of the transfer problem.......HOW DO I OVERCOME THIS ISSUE???

[Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: u'H:\\documents\\Willmott, H. P'

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 90, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 594, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 324, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 998, in create_upload_path
File "os.py", line 157, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: u'H:\\documents\\Willmott, H. P'
ralphjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:39 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, the u is just how python represents unicode strings. Does that path actuall exist? H:\documents\Wilmott, H.P.

Most likely you just need to reformat the kindle drive.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:55 AM   #13
jay-L
jay-L began at the beginning.

Device: android
Hey all. I solved the problem of getting an "error communicating" between Calibre and my Android Tablet (Lenovo P11 Pro).

I just turned on USB debugging mode (turn of developer mode). Looks like I haven't seen the issue since then!
jay-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 12:24 PM   #14
SteveG23
SteveG23 began at the beginning.

Device: iPaq - MS Reader
I thought I had already posted this but am not seeing it here.

I have been using Calibre 64-bit for years, and on this Windows 10 (64) PC, with this smartphone (LG Velvet) for at least a year. Just as of this week I am getting "unable to communicate with device" when it tries to update the file index on the device. The primary error message is:

:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_en umeration.cpp:336:Failed to EnumObjects() of folder from device:[hr=0x80042009 wCode=7689] IDispatch error #7689: o708

File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 512, in _books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 220, in books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 192, in get_driveinfo
File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 272, in filesystem_cache
wpd.WPDError: C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_e numeration.cpp:336:Failed to EnumObjects() of folder from device:[hr=0x80042009 wCode=7689] IDispatch error #7689: o708

Calibre definitely sees the device as connected, and Windows is able to read its directory. As far as I know nothing has changed at this end. Windows and Calibre are both completely up to date. I have tried rebooting, deleting the driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre files, and turning on USB debugging. Now what?
SteveG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 03:03 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG23 View Post
I thought I had already posted this but am not seeing it here.
Because you didn't post it in this thread, you posted in this thread ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291202

If you click on a user name in the left panel you get an option to list other posts by that user.

Hmmm - I can see three threads with the same title on the first page of this sub-forum's index.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-08-2022 at 03:07 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote