Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2019, 07:20 PM   #1636
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Use the tag "author sort" for sorting by author (or let us know the name of the (additional) tag you use), and do a straight sort (no interpretation of the sort tag). Also use a series sort tag.
I was under the weird impression that Kobo's ereaders could already sort by series. At least, if the books I sync from Kobo or the books I sideload from calibre have series information, I can search and sort by series.

As for sorting author by FN LN or LN, FN? Not really a concern for me. Search works rather well and is much easier than paging through hundreds of pages at 5 books per page.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:10 PM   #1637
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I was under the weird impression that Kobo's ereaders could already sort by series. At least, if the books I sync from Kobo or the books I sideload from calibre have series information, I can search and sort by series.
For the series, he means using series_sort data in a similar way to calibre's author_sort. Calibre does have this, it just doesn't expose it in the same way as either the title or author sorts.
Quote:
As for sorting author by FN LN or LN, FN? Not really a concern for me. Search works rather well and is much easier than paging through hundreds of pages at 5 books per page.
I tend to use search a lot more now than previously, but, I also frequently just page through the lists looking from something to catch my eye. I'm much morre likely to know what I don't want to read next, rather than what I do want to read. A series list would give me another view of the books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:54 PM   #1638
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Quote:
For the series, he means using series_sort data in a similar way to calibre's author_sort. Calibre does have this, it just doesn't expose it in the same way as either the title or author sorts.
I was wondering about his use of the term tags. A message that belonged more in the calibre forum than the Kobo forum.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:27 PM   #1639
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Use the tag "author sort" for sorting by author (or let us know the name of the (additional) tag you use), and do a straight sort (no interpretation of the sort tag). Also use a series sort tag.
Using a series sort tag would require a uniform specification for a series designation, which EPUB 2 lacks and EPUB 3 briefly sort of had (but no longer does).

Quote:
That’s a KEPUB extension which is neither universal nor standard.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #1640
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Using a series sort tag would require a uniform specification for a series designation, which EPUB 2 lacks and EPUB 3 briefly sort of had (but no longer does).

That’s a KEPUB extension which is neither universal nor standard.
Once the series information is written to the database, a Kobo ereader will sort on series regardless of epub or kepub. As near as I can tell, this information is not part of the kepub itself.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #1641
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Once the series information is written to the database, a Kobo ereader will sort on series regardless of epub or kepub. As near as I can tell, this information is not part of the kepub itself.
You have a chicken-and-egg issue here: How does the series information get into the database to begin with?

With KEPUBs, it comes from a proprietary extension Kobo has made to the EPUB format and is found in the KEPUB file. With standard EPUBs, the only way to add that is by “cheating” with software (like calibre) which directly inserts that into the reader’s database, and that’s not something Kobo can reasonably be expected to support.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:49 PM   #1642
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
You have a chicken-and-egg issue here: How does the series information get into the database to begin with?

With KEPUBs, it comes from a proprietary extension Kobo has made to the EPUB format and is found in the KEPUB file. With standard EPUBs, the only way to add that is by “cheating” with software (like calibre) which directly inserts that into the reader’s database, and that’s not something Kobo can reasonably be expected to support.
I was under the impression that it was not part of the kepub format but was pushed to the database from Kobo's servers when the book was downloaded.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:30 PM   #1643
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The series information never comes from the file. For purchase and hence downloaded kepubs, it comes from the server. For sideloaded it comes from calibre or something updating. But, once it is there, the firmware doesn't care about the source of the series info. It simply sorts on it, or allows you to search it. Kobo aren't expected to support getting the series info into the database, but they do support search and sorting on what is there.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:15 AM   #1644
jeffcpc
jeffcpc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Both Parental Controls and POCKET are enabled

No sure if anyone has raised such question: when the "Parental Controls" is turned "On" in the latest release of the firmware, POCKET function simply disappeared or turned off!!

This will cause some trouble if I would like to pass my Kobo Aura One to my kids to see some articles in POCKET yet do not want them to purchase any ebooks online.

Is there a solution for such scenario or request?

If this request has been made before, can someone guide me to the solution?

Thanks a lot!!
jeffcpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:59 AM   #1645
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcpc View Post
Yes, enable the Set visible SmartLink patch and select there Replace: 17
Code:
  # 17 - PocketUser      - unread pocket articles > 0                          - POCKET: Catch up on the %n article(s) you added recently         - library -> pocket
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:04 AM   #1646
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No sure if anyone has raised such question: when the "Parental Controls" is turned "On" in the latest release of the firmware, POCKET function simply disappeared or turned off!!

This will cause some trouble if I would like to pass my Kobo Aura One to my kids to see some articles in POCKET yet do not want them to purchase any ebooks online.

If this request has been made before, can someone guide me to the solution?
For the record, I believe this is deliberate. The idea of the Parental Controls is to block access to the net. Pocket is considered as such. If it was available, it would be possible to add something to someones Pocket account and have it appear on the device. That could be considered bad. At the moment, the only place it talks to is the Kobo servers to sync books. And you don't really think they were going to block that do you?
Old 06-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #1647
jeffcpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Yes, enable the Set visible SmartLink patch and select there Replace: 17
Code:
  # 17 - PocketUser      - unread pocket articles > 0                          - POCKET: Catch up on the %n article(s) you added recently         - library -> pocket

Hi Semwize, thanks a lot for the sharing. Would like to clarify further that the above method is to edit the config file under ./kobo directory, right? If not, can you advise where to obtain the mentioned patch?

Thanks again for your help to a newbie here

Jeff
Old 06-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #1648
jeffcpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For the record, I believe this is deliberate. The idea of the Parental Controls is to block access to the net. Pocket is considered as such. If it was available, it would be possible to add something to someones Pocket account and have it appear on the device. That could be considered bad. At the moment, the only place it talks to is the Kobo servers to sync books. And you don't really think they were going to block that do you?
Hi Davidfor, thanks for the comment. However, I believe the restriction can be made more flexible. Like on PC or iMac, there are parental controls as well but it can set the policy on what websites kids can visit and what cannot. Kobo should be able to do similar thing on the device too. And in order to access pocket account, password is needed too and it should be well managed too.

Anyways just my two cents of opinion.

Will try the method that Semwize shared first
Old 06-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #1649
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
can you advise where to obtain the mentioned patch?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320410

patch Set visible SmartLink (libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml)

By applying Replace: 17, you will see a link to the Pocket on the Home screen, below.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #1650
jeffcpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320410

patch Set visible SmartLink (libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml)

By applying Replace: 17, you will see a link to the Pocket on the Home screen, below.
Hi Semwize:
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I get the patch already and found "libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml" but not quite sure about the next step: "By applying Replace: 17" and like to make sure what I think is right so that my 3-day new Aura One would not turn into a brick

Step 1. Use an editor to open "libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml"
Step 2. Change the "no" in the code below to "yes"

Set visible SmartLink:
- Enabled: no ==> change to "yes", right?
- PatchGroup: SmartLink
- Description: |
Sets the currently visible smartlink (does not override priority messages).
# SmartLinks: (name from SmartLinkWidget::getAnalyticsMessage)

Step 3. And the I do not know what I should do with the statement - "By applying Replace: 17"

Should I take out the "#" at the beginning of the next code? Or/And I should change some other statements?

# 17 - PocketUser - unread pocket articles > 0 - POCKET: Catch up on the %n article(s) you added recently - library -> pocket

Step 4. Save the file and then Run kobopatch.bat on Windows or kobopatch.sh on Linux.

Step 5. If the patching succeeded, a file named KoboRoot.tgz will be created in the out folder. Copy it to the .kobo folder of my device

This is my first time to patch my device and would really want to make it work.

Appreciate again for your help!

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo