Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-20-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Clips bar empty

I thought I had read something similar to this in a different thread, but I couldn't quickly find it and I have to run to work. Sorry if it is a duplicate.

When I open a second instance of Sigil it correctly populates and displays the clips bar, but the already existing instance of Sigil loses all the clips.

If I then close the new instance, the clips bar does not repopulate on the first instance.

Sigil 0.9.8
Win 10 x64

Last edited by Turtle91; 09-20-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Consistently?

I sure can't duplicate it on Windows 7 or Linux
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Happens to me all the time. Have to close and reopen the file to get the clips back.

Sigil 0.9.6 on Windows 7 x64.

(And I also thought this had been mentioned before. It isn't a serious problem for me.)
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:07 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
FYI, can't happen on Macs due to the unified single app instance with multiple windows for each book.

So we'll need help tracking this down as I won't be able to recreate it and DiapDealer can not yet reproduce it.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:17 PM   #5
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It only happens when I open a second already existing epub, not when I open a new, empty, instance of Sigil.
Advert
Old 09-20-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There has been mention of disappearing clips before (as well as Saved Searches being empty), but no one has been able to give us a consistent way to reproduce it. It's always been a "sometime it does it, some times it doesn't" kind of thing. And always on Windows.

I don't think anyone has ever mentioned the clips physically disappearing on the first Sigil instance before. Could be wrong though.

If you guys are saying it happens to you without fail under those conditions, we may be able to get somewhere!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-20-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

OK, it doesn't really seem to be consistent. I've tried a few times now, and here's what happened:

- a second empty instance of Sigil didn't affect the clips 5 out of 5 times.
- a second pre-existing epub killed the clips in the first instance 4 out of 5 times.

- a third instance of Sigil, no matter whether empty or not, killed the clips in the first and second instance 5 out of 5 times.

No idea if that helps. As I said, for me it isn't a biggie.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:36 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Do you have quite an extensive clips library? I ask because even when adding several clips to mine, I can never get this to happen. So I think I need to know what kind of numbers we're talking about, here.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:39 PM   #9
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Yes, I've got loads of clips. But it really isn't consistent. I've just managed to open four existing epubs one after another without the clips disappearing in any of them...
Old 09-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, but I think I need a ballpark figure RE the number of clips you have. If I can get it to happen even ONCE, I may be able to find a way reproduce it consistently. But I've never once got them (or the saved searches) to disappear on Windows.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #11
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

I've got a bit over 100 clips (plus the example clips).
Old 09-20-2017, 06:39 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

OK thanks.

Anyone with a large clips library (100 or more) want to share their sigil_clips.ini file so I don't have to dummy one up? I'd sure appreciate it. Same goes for the sigil_searches.ini. I think I need some bigguns.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:05 PM   #13
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Sorry I missed the convo...I was off at work.

I don't know how consistent it is for me. It's happened every time of the last 4-5 times I've tried it...and was looking for it.

I have roughly 20 clips in mine. I've attached my .ini file in a zip folder.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sigil_clips.zip (1.8 KB, 84 views)
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:22 AM   #14
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Here are my two .ini files:
Attached Files
File Type: zip clips-n-searches.zip (2.2 KB, 86 views)
Old 09-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Hmmm. Thanks folks. Though the disparity in the number of clips doesn't lend a lot of confidence that the problem is related to clip library size.

My previous testing has been with a clip library of about 25 clips--and I've launched upwards of 10 instances of Sigil (both new instances and existing epubs) without getting this bug to rear its ugly head.

I'll try again with these provided INIs, though.

How do you have your GUIs arranged, by the way? Some screenshots of what widgets you have open and how/where they are docked/undocked might be helpful.