Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-23-2019, 12:44 AM   #1
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Kindle for PC/Mac 1.26

ETA: "What's New: This update includes stability improvements and bug fixes."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Looks like Amazon has begun rolling out Kindle for PC/Mac 1.26.

When I opened K4Mac today, it asked if I wanted to update to 1.26. I said "not now" because I wasn't ready, but now I'd like to experiment with it and I can't find a way to "check for updates" or get it to ask me again. I even checked the "automatically install updates without asking me" box then closed and re-opened the app, but no dice. Also, Amazon's website is still delivering 1.25.2.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by odamizu; 04-24-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: updated info
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Amazon produces multiple beta test builds of new Kindle for PC/Mac versions and delivers them to a small group for testing. Who gets them and when appears to be random. They can have serious bugs and are not always the final build that eventually gets released for that version.

If you want to try it at your own risk, you can download the most recent Kindle for Mac 1.26 build (as of today) here:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindleforma...rMac-55087.dmg
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! I will test and experiment and report back.

How did you find the link? (Google was no help to me on this.)
Old 04-23-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
How did you find the link? (Google was no help to me on this.)
Trial and error. The file names follow a pattern. (The build numbers increment in multiples of a thousand for major releases and the last three digits increment for builds within that release. There are numbering gaps between builds that are available for download.)

Last edited by jhowell; 04-23-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:32 AM   #5
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Trial and error. The file names follow a pattern. (The build numbers increment in multiples of a thousand for major releases and the last three digits increment for builds within that release. There are numbering gaps between builds that are available for download.)
Oh wow. Thanks for taking the time to find the magic number!

I'm not sure why this release is 1.26.0 rather than 1.25.x because all the "What's New" says is: "This update includes stability improvements and bug fixes."

I only use K4Mac to retrieve and liberate ebooks, so I can't speak to any of the features, but 1.26.0 works the same as 1.25.2 as far as avoiding KFX and getting KF8 instead goes

Last edited by odamizu; 04-24-2019 at 12:58 AM.
Advert
Old 04-24-2019, 07:55 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

It looks like Amazon is not adding the new read/unread indicator to the PC/Mac app. Probably just a bug fixing release.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:26 PM   #7
odamizu
just an egg

Indeed. I find it odd that a bug-fix release with no new features would be given a version bump from 1.25 to 1.26. Maybe the PC version will have new features.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:37 PM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

When I launched Kindle for PC just now I was offered version 1.26 (55076). I checked the download page and it is still delivering the previous release as of now.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:32 PM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
When I launched Kindle for PC just now I was offered version 1.26 (55076). I checked the download page and it is still delivering the previous release as of now.
I was offered 1.26 for MacOS (Windows user)
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:25 AM   #10
Mistyfarm
“Tis but a scratch!”
Mistyfarm began at the beginning.

Device: Mac 2007
No good for "old" Macs!

It just froze and then disappeared off my taskbar on my Mac 2007.

I was trying to resolve a problem with Kindle Unlimited failing to be add books with an "internal error" but this alleged update bombed.

So I'm stuck not being able to download Kindle Unlimited.

The call centre guys have tried to help, insisting there's nothing wrong with my account but thus far, as helpful as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

Mac owners ....... give this "update" a miss until you get some good reports!
Mistyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:24 AM   #11
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyfarm View Post
It just froze and then disappeared off my taskbar on my Mac 2007.

I was trying to resolve a problem with Kindle Unlimited failing to be add books with an "internal error" but this alleged update bombed.

So I'm stuck not being able to download Kindle Unlimited.

The call centre guys have tried to help, insisting there's nothing wrong with my account but thus far, as helpful as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

Mac owners ....... give this "update" a miss until you get some good reports!
Are you just having problems with Kindle Unlimited or purchased books as well?

I've only done some quick tests with K4Mac 1.26, but I haven't had problems with purchased books (I don't have Kindle Unlimited).

What macOS are you running?
Old 05-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #12
Mistyfarm
“Tis but a scratch!”
Mistyfarm began at the beginning.

Device: Mac 2007
Using OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan on a late 2007 iMac. So that might help with the "Update" issue and disappearing Reader.

Yes, Amazon still quite happily take my money for new purchases I know that I want, have bought 2 or 3 books since the "error" and not all the cheapie books.

However, I now know I've been locked out of Kindle Unlimited for the time being.

I received an email from "M" at Amazon.com.au telling me;
"I have checked the details and I see that you have reached maximum number of books you can borrow per month. You will be able to borrow books in a few days once the borrow books goes below the limit in last 30 days.

To learn more about the terms and conditions please visit the link below :

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201556940"

..... except of course there is no mention of a "maximum number of books" in ANY of the T&Cs I've been pointed to so far.

I've asked for a link to that rule but no answer so far.

So I have no idea how long I will have to wait for the counter to reset.

We all know that many of the KU books are dubious quality sub 50 page dross with no reviews to look at before you look at them.

So if there's a book per day ratio limit, I think it needs to be clear and upfront before they keep taking my 14bucks a month!

Just sayin'.

I might have to now take this to a more appropriate page, I'm just tidying up my misinformed "bug" report in this one.
Mistyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:34 AM   #13
odamizu
just an egg

Kindle for Mac 1.26.1 (55093)

Version bump to 1.26.1

"What's New: This update includes stability improvements and bug fixes."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindleforma...rMac-55093.dmg
Old 05-15-2019, 12:52 AM   #14
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
What if I don't want to pay for it?

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Digita...00UB76290?th=1
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
What if I don't want to pay for it?

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Digita...00UB76290?th=1
amazon is offering to sell used software?

also, what is the difference between "digital" and either "new" or "used"?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote