Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Improved M-Edge Executive Jacket for PRS 505

The new, improved line of M-edge Genuine Leather Excecutive Jackets for the PRS 505 are out now, and available on Amazon.com! They look really nice & sleek, like the Kindle 2 ones. I just bought one in Marbled Grey w/Black trim! I'll let you know what I think when it arrives. I'm hoping this will last MUCH better than my poor, broken tri-fold cover... Sony, get a clue!

Link to the covers on Amazon

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The only issue is the e-luminator is not yet out so you cannot get them together yet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I would not buy one of these for my PRS-505 because they use corner straps to hold the reader in the cover instead of using the mounting points provided.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I would not buy one of these for my PRS-505 because they use corner straps to hold the reader in the cover instead of using the mounting points provided.
Please excuse my ignorance... why is this bad?

I love my current cover with light built-in but I'm now looking for a new cover that I can put it in while I travel.

Some protection and screen cover that stays in place is what I want.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I agree with notsure. Why is this bad? Both of the PRS 505 covers I currently have are completely useless to me because the clip for the mounting points provided broke off. Several people have these M-edge covers with the corner straps, and say they hold the reader very securely. The only other option was going to be the Oberon leather covers, but it seems the only option *THEY* are providing is velcro!

This is the best solution I've seen so far, unless someone comes up with an improved, unbreakable clip for the current mounting points.

Sayhello
Advert
Old 05-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I strongly dislike covers that use corner straps to hold the reader. I believe Sony's original design is a lot more comfortable. It was even better om PRS-500 but I can see benefits of a 505 over 500. Would not buy M-Edge.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
Kirari
Obsessed
Kirari has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kirari has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kirari has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Red Sony PRS-505
Nooooo!!! they won't ship international

I would KILL for the purple one. Must find a way to get my hands on one!!
Kirari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
The M edge web site will ship internationally but we just have to wait till they have them on their web page (they told me may 8 - but apparently not). The shipping is pretty expensive so I am waiting for the new covers to be listed so I can buy a leisure jacket as well. I think it was only about $2 extra shipping to add another cover. Then I want the light that will be released for the 505 cover but they dont have a date on that yet. So I have to wait until the covers are listed on the M egde page and then decide if I want to wait longer for the light.

Seems like I am in for a wait <g>

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Kirari
Obsessed
Kirari has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kirari has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kirari has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinter View Post
The M edge web site will ship internationally but we just have to wait till they have them on their web page (they told me may 8 - but apparently not). The shipping is pretty expensive so I am waiting for the new covers to be listed so I can buy a leisure jacket as well. I think it was only about $2 extra shipping to add another cover. Then I want the light that will be released for the 505 cover but they dont have a date on that yet. So I have to wait until the covers are listed on the M egde page and then decide if I want to wait longer for the light.

Seems like I am in for a wait <g>

Natalie
I fail at the waiting game

But I will wait nevertheless! And that sounds like a good plan.

PS. Cute puppy!
Old 05-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirari View Post

PS. Cute puppy!
Me too. I hate waiting. Hey, if we get a few Aussies that want them then we could do a bulk order and save on postage. I know that it was about $29 US shipping for one and about $31 US shipping for 2 and it would not cost any more than $3 to post through Australia. Hmmm..food for thought isnt it. If you want to start a new thread with that on there and we can go from there as it would leave more money for books.

Natalie
p.s yes he is cute isnt he!
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #11
Kirari
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinter View Post
Me too. I hate waiting. Hey, if we get a few Aussies that want them then we could do a bulk order and save on postage. I know that it was about $29 US shipping for one and about $31 US shipping for 2 and it would not cost any more than $3 to post through Australia. Hmmm..food for thought isnt it. If you want to start a new thread with that on there and we can go from there as it would leave more money for books.

Natalie
p.s yes he is cute isnt he!
That's a GREAT idea, anything to save money I am all in for
Old 05-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #12
makincheez
makincheez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirari View Post

PS. Cute puppy!
I couldn't wait either. That's why when nwinter mentioned a few weeks ago that the new covers were coming out soon I went ahead and ordered one of the "old" mocha covers anyway. I love it

As for the corner strap attachment method , I wasn't too sure about it either at first. I needn't have been concerned; it works just fine and is very secure. The strap closure is just a friction fit into the slot but it too is quite secure. I'm sure you will love them
makincheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I have the old model cover, and I love the corner straps. With all the tales of the Sony holders breaking, I never felt secure carrying my Reader in my purse, and that's why I bought the darned thing. The M-Edge feels much more secure and protective, and certainly better than Oberon's Velcro option (what are they thinking!) I might use Velcro if a case I loved broke and I was too cheap to buy an new one, but I wouldn't *buy* a case that attaches with Velcro.

The M-Edge smells good, too (at least to me. I love that leather smell).
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #14
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I strongly dislike covers that use corner straps to hold the reader. I believe Sony's original design is a lot more comfortable. It was even better om PRS-500 but I can see benefits of a 505 over 500. Would not buy M-Edge.
Agree with this. The Sony stock cover does the job and is great for one-handed reading. (The 500 cover is as well.) This cover looks quite bulky, and the corner straps look kludgy. I strongly prefer Sony's minimalist and more functional design. I've been dragging mine everywhere for about 1.5 years now, and the cover is holding up just fine.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #15
sayhello
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Agree with this. The Sony stock cover does the job and is great for one-handed reading. (The 500 cover is as well.) This cover looks quite bulky, and the corner straps look kludgy. I strongly prefer Sony's minimalist and more functional design. I've been dragging mine everywhere for about 1.5 years now, and the cover is holding up just fine.
Good for you. You are very lucky.

Sayhello