Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-13-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
paragme
paragme began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS 505
Looking for help to decide on Reader

Hi,

Yes I know there are several threads already asking your opinion on which to choose. My problem is a little different it is : Whether to go for Sony Reader 505 or not.

I read a lot of tech books (mostly front to back, not as reference). I need some screenshots(or photos) of how PDF file looks like on the Sony reader. I searched a lot but couldn't find posts on how technical books appear on Reader (Ones where I did find are couple of years old).

Is there anyone who can check my 2MB pdf and attach photos here ? This will help me as well as others. Again sorry if I am asking too much here. I am into C#,.NET world.
paragme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
paragme

71 views/0 replies
I figured no one is going to go that extra mile to help anyone!

Anyways Can you tell me how is Ebook LIbrary preview in Full Screen comparable to actual reader output ?

See I am ordering this from US to INDIA, so i am practically buying the product based on advices and reviews
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 02:30 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MobileRead, paragme.

I'm sorry you haven't been able to get a response. I have the 505 but do not have experience with pdf. I actually avoid that format and only use epub, lrf, and lrx. Hopefully, someone with more experience with chime in.

The below link is to the PDF forums..
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=184

If you browse through those threads you will probably note the varying opinions and comments on pdf usage / display on the 505. I know that there has been many comments about pdf tech books and usage on the 505 especially in the which one to buy threads.

Hopefully, the many member comments may help you determine if the 505 is really what you need.

The pdf doesn't preview on the Sony library (epub, lrf, and lrx will open in the Sony Library). You view the pdf with Adobe Reader and I am not sure if the view you see is what is displayed on the 505.

I hope this helps and if my information is incorrect someone will jump in and correct me.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Yep, what Dreams said. It's not that nobody wants to help you, but a lot of us avoid PDFs to begin with. If I had a way of taking a pic of the 505, I'd be happy to help. Here's what you can do though:

Download the Sony ebook software or Calibre, and load the PDFs you want into it. When you view them, they will mimic how the file will look on a 505's screen. You can play with it and try adjustments yourself to see how it looks.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragme View Post
71 views/0 replies
I figured no one is going to go that extra mile to help anyone!
Cheeky! It's just a busy site...

> Can you tell me how is Ebook LIbrary preview in Full Screen comparable to actual reader output ?

It's pretty good, but the ease of reading small fonts is probably going to depend on your screen.

The snaps (camera phone) are from my 'standard' PDF copy of "Wicket in Action", viewed normally (which might be just too small for comfort) and in landscape mode, where you see half a page (and a few lines of overlap) at a time.

That's from the full book, but the same page is visible in the Sample Chapter 1 PDF (page 20, I think) so you can see what it looks like on a PC.

(The last 3 lines of the landscape look worse as they're rendered in a 'half-tone', indicating that they're really part of the next page, where they'll be shown normally with the last few lines on 'this' page in 'half-tone' above them. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15052009059.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	29070   Click image for larger version

Name:	15052009061.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	29071  

Last edited by gwynevans; 05-15-2009 at 07:33 AM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 02:02 AM   #6
paragme

gwynevans, Thanks very much for your inputs. Ebook Library is producing very similar output to Reader itself.

Now I have attached the same PDF Sample Chapter(Just page 20 of the same book that you have screenshot of). I have also attached the images of the same rendered on the Ebook Library. Can you please see this PDF in your reader how it appears (Margins removed). If you can post Snaps that will be extremely helpful for me.

I can see this thread as being very helpful to others as well. If Code PDFs like this one without Margins are appearing great, I would think it will be the ultimate solution for us programmers.

Best Regards,
Parag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SelectedPageWithMargins.png
Views:	276
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	29266   Click image for larger version

Name:	SelectedPageWithoutMargins.png
Views:	285
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	29267  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SampleWicketinActionNoMargins.pdf (47.6 KB, 280 views)
Old 05-19-2009, 06:55 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Sony's Windows ebook Reader, which now emulates a PRS-700. It does not include the landscape mode though, and that may be the most useful mode for complex PDFs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
paragme

Thanks output on Ebook Library Software is awesome once margins are clipped. Just waiting for confirmations.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quick snap at http://www.flickr.com/photos/gwynevans/3545216851/

Actual size of the screen is ~9cm x 12cm, if that helps when working out what size to view the image on your monitor.

I'd say that for me, that's readable in portrait mode in a decent light, but it's near the limit & I wonder if I'd read much at that font-size. On the other hand, the price-step up to the next size displays is rather a big one, so can't really recommend either way!

Last edited by gwynevans; 05-19-2009 at 10:08 AM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:24 AM   #10
paragme

Hi gwynevans,

Thanks very much. It's extremely readable for me (I have great sight yet->touchwood!). Sony's just got a new customer . Now it's between 505 and 700. Some people say contrast is not that bad. Any suggestions welcome.

Tags
505, coding books, programmer