Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 03:36 AM   #31
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgray View Post
But I'm nervous, read scared about rooting, so here are my questoins.
Your questions have already been answered but I wanted to jump in for a moment. It's good to be nervous, consider it a defense mechanism that helps prevent you from doing something regretable.

There are two things to remember: 1. The Nook will always give boot priority to the SD card. That in itself means that even if you brick the unit, you can also un-brick it. And 2. The built-in "master-reset," for lack of better name, will reset the Nook to factory settings. The combination of these two points supports the claim that the Nook cannot really be bricked.

Take your time and read about the process. Watch some YouTube videos on the subject. When you have done this, then you can decide to root or not. I bet though that you will root when you're more familiar with the process.

Good luck.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #32
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I overclocked a TI SR-11 once and created a gateway to an alternate universe where everyone spoke Esperanto, had hands where there feet should be and feet where there should be hands.

I dropped the calculator to the ground and crushed it beneath my shoe.

I have never overclocked anything since!

Ahh you are the one who opened the gate.....
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 AM   #33
ddr
ddr began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Noob user ...
- stock 1.1 firmware, previously rooted by former owner, not sure if un-rooted now

1) does the NC need to be rooted for this procedure? i'm asking because there's a 'dual-boot' thread that only works on non-rooted devices

2) is there a package for 0.6.8 on a SD card?

3) i'm guessing i will not have access to the extra gb's of space on the nook when i run off the SD card? (i have a 2gb one, but it seems small to me)

4) if i'm installing it on a 2gb sd card first, is there some type of sector by sector copy software that I can use to transfer it to a new and bigger card later on? or will I have to do this process again? would titanium backup work this way?

5) 'Monster RootPack 0.7 / Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD' -> brianf's instructions
- is this a good or correct flow for rooting and getting froyo onto a SD card? or should i use auto-nooter instead?
- or should i just follow nookdev's wiki?

6) so i turn off the nook and eject the sd card and turn it back on to have it in stock mode?

Thanks in advance =)
ddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #34
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
1) does the NC need to be rooted for this procedure? i'm asking because there's a 'dual-boot' thread that only works on non-rooted devices
A*) No, if you boot off of the SD card you do not have to root. If you want a dual boot yes you do have to root, but the install will be in your internal flash not an SD Card

2) is there a package for 0.6.8 on a SD card?
A*) yes

3) i'm guessing i will not have access to the extra gb's of space on the nook when i run off the SD card? (i have a 2gb one, but it seems small to me)
A*) you are correct. I would recommend 4-8gb

4) if i'm installing it on a 2gb sd card first, is there some type of sector by sector copy software that I can use to transfer it to a new and bigger card later on? or will I have to do this process again? would titanium backup work this way?
A*) I haven't tried it but using 'dd' should work.

5) 'Monster RootPack 0.7 / Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD' -> brianf's instructions
- is this a good or correct flow for rooting and getting froyo onto a SD card? or should i use auto-nooter instead?
- or should i just follow nookdev's wiki?
Auto-nooter is for rooting the nook, if you are booting off of the SD card you do not need to root your device.
I say just follow the nookdev site

6) so i turn off the nook and eject the sd card and turn it back on to have it in stock mode?
A*) Yes
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #35
desertdawg
Zealot
desertdawg began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor
Hi all,
I made a nookie disk on a level 6 uSD card a week ago
and have had fun with it.

The browser and soft keys are sluggish though. This is no speed demon. But it has been reliable for me, and I like setting up the home screen my way, and playing with all the apps.

One downside I saw was that power button didn't work to restart the nc after removing the USD card. But applying power from the
charger did restart the nc... That was five minutes full of adrenaline!

Thought I was toast for a bit.

Anyway,have fun with the nookie froyo!

Dave
desertdawg is offline   Reply With Quote