Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 03:35 AM   #16
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I really enjoy the ability to borrow ebooks from my local library, especially something that I will only want to read once. While I find this idea to limit the number of borrowers per license to be galling I also know that there will be very little direct impact to me. If something isn't available from the library I can just buy it. Not everyone is so lucky. Instead of contacting the publisher to voice my disgust I am going to contact my library to see how I can help.

I don't know if I can donate ebooks in general or specific ebooks, but I intend to find out.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:55 AM   #17
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Well, over here (Sweden) I'm guessing authors would protest loudly if anything like this would be implemented. Over here the author gets a couple of cents (or whatever the amount is) every time a book is checked out from a library. They want their books to be read gazillions of times, and they know that it people borrow their books at the library (whatever format) they are likely to pick up THEIR book before others at the airport, in the beach bookshop or wherever.
And, for what it's worth, USA isn't the world and English isn't the only language in the world. Outside of US eBooks ar bought in lots of bookstores that have nothing whatsoever to do with Amazon or B&N or Borders. EPub is the dominating format, so readers supporting ePub will defininately still be the preferred option internationally.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #18
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I tend to agree that although library use is a smaller percentage it is is still a big facto when deciding to purchase an ereader. For me, almost all the ebooks that i have read in the last 6 weeks have been library books. I have noticed that the lineups have grown since Christmas as more people got readers over Christmas and perhaps becoming aware of the possibilities. I showed mine to my mil's and they are both interested in readers now for library use. So library use is a big factor ateast in the decision making and early use of a reader. The fact that Sony supports ePub for buying books though from stores is also a huge factor and the touch screen was big for me as well. I really hope that e-book libraries continue to grow. Perhaps they will have to relook at library licenses to be able to give unlimited use.

Last edited by mcrmama; 02-27-2011 at 10:52 AM.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #19
roguexuk
Enthusiast
roguexuk began at the beginning.

Device: PW4, Kobo Aura (Original), Touch, Libra H20, Aura ONE & Clara HD
I have to say, I only recently discovered that my local library does ebooks and I'm chuffed to bits with it.
It's so nice to be able to 'try' a book out with the library first.
Don't the publishers realise that if we really like an ebook we've borrowed, we're going to go out and buy it?

So in a way elibraries are generating a profit for the publishers - they just want more.

roguexuk
roguexuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #20
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
The Sony Reader has way more to offer then just library books. A lot of people with Sony Readers don't have access to digital libraries and if they do, they usually have very little content. I live in Atlanta and I've never checked out an ebook from any Georgia libraries. With that said, these publishers are really encouraging piracy. Many people are not able to buy books and count on the libraries (that's one place your property taxes go to). I think it's a bad move and at the end they will lose.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:55 AM   #21
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile Interesting.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguexuk View Post
I have to say, I only recently discovered that my local library does ebooks and I'm chuffed to bits with it.
It's so nice to be able to 'try' a book out with the library first.
Don't the publishers realise that if we really like an ebook we've borrowed, we're going to go out and buy it?

So in a way elibraries are generating a profit for the publishers - they just want more.

roguexuk
Hi roguexuk, read with interest your above - so is that West Sussex County Libraries/Sussex Libraries or wot ?
I am an Old Sussexian (Horsham) still with links there, and could still get a Library card there, which, from your post, would obviously be A Good Thing !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:02 AM   #22
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
What I don't understand is why publishers don't sell ebooks directly from their websites. Will they soon?
HarperCollins used to do so, but shut up shop 19th December 2010:
http://www.harpercollinsebooks.com/
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #23
KNI
Connoisseur
KNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony PRS-650
A very good discussion on comparative costs of e-books -versus printed books - p-books is at:

http://mayareynoldswriter.blogspot.c...vs-p-book.html

While this link does not directly concern libraries, it does illuminate the business models and practices of big publishers and for anyone interested is well worth checking out.
KNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #24
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Well, over here (Sweden) I'm guessing authors would protest loudly if anything like this would be implemented. Over here the author gets a couple of cents (or whatever the amount is) every time a book is checked out from a library. They want their books to be read gazillions of times, and they know that it people borrow their books at the library (whatever format) they are likely to pick up THEIR book before others at the airport, in the beach bookshop or wherever.
And, for what it's worth, USA isn't the world and English isn't the only language in the world. Outside of US eBooks ar bought in lots of bookstores that have nothing whatsoever to do with Amazon or B&N or Borders. EPub is the dominating format, so readers supporting ePub will defininately still be the preferred option internationally.
That sounds like a much better system. Make the ePub's free to the library and then pay the author a few cents everytime it's checked out.

Big publishers are a dying breed and at this point just clinging on to dear life, much like the music industry did, and much like the movie industry did. This move is only going to force people to pirate books more. The eBook situation at my local library is absurd, almost every single title is always checked out. Makes me wonder what the point of having eBooks is.
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #25
roguexuk
Enthusiast
roguexuk began at the beginning.

Device: PW4, Kobo Aura (Original), Touch, Libra H20, Aura ONE & Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Hi roguexuk, read with interest your above - so is that West Sussex County Libraries/Sussex Libraries or wot ?
I am an Old Sussexian (Horsham) still with links there, and could still get a Library card there, which, from your post, would obviously be A Good Thing !

Hi Carpetmojo,

Alas West Sussex libraries use 'Public Library Online' where you can only really read the books online

Luckily while I worked in Horley I joined their library and they have Overdrive with a fair amount of books - not loads, but quite a few that people would actually wanna read

Maybe you could write to your library & suggest switching to Overdrive. I bet way more people would use that over their current system.

Roguexuk
Roguexuk
roguexuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #26
slow1234
Enthusiast
slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Hopefully HarperCollins bows to pressure and changes their Overdrive/Library sales practices. Their logic/justification for the 26-loan cap is incredibly flawed.

One of the reasons why I bought a Sony reader for my wife was for the ability to sign out library ebooks.
slow1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #27
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Neocons and radical libertarians would have us believe that Harper Collins can set any damn rules they want, because they OWN the rights to the books they publish.

Actually that's not quite accurate. Under our U.S. Constitution at least, copyright protection is a privilege granted by the government NOT a sacred god given property right.

The ability of buyers to make 'fair use' of copyrighted materials is part of the bargain that publishers agree to in exchange for their grant of copyright protection, and the ability of libraries to lend out copyrighted books in perpetuity has been long held to come under these 'fair use' rules.

Since Harper Collins apparently doesn't want to play by these long established rules governing copyrights, perhaps the government needs to step in and inform Harper Collins that they are jeopardizing their eligibility for copyright protection on Harper Collins titles until they rethink their position.

This would NOT be unprecedented. For example, when a company decides to get a patent on a new technology, they have to agree to very stringent rules in exchange for being granted patent protection. If they don't want to do this, they do have the option of opting out of the patent process and simply trying to keep the technical details of their discovery as a 'trade secret', in which case they could theoretically retain that secret forever.

However this grants them NO PROTECTION under the law.

Since Harper Collins clearly doesn't want to play the Copyright game by the long established rules, I guess we have to assume that they wish to waive their copyright protections.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #28
cwappy
cwappy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
My decision to purchase a Sony had nothing to do with my local library. They only have something like 600 ebooks on their web site anyway. There are many other reasons: epub support, touchscreen, no waste of space (keyboard), better built, etc.
cwappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:09 AM   #29
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Certain members of MR have been projecting the demise of the Sony Reader on an annual basis for at least three years. I somehow doubt they're getting out of the e-reader game.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #30
Janette55
Connoisseur
Janette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it is

Device: Sony 900
Depending on what genres you read you can buy some of them from publishers. There are plenty of ebook stores where you can buy books. Some are DRM-free, others have the DRM.

I chose my Sony for several reasons, one was that I could borrow books from a library if I wanted to, but it wasn't the deciding factor. Mainly it was that I wasn't tied to Amazon. The wireless was good until I learned that Sony sold DRM'd books; but I can get most of the books from online, and DRM free.
Learning how to strip the DRM can also help to open up bookstores if you want to go that route.
Janette55 is offline   Reply With Quote