Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djehuty View Post
I'm trying to get this to work right now, and I'm having no luck. Whether or not I rename the files, the reader won't read them. It says "Protected Page," and that's all.
Your reader is registered to your Sony account where you bought the .lrx file? Does it work if you use the Sony eBook Libray to move it?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #17
KaiGoth
Enthusiast
KaiGoth began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500 & PRS700
I just purchased a 700 this week. I kept all of my .lrx books (from my 500) in the Sony Windows software. Today I connected the 700, registered, and downloaded all my books again. I used the Sony software to push them to the 700. I then used Caliber under OS X to download from the 700 all those .lrx books. In Calibre, I am able to edit the meta data. I removed the tags left by Sony (on all the books) and modified the "series" information for a trilogy. I have since deleted them from the 700 and uploaded them again with Calibre and have had no problems.

As far as I can tell, there is no need to rename files, and Calibre edits the meta data just fine.
KaiGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:43 AM   #18
Djehuty
Connoisseur
Djehuty began at the beginning.

Device: none
*headdesk*

Thanks -- I didn't realize I had to do anything special to authorize my reader. I guess my brief flirtation with a Kindle accustomed me to auto-authorizing devices. I just authorized the reader through the Sony ebook thingamajig, and used Calibre to upload books, and it works just fine.

Thanks for alerting me to my error.
Djehuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:09 AM   #19
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Sorry to resurrect a very old thread. I have some lrx books on my old 505 which I want to move to my paperwhite (for the benefit of the frontlight). I managed to load one into Calibre, but can't do anything with it, not view it nor view the metadata.

I'm getting re-acquainted with Alf, but from reading through his blog it's unclear whether the tools deal with lrx.

Is it possible to read the lrx books on a kindle? Will Calibre convert this format?

Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:33 AM   #20
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Is it possible to read the lrx books on a kindle? Will Calibre convert this format?
Sony reader supported LRF and LRX file types (besides rtf and txt, later epub)
LRX is encrypted (DRMed) and LRF is not.

I think that old versions of Calibre did do conversion of LRF. I am not sure there ever was a tool to de-DRM LRX. It was a long time ago since I have last seen LRX "in the wild" ... I used to own the legendary Sony PRS-500.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #21
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Sony reader supported LRF and LRX file types (besides rtf and txt, later epub)
LRX is encrypted (DRMed) and LRF is not.

I think that old versions of Calibre did do conversion of LRF. I am not sure there ever was a tool to de-DRM LRX. It was a long time ago since I have last seen LRX "in the wild" ... I used to own the legendary Sony PRS-500.
Thanks. I can convert lrf but the drm'd lrx is a problem. I have several on my Sony prs 505 which I downloaded from Sony years ago when they dealt in ereaders. Unfortunately, I've been spoiled by the frontlight on my paperwhite (and have poorer house-lighting than I had at my old house) so want to put them onto the Paperwhite. This can't be a unique situation.

I realise drm stripping isn't discussed here, but I can't see any way of asking Alf, and lrx isn't mentioned.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks. I can convert lrf but the drm'd lrx is a problem. I have several on my Sony prs 505 which I downloaded from Sony years ago when they dealt in ereaders. Unfortunately, I've been spoiled by the frontlight on my paperwhite (and have poorer house-lighting than I had at my old house) so want to put them onto the Paperwhite. This can't be a unique situation.

I realise drm stripping isn't discussed here, but I can't see any way of asking Alf, and lrx isn't mentioned.
Going back a few years but all I remember about lrx and removing drm was that there was no tool to remove lrx DRM. The suggestion from when Sony switched to epub was to re-download the books in epub format and use the standard Adobe tools. Later when Sony sold their customers to Kobo, you downloaded the epubs from your Kobo account.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:32 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
LRX DRM was never cracked. It was never a sufficiently popular format to make it worth the time to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:14 AM   #24
BookCat
C L J

Thanks. I suppose the lrx books are stuck on my old 505 and I'll have to read them there. Maybe if we have a nice summer I'll sit out in the garden with the 505 . . . The battery should last for an hour or two.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks. I suppose the lrx books are stuck on my old 505 and I'll have to read them there. Maybe if we have a nice summer I'll sit out in the garden with the 505 . . . The battery should last for an hour or two.
Can you use a 505 while it charges? Get one of thos battery packs that folk use to extend the run time on their tablets. The only inconvenience is a USB cord between the battery pack and the device.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #26
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
LRX DRM was never cracked. It was never a sufficiently popular format to make it worth the time to do so.
At one moment, LRX was the most popular ebook format on all e-ink readers in the world ;-).
It was also the reason why Sony Librié business model failed.
Back then you couldn't load your own texts on your own reader, only those purchased from Sony (in LRX) could be read. And even those had an expiry date. That was too much even for Japanese customers. In a desperate attempt to save Librié, Sony published software that allowed users to load their own texts on their own readers, but it was too late.
If I remember correctly.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #27
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
At one moment, LRX was the most popular ebook format on all e-ink readers in the world ;-).
It was also the reason why Sony Librié business model failed.
Back then you couldn't load your own texts on your own reader, only those purchased from Sony (in LRX) could be read. And even those had an expiry date. That was too much even for Japanese customers. In a desperate attempt to save Librié, Sony published software that allowed users to load their own texts on their own readers, but it was too late.
If I remember correctly.

This makes me glad I didn't get into ebooks until the 505 was "established"...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #28
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Can you use a 505 while it charges? Get one of thos battery packs that folk use to extend the run time on their tablets. The only inconvenience is a USB cord between the battery pack and the device.
Yes, I have the proprietry charger and the Sony is almost always plugged in, otherwise it 'dies'. But if I want to read in the garden it will have to be unplugged. The battery lasts a couple of hours unplugged, which is all I would need for a read in the sunshine (my house lighting is awful, did Sony ever make covers with lights that I might find on ebay?)
Old 05-27-2019, 09:28 AM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I purchased a Sony case with a fold-down light that hides within the spine area of the case. That must have been around 8-9 years ago.

I still have that case and the 505, (and maybe two 500s), but it's all in storage in the U.S.A.

Next time I visit my country, I'll have to check on all my 'stuff' and see if it all still works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	case.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	171664  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote