Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
DaveMcA
DaveMcA began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad Kindle app
Unhappy Calibre refuses to convert my docx file

I am using calibre, version 0.9.5 on the Mac, and am trying to convert a .docx file.

I have set the language to French in the metadata, but otherwise have changed nothing in that tab.

On clicking "Convert Books", I get the following error message:

"WARNING: Could not convert some books: Could not convert 1 of 1 books, because no suitable source format was found."

Calibre seems to recognize that it is a .docx file, as it displays this in the section of the main screen under the book cover.

I want to convert to MOBI, but this error occurs before I designate the output format.

If I first save the .docx file as PDF, it converts with no problem. I understand the result will have fewer annoyances if I start with a .docx file, so I would prefer to do so.

DaveMcA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Native docx support was added in 0.9.34; ie quite a few versions after your build.

There is an older plugin (no longer supported) than handled docx input formats. See [Input Plugin] DOCX Input
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcA View Post
I am using calibre, version 0.9.5 on the Mac, and am trying to convert a .docx file.

I have set the language to French in the metadata, but otherwise have changed nothing in that tab.

On clicking "Convert Books", I get the following error message:

"WARNING: Could not convert some books: Could not convert 1 of 1 books, because no suitable source format was found."

Calibre seems to recognize that it is a .docx file, as it displays this in the section of the main screen under the book cover.

I want to convert to MOBI, but this error occurs before I designate the output format.

If I first save the .docx file as PDF, it converts with no problem. I understand the result will have fewer annoyances if I start with a .docx file, so I would prefer to do so.

I suggest you upgrade to a later version of calibre, preferably the very latest, the support for DOCX has been greatly enhanced even since 0.9.34.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I suggest you upgrade to a later version of calibre, preferably the very latest, the support for DOCX has been greatly enhanced even since 0.9.34.
Very true.

@DaveMcA As PeterT points out Docx support did not exist in calibre version 0.9.5 (properly read in context as version 0.9.05) which is well before 0.9.34 and well behind 0.9.50. Update to the latest version and try again.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock will not convert, docx, error message