Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
When did the 900 come out?

When did this happen? I just bought my 600 like 3 months ago, and now I'm kicking myself after reading about how great the 900 is, especially the screen quality. Oh well. I'm not buying it, and I'm really going to try and hold out from buying another e-reader for at least a full year. By then something better will be probably be out, anyways.
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin View Post
When did this happen? I just bought my 600 like 3 months ago, and now I'm kicking myself after reading about how great the 900 is, especially the screen quality. Oh well. I'm not buying it, and I'm really going to try and hold out from buying another e-reader for at least a full year. By then something better will be probably be out, anyways.
I've ordered Sony 900 as soon as it was available for pre-order and got mine 2 days ago (has been delivered from the US to Germany, so that's another week). Sony 300, 600 and 900 have been announced in a single press conference. I'd have to check the article here on mobileread. But I guess, this has been about 5 months ago.

But you don't have to be frustrated. Having experimented with Sony 900 for the last 2 days, I clearly can say:
Yes, contrast of Sony 900 is slightly better than Sony 600's. Less glare as well.
But it's not a huge difference, certainly not a quantum leap. And I've been fine with my Sony 600 (even has been a very positive surprise) and I'm pretty sure you're fine with yours as well.
A friend of mine was using Sony 700 (2 months ago replaced by Sony 600). Every time when seeing my Sony 505, he's been frustrated for a brief moment. But as soon as he started reading again on his Sony 700, everything was fine again.
Don't compare your reader to others. Just decide, whether yours is fine for your needs or not.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
The 900 started shipping the week of Christmas (the 22nd, specifically). Sony didn't really push the 900 all that much, which isn't too surprising for the price and the lack of newspapers at the moment. I'm mostly digging the larger screen, faster refreshes over my 505, scribbling, better ePub formatting, and the ability to organize periodicals better. And now that Sony is using ePub, the 3G is actually getting some use out of me.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yeah, I like my 600, but I wish I knew about the 900 before I purchased it, though I noticed the 900 is a bit pricier.
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote