Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-15-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Why you should read War and Peace on your phone

Why you should read War and Peace on your phone

Quote:
It's a cliché that Tolstoy's War and Peace is a difficult book. At over a thousand pages and half a million words, it's physically imposing.

"I would go to the bookstore and pick up something like War and Peace and I would go, well this is really really heavy and it's the size of a door stop. If I get this I'll sit at home and read it a little bit but I won't be able to carry it around with me. And if I can't carry it around with me, I'm not going to read it."

That was the view of Clive Thompson, a tech journalist and author.
While he eventually found it possible to read the tome, Clive still longed for certain aspects of traditional books. "Everything is trying to drive me away from this book. I mean, a paper book is so much superior aesthetically."

"Sometimes I still wish, I feel like, maybe there's something that will eventually emerge technologically that will give electronic books something closer to the wonderful, gorgeous ergonomics and haptics of paper books. Each of them also has something that the other lacks."
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Clive Thompson is an idiot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think he should try on a real eReader as opposed to a phone.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Clive Thompson is an idiot.
I don't often do it, but I agree with the Wolf here.

If I understood the article correctly, it essentially said "digital books enabled me to read a book that is otherwise too bulky and cumbersome in a paper format. It's just a shame the book wasn't in a paper format."
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't often do it, but I agree with the Wolf here.

If I understood the article correctly, it essentially said "digital books enabled me to read a book that is otherwise too bulky and cumbersome in a paper format. It's just a shame the book wasn't in a paper format."
Mobileread may crash since I am agreeing with you and the Wolf.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Oh great. Now I'm going to be looking around all day for more signs of the Apocalypse... :-P

I agree with PeterT. This guy should try reading on an actual eReader.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Can you always drive a truck through the holes in Clive’s logic?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:17 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Can you always drive a truck through the holes in Clive’s logic?
You can drive the Starship Enterprise through his illogic.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It's worse than that. He also wrote:
"Sometimes I still wish, I feel like, maybe there's something that will eventually emerge technologically that will give electronic books something closer to the wonderful, gorgeous ergonomics and haptics of paper books."

How can something "too bulky and cumbersome" have "wonderful, gorgeous ergonomics"?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It's worse than that. He also wrote:
"Sometimes I still wish, I feel like, maybe there's something that will eventually emerge technologically that will give electronic books something closer to the wonderful, gorgeous ergonomics and haptics of paper books."
My thought was "It's called an e-reader, stupid!" (I wasn't in a generous mood as I read his poorly thought-out post.)

I think what we need is flexible e-ink screens that are paper thin and can display on both sides. Then, we could bundle a large number of these paper-thin pages between some sort of cover...

Quote:
How can something "too bulky and cumbersome" have "wonderful, gorgeous ergonomics"?
Yeah, that struck me as funny too.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 10-16-2017 at 03:40 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #11
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can drive the Starship Enterprise through his illogic.
No, you can't, because you'll kill Spock because of the stress of being in such an illogical place and Data will crash because the fact of wanting an e-book so as to forgo having to use a very large paper book and then complaining about the e-book not being a paper book doesn't compute.

I'm sure that sentence will make your brain hurt. I'm still not certain it's grammatically correct, by the way...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
No, you can't, because you'll kill Spock because of the stress of being in such an illogical place and Data will crash because the fact of wanting an e-book so as to forgo having to use a very large paper book and then complaining about the e-book not being a paper book doesn't compute.

I'm sure that sentence will make your brain hurt. I'm still not certain it's grammatically correct, by the way...
Your sentence made perfect sense. We don't want to kill Spock and fry Data's circuits.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:07 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Your sentence made perfect sense. We don't want to kill Spock and fry Data's circuits.
Neither do we want to fry Spock and kill Data...

And I like ereaders because I can have a book with a beautiful leather cover, be it a simple harlequin (is that how you spell it?) or a huge book consisting of 20000 pages...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:24 AM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I have to agree with JSWolf, ZodWallop and Cinisajoy. While ereader's still don't look like a traditional book I'd rather lug around 8oz of electronics than 1-2 lbs of paper, ink and glue. Plus at a couple inches thick a book like War and Peace is hard to hold open in paper. Not so with an ebook edition. Maybe one day there will be ereaders that have pages like a traditional paper book but until that day comes the present ereaders aren't doing that badly as a media either.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:38 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What is the best edition of War and Peace?