Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-09-2022, 11:48 PM   #1
Trel
Connoisseur
Trel began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 3
Looking for help to find a rootable (if necessary) ereader

I guess the easiest way to do this is just list out requirements.
  • E-Ink (or equivalent)
  • Linux or Android
  • Rootable if Android *(1)
  • Allows me to install Amaze and FBReader from APK *(2)
  • Backlit
  • Decent amount of space or microSD expandable

1 & 2. If Android I need to be able to install whatever I want from APK or from SAI, and not be restricted by existing modified versions of fbreader or similiar which prevent me from installing a package of the same name, or if it normally won't, then rootable so I can anyway. If Linux, I'll figure something out.

Screensize likely won't be an issue from what I've seen.
Trel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 02:48 AM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I don't own one, but I _think_ that the Boox readers are Android based and allow side-loading, might be worth looking into.

And for some unsolicited feedback, if you're willing to give up on the game, and don't *HAVE* to have FBReader, I'd suggest looking into KOReader, which works great on my Kobo Clara.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2022, 04:30 PM   #3
Trel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I don't own one, but I _think_ that the Boox readers are Android based and allow side-loading, might be worth looking into.

And for some unsolicited feedback, if you're willing to give up on the game, and don't *HAVE* to have FBReader, I'd suggest looking into KOReader, which works great on my Kobo Clara.
I've used KOReader before, I'm not a fan.

EDIT: nix the second half of what I said, I need to check Boox, I know Inkbook Obsidian (the one I had last) did have a modified FBReader pre-installed as a system app, which meant I couldn't install a sane version. I'm not sure if Boox were the same and I initially mixed the two up in my reply.

EDIT2: It does look like any Boox one I consider would need to be rootable. I'm looking more at those and comparing to here to see which are.

Last edited by Trel; 02-10-2022 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:12 PM   #4
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trel View Post
I've used KOReader before, I'm not a fan.

EDIT: nix the second half of what I said, I need to check Boox, I know Inkbook Obsidian (the one I had last) did have a modified FBReader pre-installed as a system app, which meant I couldn't install a sane version. I'm not sure if Boox were the same and I initially mixed the two up in my reply.

EDIT2: It does look like any Boox one I consider would need to be rootable. I'm looking more at those and comparing to here to see which are.
Boox devices don't come with FBreader by default at least the non-russian ones (e.g. from Amazon or boox.com). They let you side load out of the box. At least some of them are rootable. The Note Air 1 is at least on some firmwares. The hardware is pretty similar across models so I imagine most are. It's also possible to install multiple of the same app without rooting. I use App Cloner to have multiple Kobo apps for example. I'm sure you could figure out the same trick do it. I believe it just involves editing the APK manifest?

Boyue Likebooks also let you sideload. They support microSD cards. No idea if rootable though.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:34 PM   #5
Trel
Connoisseur

I just bought a Boox Poke 3.

Looks rootable. Hopefully I won't end up doing any real damage to it. My plan is to sideload a launcher (probably an old Nova launcher apk I got handy somewhere), fbreader, and amaze file manager.

With those three I should be able to recreate my current setup (kindle fire I got for free for listening to a timeshare pitch).

If not, well I bought the cheapest model that looked rootable, so expensive but not criplingly so mistake.
Advert
Old 02-11-2022, 02:37 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Why do you want it rootable?
The Boox devices have open Android and access to the Google Play Store, have their own launcher and file manager and can install the reading application you want
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 05:49 AM   #7
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just bought a Boox Poke 3.

Looks rootable. Hopefully I won't end up doing any real damage to it. My plan is to sideload a launcher (probably an old Nova launcher apk I got handy somewhere), fbreader, and amaze file manager.

With those three I should be able to recreate my current setup (kindle fire I got for free for listening to a timeshare pitch).

If not, well I bought the cheapest model that looked rootable, so expensive but not criplingly so mistake.
You don't need to root to do any of that. I'd also try the stock launcher for a few days at least. It's designed for eInk and avoids unnecessary scrolling and animations that will be rampant in something like Nova. Remember it's not an LCD screen so it doesn't really have a high refresh rate.
Old 02-13-2022, 03:42 AM   #8
Trel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
You don't need to root to do any of that. I'd also try the stock launcher for a few days at least. It's designed for eInk and avoids unnecessary scrolling and animations that will be rampant in something like Nova. Remember it's not an LCD screen so it doesn't really have a high refresh rate.
The most immediate need for root would be a package name conflict or it not being friendly with setting launchers. But ultimately it comes down to I do not trust Android devices unless I have root.

As far as the launcher goes though, is this an accurate depiction? https://i.imgur.com/PzeZhyz.png (and that would show books if the library is filled)

If so, it's very much what I would like to avoid entirely. I want a nice desktop looking thing with three icons, (Amaze, FBReader, F-Droid). I'm not married to Nova, and was actually planning to look into a few of the open launchers on f-droid on an old phone I had handy.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:56 AM   #9
salamanderjuice
Guru

Quote:
The most immediate need for root would be a package name conflict or it not being friendly with setting launchers. But ultimately it comes down to I do not trust Android devices unless I have root.

As far as the launcher goes though, is this an accurate depiction? https://i.imgur.com/PzeZhyz.png (and that would show books if the library is filled)

If so, it's very much what I would like to avoid entirely. I want a nice desktop looking thing with three icons, (Amaze, FBReader, F-Droid). I'm not married to Nova, and was actually planning to look into a few of the open launchers on f-droid on an old phone I had handy.
Yes, but you can change the home page to just look at the app screen if you want and ignore the library. You could also set the default epub program to be FBreader if you wanted and use the library. Most launchers are designed with LCDs in mind, so loads of color, scrolling and animations which don't look great on eInk. You can also stick app shortcuts in the navigation ball so you can literally open those 3 apps anywhere. IMO its a well designed launcher for an eReader with an eInk screen.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:12 AM   #10
Trel
Connoisseur

I think you misunderstood that comment.

That launcher in the pic is explicitly the one I want to avoid using in any way. It may be well designed for your purposes by it's an utter nightmare for mine.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:34 AM   #11
salamanderjuice
Guru

Quote:
I think you misunderstood that comment.

That launcher in the pic is explicitly the one I want to avoid using in any way. It may be well designed for your purposes by it's an utter nightmare for mine.
Have you tried it? Why is it a nightmare?

I mean you can do what you want but it's better IMO than trying to stuff a launcher designed for LCDs on a screen that is very much not LCD.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:58 AM   #12
Trel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Have you tried it? Why is it a nightmare?

I mean you can do what you want but it's better IMO than trying to stuff a launcher designed for LCDs on a screen that is very much not LCD.
Ok I didn't really want to go back and forth on this bit but based on this pic: https://i.imgur.com/PzeZhyz.png

1. Can you get rid of that top bar (clock icon, not the notification bar)?
2. Can you get rid of the bottom bar with Library, Store, Storage, Apps, Settings
3. Can you make the Apps view only show 3 specific apps on the screen and nothing else?

If this is anything like the launcher that came stock on the Inkbook Obsidian, then the answers to all three are "No".

It's also worth noting I do not use a library function of any app, reader, launcher, etc. My books are sorted how I want by filesystem structure.

Code:
Books Folder/<Read or Unread>/<Series if Present, Author if Not>/<Series # -><Title> - <Author>.epub
Old 02-13-2022, 11:33 AM   #13
salamanderjuice
Guru

1. No, it's a part of the library screen.
2. No.
3. No but you can shove everything else into a folder and have 4 icons.

Again you can completely ignore the library and just use folders in the storage tab but clearly you have something insanely specific in mind. I personally wouldn't want to use a scrolling file manager on eInk but you do you.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:20 PM   #14
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Of course you can also use other launchers - but then you will lose many of the Boox-typical setting options.
I use the Simple Ink Launcher on my Tolinos, but library management in a file system structure makes no sense in my opinion - a database for metadata is required for a larger number of books:
- several authors
- multiple keywords
- Series
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 10:25 PM   #15
Trel
Connoisseur

I had no intention of using the built in launcher. I wasn't married to using Nova, but I had no intention of ever using the stock as it's pretty much the dictionary definition of what I dislike in launchers. For what it's worth, my preference is as close to a desktop experience as possible, adapted for platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
but library management in a file system structure makes no sense in my opinion - a database for metadata is required for a larger number of books:
- several authors
- multiple keywords
- Series
My filesystem covers everything I typically look for. The only less than optimal case is multiple authors on the same book since that would be represented as "X & Y" so a straight sort of folders wouldn't show it under "Y". I don't do keyword searches because I honestly don't care about anything they'd contain beyond genre, and I have such a limited taste when it comes to genre, I can pretty easily memorize what genre goes to what title.

Series though, I did address specifically in my file path convention.

But yes, I definitely get that it's not for everyone, but I wasn't recommending it for anyone. My only real reason for mentioning it was to give sort of a background info for why I wanted to set up the device in this specific way.