Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-06-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
tomemastermom
tomemastermom began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy2
Error Communicating with Device

Hi I have my calibre library mounted on an external harddrive using calibre portable. Never had any problems.

My husbands Samsung Galaxy2 communicates with it just fine, but I just got one to replace my nook color and even though it detects it in the bottom left corner, i get an error message saying it cant communicate with the device.

calibre, version 0.9.38
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Cannot write to file: hr=2147942431 facility=7 error_code=31 description: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

This is the error detail:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 476, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 193, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 165, in get_driveinfo
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 156, in _update_drive_info
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 33, in check_thread
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 416, in put_file
WPDError: Cannot write to file: hr=2147942431 facility=7 error_code=31 description: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

followed all help steps including debug. here is the debug info:
calibre Debug log
calibre 0.9.38 Portable isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.4
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
Job: 1 Get device information started
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information callback returned
Job: 2 Get list of books on device started
MTP: Loading filesystem metadata...
Job: 1 Get device information finished
No details available.
MTP: Filesystem metadata loaded in 0.93 seconds (177 objects)
Failed to load existing driveinfo.calibre file, with error:
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 138, in _update_drive_info
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 33, in check_thread
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 368, in get_mtp_file
DeviceError: Failed to fetch the file (u'Tablet', u'driveinfo.calibre') with error: Failed to create stream interface to read from object: hr=2147942431 facility=7 error_code=31 description: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

DeviceJob: 2 Get list of books on device done, calling callback
Cannot write to file: hr=2147942431 facility=7 error_code=31 description: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 156, in _update_drive_info
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 416, in put_file
WPDError: Cannot write to file: hr=2147942431 facility=7 error_code=31 description: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

DeviceJob: 2 Get list of books on device callback returned
Job: 2 Get list of books on device finished

Started up in 69.23 seconds with 15253 books

Please help - I need to recreate a thousand book library on my new tablet and really dont want to have to drag and drop each one from my library...
tomemastermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Complete guess as I recall reading another post with something vaguely like this, but you don't have both ereaders attached at the same time, do you? Calibre can only see and interact with one device at a time.

While I hope this is helpful to you, I could be mistaken. So don't drive yourself crazy trying to shut a device down or anything.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's an error talking to the device not much calibre can do about it. You can try rebooting/resetting your device, that might help. Or use one of the wireless methods to transfer books to the device, as described here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....kindle-fire-hd
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:38 AM   #4
tomemastermom

ok here is the update. I wiped the tablet to factory settings, reformatted the card and started from scratch. It worked perfectly for about an hour, and then disconnected itself from calibre and now I am back to where i started with the same problem as above. I can use calibre companion just fine, but I want to know why I am having this issue with the hard connection. and why it is only on my tablet and not my husbands?

if anyone can help trouble shoot this to a resolution, I would appreciate it. I also deleted the calibre driver info from the tablet and let it recreate, but that did not fix the problem.

I do use aldiko as my reader, I am not sure if that makes a difference, but again, my husbands tablet is set up the same way and he is not having any issue. and no, they are not connected at the same time.

thanks
Old 07-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Are the two devices are the same model running the same version of android? If not, then there are probably too many variables to sort through.

If so, then (if you haven't already done so) try making things as close to the same as you can. Use the same computer, cable, and USB port that work with your husband's device. Make sure that the two devices use the same "protocol" when connected by cable (MTP) and that the two devices have the same connection settings (IIRC samsung offers MTP, PTP, and perhaps "as drive"). If your device still fails, then it must be an idiosyncrasy of that device, perhaps temperature related. In this case the only way I can think of to fix it is to convince Samsung to replace the device. Good luck with that.

EDIT: also try using the SD card from your husband's device.

Glad that CC works, so at least you aren't stuck.

Last edited by chaley; 07-07-2013 at 03:35 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 04:01 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
long shot, that'll probably land in the rough.

do golazy's attempt to recharge themselves over usb - you could try using a dual port cable http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...ower_cable.jpg

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
long shot, that'll probably land in the rough.

do golazy's attempt to recharge themselves over usb - you could try using a dual port cable http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...ower_cable.jpg

BR
My Tab2 does not like to charge from a single USB port if the battery is close to flat. Just too much current needed.

That cable will probably NOT fit the Samsung end (Proprietary)

Use the Factory (2A) charger to top off the battery before attaching to the computer.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
tomemastermom

update - all settings for my husbands and my tablets are the same except the name of the device. same operating systems etc as well. if i cant fix the problem to have it connect to calibre with the cable, i at laest would like to know if it means there is an inherent problem with the device or the card since they are both new and can be returned if so...

my husbands tablet is not new, but the card is...and is the same model as the one in my tablet...

using cc with no problems...
Old 07-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Might be worthwhile posting the debug log as mentioned in this post My device is not detected by calibre.

Do make sure to wrap the logs in the [spoiler] log here [/spoiler] tags and do post the logs for both the working and non working device..
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:29 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomemastermom View Post
update - all settings for my husbands and my tablets are the same except the name of the device. same operating systems etc as well. if i cant fix the problem to have it connect to calibre with the cable, i at laest would like to know if it means there is an inherent problem with the device or the card since they are both new and can be returned if so...

my husbands tablet is not new, but the card is...and is the same model as the one in my tablet...

using cc with no problems...
The only way I know of to debug this sort of problem is to eliminate the actual (not theoretical) differences and try it. This is why I suggested you try your device using the same computer, cable, and port that works for your husband. If that fails, then you know the problem must be your device or the sdcard.

I would then try exchanging sdcards, but I recognize that this might be a much more difficult step given that each card has different data. Instead of this, you might try saving your library to the device's main memory and run it with no sdcard. Or try some other sdcard if you have one sitting around.

The fact that CC works does not imply that the sdcard is fully OK. There two connection mechanisms have different memory access patterns and rates. One pattern/rate might work, while another might not. My guess is that MTP puts more of a load on the sdcard, but I don't know that for a fact.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
Deblk
Deblk began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Might be worthwhile posting the debug log as mentioned in this post My device is not detected by calibre.

Do make sure to wrap the logs in the [spoiler] log here [/spoiler] tags and do post the logs for both the working and non working device..
How do you post debug log to where you mentioned as the thread is closed?

Thanks
Deblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You post it in whatever thread you were asking for help in.... those were just the instructions!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote