Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Device: Sony PRS-T3S
Which reader to buy with some specific wishes

Hey everyone,

I have a question and hope you can help me.

I have a Sony PRS-T1 and honestly I love it! I love the shape, the pink color (though they call it red) and all its features, it fits my needs perfectly! Only thing missing is light! And that is the problem, I would very much like to get a reader who has light!
If Sony would have done it with the PRS-T3 I would have bought that one but they didn't, so I now have to think of buying a different one. I have some expirience with a Kindle BUT there are some things I'm not willing to do without just for light, so here is what I need from a new reader:

- E-Ink display
- Touch-screen
- light
- A good Englisch dictionary

- Easy transfer, preferably without doing anything extra, from my series and tags columns to a collaction on my reader. I know with Kindle you only can do that over a plugin and only with the Not-Touch-Kindle (I think) and it isn't THAT comfortable. With Sony I don't have to do anything extra. It automaticly makes different collactions from my series and tags columns. I need these collactions on my reader because I'm reading a lot of fanfiction and have ALL of it on my reader. It helps me find my stuff more easy. Like when I want to read a Sherlock fanfiction I only have to go to my Sherlock collection on my reader and can scroll through ALL Sherlock stories there.

- Showing the cover of my book I'm reading on the display when off. I create my own fanfiction covers for my library (mybe some of you know my work) and I want them to see. Kindle has its own covers they show and that I don't like!

-The new Sony has a function I would like too. It shows not only the book you reading right now, it shows the last four. that would help me very much too because I sometimes switch from a normal book, to fanfiction or my own fanfiction I'm trying to write. On my Sony I can do that only over a little detour over the new added books (there I can see the last three) but as soon as I add new fanfction that is gone or I have to add what I want to see there again.

- If it would show the length of the books or fanfiction too in the overview bookshelf, that would be a big plus too. I see the title and the author but if it would show the words or pages too that would be greate. I normally go over a catalog I created for my fanfiction with my specific needs, which displays the number of words, status (complete or in-procress), read or not read, genre, slash or non slash, characters, community etc. ... in other words everything that is important for me but sometimes I whish I just could scroll through the titles in a collection and pick one that catch my eye but without knowing its length I don't like that.

That is what I'm looking for. Is there a reader that can do ALL that or most of that and has light? Or do I have to wait for the next new Sony reader that hopefully has light?

Any ideas?

MiniMouse
MiniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'm most familiar with Kobo, and it meets most of your needs, with a tweak here and there.

Quote:
- E-Ink display
- Touch-screen
- light
- A good Englisch dictionary
Yes, depending what you mean by "good". It's no OED, and lacks some archaic/very obscure words, but it's certainly adequate for my (minimal) needs. I would think it would be adequate for a person for whom English isn't their mother tongue.

Quote:
- Easy transfer, preferably without doing anything extra, from my series and tags columns to a collaction on my reader. I know with Kindle you only can do that over a plugin and only with the Not-Touch-Kindle (I think) and it isn't THAT comfortable. With Sony I don't have to do anything extra. It automaticly makes different collactions from my series and tags columns. I need these collactions on my reader because I'm reading a lot of fanfiction and have ALL of it on my reader. It helps me find my stuff more easy. Like when I want to read a Sherlock fanfiction I only have to go to my Sherlock collection on my reader and can scroll through ALL Sherlock stories there.
Once you have Calibre set up with Shelves and, if you like, templates for transferring Series information across as well, you may be happy with it. For fanfiction, you may or may not prefer to use the shiny new Pocket integration (available officially for the Aura, but unofficially for Glo and Aura HD with sideloaded firmware), especially once it gets more feature-rich, which hopefully it will.

Quote:
- Showing the cover of my book I'm reading on the display when off. I create my own fanfiction covers for my library (mybe some of you know my work) and I want them to see. Kindle has its own covers they show and that I don't like!
Yep, Kobo does this, though at the moment the "Sleeping" overlay is a bit ugly. I'm hoping that will revert to a previous less hideous version.

Quote:
-The new Sony has a function I would like too. It shows not only the book you reading right now, it shows the last four. that would help me very much too because I sometimes switch from a normal book, to fanfiction or my own fanfiction I'm trying to write. On my Sony I can do that only over a little detour over the new added books (there I can see the last three) but as soon as I add new fanfction that is gone or I have to add what I want to see there again.
Yep, this works. The front page has a series of tiles that will show up to the last four books you've opened, along with recently managed Shelves, recent apps, recently added books, and so on. I tend to keep my currently-reading books in a Shortlist as well.

Quote:
- If it would show the length of the books or fanfiction too in the overview bookshelf, that would be a big plus too. I see the title and the author but if it would show the words or pages too that would be greate. I normally go over a catalog I created for my fanfiction with my specific needs, which displays the number of words, status (complete or in-procress), read or not read, genre, slash or non slash, characters, community etc. ... in other words everything that is important for me but sometimes I whish I just could scroll through the titles in a collection and pick one that catch my eye but without knowing its length I don't like that.
Not length, but file size is shown in the Library view. You can also sort the Library by file size.

Hope this has helped a little.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Device: Sony PRS-T3S
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm most familiar with Kobo, and it meets most of your needs, with a tweak here and there.
Thanks very much, I will check it out.
MiniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote