Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Survey Claims to Reveal the Death of Printed Books

A survey asked average people (U.S.) which was better, a printed book or an ebook. Printed books were better for two characteristics and ebooks for four characteristics. Article here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...AI_COTD_040512
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Well, statistically I'd call one of those a tie (45 to 43%), so the survey is pretty much a tie.

And realistically, books have more than these six characteristics. I can think of several, but for me, most of *these* would still end up in a tie (physical ownership; ability to search for a remembered word or phrase; etc, etc). I still read both, and expect to live out the rest of my life doing so.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
You can't throw an ebook at someone.
You can't burn an ebook, in the event of a sudden global ice age.
You can't prop up a table with a short leg with an ebook.
You can't look intelligent from a distance, while reading an ebook (for all anyone knows, you're watching those dodgy videos that resulted in that hush-hush court case).
You can't hollow out an ebook, and store valuable material possessions in it.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Well, statistically I'd call one of those a tie (45 to 43%), so the survey is pretty much a tie.

And realistically, books have more than these six characteristics. I can think of several, but for me, most of *these* would still end up in a tie (physical ownership; ability to search for a remembered word or phrase; etc, etc). I still read both, and expect to live out the rest of my life doing so.
Didn't know about the Bandit of Hell's Bend by Burroughs - so thanks!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
its hardly surprising really? Thats technology. When you think of it,

.... gosh there is so much waist when most books are only read once or twice then possibly thrown away ... esp in the case of newspapers and magazines
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Didn't know about the Bandit of Hell's Bend by Burroughs - so thanks!
A word of warning: I loved his "traditional" stuff (Tarzan, John Carter, Pellucidar, Venus, Caspak, etc.), but I'm having a very difficult time slogging through this Western.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I don't see how any of these results portend "the death of print books." Each form of book has its advantages so why won't they both survive into the foreseeable future?
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
You can't hollow out an ebook, and store valuable material possessions in it.
This morning, I pulled out a paper book that was a Christmas present from many, many moons ago. Inside, I found a collection of colourful Spanish stamps with Franco's picture on them, and a hand-written list of the players from a championship Montreal Alouettes team that I was a big fan of back then. So, you don't even have to hollow out the book to store valuables in it, and sometimes a bookmark also tells its own story. Try that with an ebook!

Of course, on the other side, silverfish don't chew on ebook covers and poop inside.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
sbroome
Youngsta
sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
its hardly surprising really? Thats technology. When you think of it,

.... gosh there is so much waist when most books are only read once or twice then possibly thrown away ... esp in the case of newspapers and magazines
Really.. waist?
sbroome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
You can't throw an ebook at someone.
You can't prop up a table with a short leg with an ebook.
Well, actually you CAN do both of these things with your entire ebook collection.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
actually, when I was prognosticating this morning with the sheeps guts, it told me the same thing!

It is Truth! Be afraid, the books are leaving!!!!
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I want to say "and good riddance." Then I think "suppose the power goes off."

I guess the answer is obvious! SOLAR POWER RECHARGING STATIONS.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
A survey asked average people (U.S.) which was better, a printed book or an ebook. Printed books were better for two characteristics and ebooks for four characteristics. Article here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...AI_COTD_040512
I found the number of people who favor a PRINT book for sharing, and believe it to be a better format for such, interesting.

It also has proven to be true for my life. Print books are more visible, and people can say, 'hey, can I read that when you're done?" and I can say "sure no problem" and just hand it to them. Also, they make great second-hand gifts. I've given many books as gifts that people have admired in my library and said they wished they could read.

Despite people freaking out over how easy "casual sharing" is with e-books, I have done the most book sharing and swapping with print books. They are just physical objects a person can pass around.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
This morning, I pulled out a paper book that was a Christmas present from many, many moons ago. Inside, I found a collection of colourful Spanish stamps with Franco's picture on them, and a hand-written list of the players from a championship Montreal Alouettes team that I was a big fan of back then. So, you don't even have to hollow out the book to store valuables in it, and sometimes a bookmark also tells its own story. Try that with an ebook!

Of course, on the other side, silverfish don't chew on ebook covers and poop inside.
My husband writes nice little notes to me sometimes, and I slip them in a favorite book and forget about them, until the next time I read them and get a nice surprise once again.

I had forgotten 2 days after my husband and I were married we went into a second hand book shop and he bought me "Fast Food Nation" and I bought him "Brave New World". I forgot about this little outing, until one day recently I took it off the bookshelf and started reading, only to find the love note i scribbled in the front cover of our mutual wedding gift to each other.

I love my e-reader. But I place most of my value in real physical books. Digital books on a screen don't have the "book" feel to me. I'm not just talking about getting all gushy over paper, but just the whole culture of it all.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #15
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Print books are more visible, and people can say, 'hey, can I read that when you're done?" and I can say "sure no problem" and just hand it to them. Also, they make great second-hand gifts. I've given many books as gifts that people have admired in my library and said they wished they could read.
A good quality used book can be a much better gift than a poor quality new book, assuming the contents are the same.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote